Wine by the Glass at dinner????

Harley0711

Had a question put to me that I can not truly answer - I have been on several Princess cruises and have always gotten the Wine package for the dinning room. Traveling with friends that do not want the wine package but will enjoy a glass of wine every so often. They ask me can we buy wine by the glass at the dinner table??? I had to think the chuckle a little - I have seen wine ordered but Never paid any attention.

So, can they order wine by the glass at the table?

What wines are usually available?

I have not paid any attention to the wine list for this or is there a separate menu for 'wine by the glass'?

Thanks

you can definitely buy wine by the glass. But not sure what wines are available.

Thanks,,,

Now to find that cruiser that know WHAT wines can be ordered by the glass or at least how many choices - I am not asking for wine names, lol

the Wine list is pretty good - just not sure what by the glass is?

Edited by Harley0711

I frequently order wine by the glass. There are approximately 6 reds and 6 whites available that way. Is that what you want to know?

Thanks,, that pretty much does it.... do you remember if it was a separate wine menu?? I know taste is subjective - but any good??? having 6 to choose from sounds decent

thanks again for taking time here

I have always gotten the silver wine package - limits me to wine at about $30 a bottle - not great but surely not bad either. My favorite white is Silverado chard - $41 a bottle last time

Edited by Harley0711

If they are planning on having wine every evening at dinner, and especially if two of them, why not order a bottle? More economical and they can either have the waiters store it and return to table next evening or they can take it with them to cabin and bring it back themselves.

This works if they are happy with same wine for two or three evenings, depending on how much they drink.

Had a question put to me that I can not truly answer - I have been on several Princess cruises and have always gotten the Wine package for the dinning room. Traveling with friends that do not want the wine package but will enjoy a glass of wine every so often. They ask me can we buy wine by the glass at the dinner table??? I had to think the chuckle a little - I have seen wine ordered but Never paid any attention.

I have not paid any attention to the wine list for this or is there a separate menu for 'wine by the glass'?

Thanks

Yes!

Yes, and there are some wines only available by the glass. I travel with my mom who was never much of a wine drinker (until she started hanging out with my sister and I). But she like sweet wine and now hooked on Moscato which is not available in bottles. So we get her a glass in Vines before dinner and if she finishes it order another at dinner.

You can order it by the glass or bottle. I normally purchase a bottle in the MDR on the first night and they keep it and then I can have my wine each night a dinner.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Dw and I usually order one glass of wine at dinner, I request a receipt at that time so I can compare with portfolio charges. However, the waiter usually gets "huffy" when I ask for a receipt...or I have to beg for it when we are ready to leave the dining room. Anyone else have this problem and a congenial way to avert the situation?

Dw and I usually order one glass of wine at dinner, I request a receipt at that time so I can compare with portfolio charges. However, the waiter usually gets "huffy" when I ask for a receipt...or I have to beg for it when we are ready to leave the dining room. Anyone else have this problem and a congenial way to avert the situation?

I think you are the exception to the rule: most passengers don't want to walk around with little pieces of paper that then clutter the cabin. I would guess that the majority of passengers don't really bother to double-check their portfolio at the end of the cruise. If it seems reasonable and there's nothing really outrageous that stands out, most passengers are probably ok with that.

For me, a really good waiter takes our cards the first night, notes our numbers, and then never asks to see our cards again for the rest of the cruise. We generally know how much we spend each day. But it is certainly within your right to ask for the receipt. Speak to your waiter the first night, and I'd be surprised if you are not accomodated.

Thanks,, that pretty much does it.... do you remember if it was a separate wine menu?? I know taste is subjective - but any good??? having 6 to choose from sounds decent

thanks again for taking time here

I have always gotten the silver wine package - limits me to wine at about $30 a bottle - not great but surely not bad either. My favorite white is Silverado chard - $41 a bottle last time

Most of the wine I drink by the glass is around $9 and I've never had anything I didn't find enjoyable. My husband can't drink because of the meds he takes and I don't always want to drink the same thing, so by the glass usually works for me. At home, I drink old vine Zinfandels and usually they aren't available on cruise ships, (at least in the MDR.)

Edited by mek

We're another couple that likes one glass of wine at dinner, but order a bottle which the waiter stores with our card number. Even when we are in a different dining room the next night, the waiter can bring your stored bottle.

You aren't alone re getting receipts. DH ALWAYS asks for drink receipts at bars and the restaurants. We have been stung with someone else's wine order in the MDR before. The theatre got us for someone's two drinks too. Lesson learned. It's much easier to check your account every now and then, rather than stand in the long line on the last evening with the guests "discussing" their bills. Mistakes happen. but..Personally we don't feel buying drinks for total strangers is where we want to spend our money.;)

We have never had a problem asking for and getting a receipt. The drink servers might not want to make that extra trip to the table, but heck..that's their job.

Edited by eandj

However, the waiter usually gets "huffy" when I ask for a receipt...or I have to beg for it when we are ready to leave the dining room. Anyone else have this problem and a congenial way to avert the situation?

You have encountered some less than professional waiters. They shouldn't get huffy no matter what you ask for. If that happened to me, I think I'd have a word with the head waiter. My waiter staff has always been accommodating even though I've never asked for a receipt.

Thanks

Check out this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47241999&postcount=6

Wine by the glass is available in the MDR, but not the entire wine list. The wine I ordered by the glass was Ancient Peaks. The wine by the glass service this past June on the Caribbean Princess for 8:15 p.m. traditional dining was very slow, though, compared to those who had ordered wine by the bottle. Then again, the dining management started blinking the lights an hour after we had started dinner to let us know that it was time for us to go, so maybe the slow wine service was tied into that.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Fantastic! Thanks for posting!

At Crown Grill last March, I had the Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc with seafood,

And the Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon with the deep dark chocolate dessert.

Both wines were perfect with the aforementioned eats:)

Salud and Bon appetit!