Do they inforce the dress code??

When we were on a carnival cruise a few years ago we were able to wear dress shorts and and a nice shirt into the main dining room for dinner each night but it appears that shorts are not allowed in the main dining room on Royal Caribbean ...is this true? Will they really not let us in the main dining room at night with out a dress or a skirt or fancy pants on???

Edited by lynndeeloonurse43063

When we were on a caravel cruise a few years ago we were able to wear dress shorts and and a nice shirt into the dining room but it appears that shorts are not allowed in the main dining room...is this true???

They are allowed at Breakfast and Lunch and on the first night at Dinner. We have seen many people turned away in the evening when they were wearing dress shorts. We have also seen some people wearing shorts that either were allowed or managed to "sneak" in among the crowd. If you do try, I would suggest that you be prepared to be politely denied entrance.:)

When we were on a caravel cruise a few years ago we were able to wear dress shorts and and a nice shirt into the dining room but it appears that shorts are not allowed in the main dining room...is this true???

Here is the current thread on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2238812

To answer the question in title of the thread, no they don't enforce it all the time on all ships as you will read in the replies that are bound to come on this thread. Should they? IMHO yes, if they put a sign outside the MDR stating what is and what isn't acceptable. Edited by peteukmcr

Just off Grandeur of the Seas Friday. The first evening dress shorts (for gentlemen) are permitted in the Dining room owing to the fact luggage is still in the process of being distributed to staterooms. Afterwards, for the duration of the cruise, the no shorts rule was strictly enforced. I did in fact see several men turned away on more than one occasion!

We are recently off the Rhapsody and the gentleman in front of us in the breakfast line in the dining room, was denied entrance because he was wearing a tank top. Tank tops are allowed for ladies.

0P – slacks and tops do not need to be fancy.

We have seen men denied entrance to the dining room while wearing shorts, and on the same cruise we have seen others allowed in.

Just to add to the confusion –On a recent European vacation, I noticed very dressy shorts/hot pant outfits for ladies. (I know I am dating myself by using the term hotpants). The outfit looks more like a short silk cocktail dress but if you look closely you can see that it was actually shorts. These women were in some of the fanciest restaurants and hotels around. Wonder how this will be addressed in the future?

M

Recently aboard Navigator I was told be a Head Waiter that RCI had recently issued instructions that shorts were OK at dinner in Main Dining Room except on Formal Nights.

This is what I've experienced. I've never seen a patron turned away for wearing shorts, but I do see shorts in the MDR on most nights. I hope this statement is true, because I think a nice shorts outfit is perfectly appropriate for MDR on non-formal nights.

What I don't understand on these endless threads about shorts is why people don't distinguish between types of shorts. There's a difference between baggy board/gym shorts and and fitted men's shorts that are just like long pants except that they are knee-length. And surely all long pants are not equal either. A pair of scruffy jogging pants qualifies as long pants.

So are you sticklers telling us it's okay for a man to wear long scruffy jogging pants to the MDR, but not okay for him to wear fitted knee-length tailored shorts? Because that makes no sense to me.

This is what I've experienced. I've never seen a patron turned away for wearing shorts, but I do see shorts in the MDR on most nights. I hope this statement is true, because I think a nice shorts outfit is perfectly appropriate for MDR on non-formal nights.
Because folks are still being denied entrance to the MDR for wearing shorts.

There is no such thing as "dress shorts".

Sure there are, they sell them in the same aisle as the "dress jeans". When you buy either, you get bonus points if you present your CruiseCritic Dress Code Debate Club membership card.

Edited by bouhunter

So are you sticklers telling us it's okay for a man to wear long scruffy jogging pants to the MDR, but not okay for him to wear fitted knee-length tailored shorts? Because that makes no sense to me.

Nope. That is not what we are saying. We are saying that neither are appropriate. Common sense folks, common sense.

What I don't understand on these endless threads about shorts is why people don't distinguish between types of shorts. There's a difference between baggy board/gym shorts and and fitted men's shorts that are just like long pants except that they are knee-length. And surely all long pants are not equal either. A pair of scruffy jogging pants qualifies as long pants.

What really makes no sense to me is that people can be so ignorant or possibly self-centered that they can clearly read how the cruise line requests that they dress in one venue for an hour or so and yet cannot be respectful enough to do so. No, it doesn't ruin my dinner, just makes me feel disrespected.

what really makes no sense to me is that people can be so ignorant or possibly self-centered that they can clearly read how the cruise line requests that they dress in one venue for an hour or so and yet cannot be respectful enough to do so. No, it doesn't ruin my dinner, just makes me feel disrespected.

like.

When we were on a carnival cruise a few years ago we were able to wear dress shorts and and a nice shirt into the main dining room for dinner each night but it appears that shorts are not allowed in the main dining room on Royal Caribbean ...is this true? Will they really not let us in the main dining room at night with out a dress or a skirt or fancy pants on???

We have come into the main dining room many times in shorts. We have also been turned away (once). I believe they acknowledge the fact that shorts can be reasonable in tropical areas. As long as you are not slovenly dressed they will not say anything.

The idea of telling people not to wear shorts is to keep people from wearing swimwear to dinner(at least that is what I see).

As for being presentable, we have people in professional environments on a daily basis in shorts. it is all about how it is presented. Hell, Bermuda has been doing it for YEARS!