Older teen on Adventure of the Seas

My 17 yr old daughter will be with us on our cruise in Oct, does anyone by chance have the older teen program compasses? I know most don't want to do the program and she might not either, but she has a hard time meeting people and I don't want her bored. I want her be able to go and have fun and not feel like she has to stay with her 3 yr old brother. Although I'm hoping I can have her stay with him in the cabin at least one night.

If you have had someone go please post and if anyone hAs the compasses, even better. We're doing the route out of San Juan to Barbados, St. Kitts, St Lucia etc.....

My daughter is on the ship right now, she turned 18 on Saturday when the ship left San Juan and she will be back home next weekend. Her and her best friend were very interested in the teen club as they had a blast in the teen club on a Carnival cruise last summer so when she gets back I will see if she saved anything and if they were able to get into the teen club. Since both of them are now officially 18 they were concerned they might not be allowed in the teen club. They had a blast on the Carnival Cruise.

They are in St. Kitts today and I'm missing her already, I'm assuming she is having a great time, and once she gets back home over the weekend I'll update here to let you know how the teen club was.

That would be great! Especially if she can hang on to the compasses or things that they did. Mine will still officially be 17 so getting in to the teen club shouldn't be an issue. I just want her to be able to meet others and enjoy. A review from her would be awesome.

We love RCL but my daughter had issues with the clubs growing up. On many cruises we took one of her friends who was a year younger. Sometimes that difference would exclude them from going to the same club. Additionally when she was 19 and 20 years old there was very little to do at night because the kids clubs were 18 and younger, and real night clubs are 21+. And RCL is very strict on their alcohol policy-- unlike Carnival where she could drink wine with us at dinner in high school.

We love RCL but my daughter had issues with the clubs growing up. On many cruises we took one of her friends who was a year younger. Sometimes that difference would exclude them from going to the same club. Additionally when she was 19 and 20 years old there was very little to do at night because the kids clubs were 18 and younger, and real night clubs are 21+. And RCL is very strict on their alcohol policy-- unlike Carnival where she could drink wine with us at dinner in high school.

The teen clubs are for 12-14 and 15-17, 18 year olds are not allowed. 18 year olds are allowed in the night clubs and bars but can not drink until age 21 on all cruises sailing from North America. Drinking age is 18 on cruises sailing from Europe, Asia, South America, Australia and New Zealand.

The guest conduct policy has a good table of all the age restrictions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

Edited by reallyitsmema

Hello Luv4trvl, well my daughter got home yesterday from the AOS and she had a great time. Unforunately she wasn't able to go into the Teen club as the other poster mentioned they are strict about the ages and since she officially turned 18 the day the cruise embarked she was not allowed in the teen club. They were pretty bummed about that, and they did have a great time on the ship and at all the ports. They went to St. Maarten, St. Kitts/Nevis, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados and had a great time off the ship. She did comment and say they had more fun on the Carnival ship though in terms on on ship fun and that all had to do with the fact they were not allowed to be in the teen club and they really didn't find too many other kids their age on the ship since there was no place for 18-20 years olds to meet.

She said even though they were allowed to go into the adult Disco at night she said it was lame,, LOL.. because there were all peopole in their 40's in there and they didn't see any one their own age.

So, I can't really give a report at all on the teen club, but based off of the fun my daughter had in the teen club on Carnival last summer I have a feeling your daughter will have a good time on AOS.

If your doing almost the same itinerary and you stop in St. Maarten she suggested everyone should visit the beach in Maho where the planes are all landing overhead near the beach area, they had a blast there.

I hope you have a great time!!

I wish Royal would have something for the 18-20 year olds....maybe not a club space but several meet and greet areas especially the first night....Carnival is starting a "1820 club" for this age group....interested to see how it works.

Hello Luv4trvl, well my daughter got home yesterday from the AOS and she had a great time. Unforunately she wasn't able to go into the Teen club as the other poster mentioned they are strict about the ages and since she officially turned 18 the day the cruise embarked she was not allowed in the teen club. They were pretty bummed about that, and they did have a great time on the ship and at all the ports. They went to St. Maarten, St. Kitts/Nevis, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados and had a great time off the ship. She did comment and say they had more fun on the Carnival ship though in terms on on ship fun and that all had to do with the fact they were not allowed to be in the teen club and they really didn't find too many other kids their age on the ship since there was no place for 18-20 years olds to meet.

She said even though they were allowed to go into the adult Disco at night she said it was lame,, LOL.. because there were all peopole in their 40's in there and they didn't see any one their own age.

So, I can't really give a report at all on the teen club, but based off of the fun my daughter had in the teen club on Carnival last summer I have a feeling your daughter will have a good time on AOS.

If your doing almost the same itinerary and you stop in St. Maarten she suggested everyone should visit the beach in Maho where the planes are all landing overhead near the beach area, they had a blast there.

I hope you have a great time!!

Thanks tpadul for the update, sorry your daughter didn't get to enjoy as much. At least mine won't turn 18 this trip. Hopefully I can get her to go to the meet and greet the first night. I know in St. Maarten right now the plan is for her to do a scuba dive since she is certified, I just hope she'll be cautious and safe since none of the rest of us dive.

I wish Royal would have something for the 18-20 year olds....maybe not a club space but several meet and greet areas especially the first night....Carnival is starting a "1820 club" for this age group....interested to see how it works.

Totally agree with you!! It's amazing how much they cater to the families with kids under 18 and then to everyone over 21, but for that akward age of 18-20 they seem to be stuck with no activities and that really doesn't seem to make sense, when they can easily make a club for the 18/20's

I told my daughter that now she is probably not going to want to do too many cruises until she is at least 21, but again she is about to join the Navy so she will be on a whole different kind of ship doing a bunch of other stuff that will keep her busy for the next 4-5 years.. Go Navy!!!!

I know I have it but just have to find it (still unpacking from my July 24 cruise) Definitely have her go to the first night event I think that starts at 9. That's where my daughter made some friends for the rest of the cruise!

That's not true at all. "Real" night clubs are all 18+. I fail to see why being able to have alcohol or not can possibly influence one's enjoyment in the night clubs. One can't dance and have a good time without alcohol?

That's not true at all. "Real" night clubs are all 18+. I fail to see why being able to have alcohol or not can possibly influence one's enjoyment in the night clubs. One can't dance and have a good time without alcohol?

Geri I think what possibly Caseymorgan may have been referring to is exactly what my daughter said about her experience going into the real nightclub on the ship. To her age group 18 it was lame because the club was filled with older people around 40'ish and up that were old enough to be her parents, and therefore since there really were not any other 18-20 year old in the nightclub the few nights they tried it out, it was lame and they didn't have a good time.

I think for this reason alone the rest of the 18-20's somethings on the ship probably don't frequent the nightclub, now if the ship were to advertise certain hours every night where they would cater to the 18-20's somethings in the real nightclub to try and attract them to come in then maybe it would be fun.

It appears that there is a total lack of any kind of activites planned for that age group which again seems kind of odd seeing that they spend so much time catering to the under 18 year old with all the kids club activities then the entire ship caters to those that are 21 and over.

Just a thought based off what my daughter said.

I can totally see how they should do something for the 18-20 year olds. I guess that's where they play in the whole singles activities, but even then you have an older group of people so feels awkward. Glad we are doing this now before she turns 18 in April, it'll be a couple of years before we can go again.

Tuliplvr, if you find that info that will be awesome and I'd appreciate it.

RCCL, 18 year olds are adults, and they can go into clubs. They can gamble, and do everything that is "legal" from the port of departure. They can't purchase or consume drinks. Isn't it a good thing, RCCL, unlike Carnival is strict with enforcing their rules?

Geri I think what possibly Caseymorgan may have been referring to is exactly what my daughter said about her experience going into the real nightclub on the ship. To her age group 18 it was lame because the club was filled with older people around 40'ish and up that were old enough to be her parents, and therefore since there really were not any other 18-20 year old in the nightclub the few nights they tried it out, it was lame and they didn't have a good time.

I think for this reason alone the rest of the 18-20's somethings on the ship probably don't frequent the nightclub, now if the ship were to advertise certain hours every night where they would cater to the 18-20's somethings in the real nightclub to try and attract them to come in then maybe it would be fun.

It appears that there is a total lack of any kind of activites planned for that age group which again seems kind of odd seeing that they spend so much time catering to the under 18 year old with all the kids club activities then the entire ship caters to those that are 21 and over.

Just a thought based off what my daughter said.

I understand that - I just don't understand what "magically" happens once a person turns 21. They don't offer anything for the, say, 21-25 year olds either and I don't see anyone complaining about that. If the people in the clubs are "old" to an 18-20 year old, wouldn't they be equally as "old" to a 21 year old? You say "the entire ship caters to those that are 21 and over" - you're talking anywhere from a year to three years age difference. Sorry, it doesn't compute.

RCCL, 18 year olds are adults, and they can go into clubs. They can gamble, and do everything that is "legal" from the port of departure. They can't purchase or consume drinks. Isn't it a good thing, RCCL, unlike Carnival is strict with enforcing their rules?

I don't know where you got the idea that CCL serves to under 21. Last year my son went on a CCL cruise with us was 2 weeks from his 21st birthday and they would not serve him any alcohol at all. OTOH I have been told that NCL will serve wine and beer to 18 to 20 year olds.

And the young adults in this age range are bored to tears.