Rude Passengers

sarasfw

what does this term mean."On my watch..."

Have heard it before, but am unsure.

Can someone explain ??

Thanks

Members of a ship's crew stand a "watch", which means it is their job to look out for trouble. So, when someone says, "Not on my watch" they mean not while it is their turn to look out for trouble.

I think the issue is the definition of "right by" the window. If there is space to stand between the table and the window' date=' then it isn't a private view for that table. On the other hand, if the table fully abuts the window or has a gap of a very few inches (not enough for a person to stand), then it isn't an aisle, walkway, or standing zone. If there is a 2 foot gap between "his" table and the window, that's a walkway or viewing area, not the private space belonging to the table![/quote']

Actually he was looking not directly square out the window but at a 30 degree oblique angle. Picture two tables against the window but with a 5 foot space between them. That space is where people would walk up to to view. He was looking out that middle ground space from the right side table and felt it was "his" window.

Open rail space is fair game. Sorry your view was blocked, but I am on the side of the gentleman on the railing......:):):)

Bob

Hey, no one needs to apologize. I opened it up for opinions, no matter what. I had placed the foot of the chair right up to the plexiglass panel (a couple of inches back or so), but the side of the chair was not quite jammed against the windbreak panel. A person needed to shimmy down the edge sideways to make it squeezed in. I'd have had nothing to say if he was on the immediate other side of the thin windbreak panel of course. It just seemed to me he was into my personal space - no matter where the chair might have been.

I imagine in future I will go back to standing/walking around for sail-away.

Actually he was looking not directly square out the window but at a 30 degree oblique angle. Picture two tables against the window but with a 5 foot space between them. That space is where people would walk up to to view. He was looking out that middle ground space from the right side table and felt it was "his" window.

Sounds to me like 5 feet of open space is fair game for anyone who wants to stand there. People are certainly interesting as to what they consider their personal space.

Open rail space is fair game. Sorry your view was blocked, but I am on the side of the gentleman on the railing......:):):)

I think most people would assume that someone in a lounger was not interested in watching the sail away since that is traditionally a standing-up activity (for the able bodied.)

Sounds to me like 5 feet of open space is fair game for anyone who wants to stand there. People are certainly interesting as to what they consider their personal space.

Indeed.

We were on the Royal this past Oct. and during sail-away, a man had 2 pool towels on the railing to "save the space for his friends".

Chair hogs, now railing hogs....what next??

Rudeness I saw on the Regal last December: People paying good money to rent cabanas at the Retreat pool. Other strangers deciding to park their asses on the end of the cabana area to hang out by the pool. I mean, hey, why not just crawl in the bed with the paying guests? If I were in that cabana I would have shoved them off with my foot!

Also on the same sailing, we were at the Seawalk bar, all ready for the bartender flair show which is VERY popular. Managed to squeak in at the end of the bar, standing. There is a man next to us sitting on a stool, he has a cane with him and is wearing a hat that indicates he is a US Veteran, and is beyond retirement age. A lady comes up to the bar after the show has started with a 2 or 3 year old, she is trying to show this child the flair show (why are you trying to entertain your baby with bartenders throwing liquor around at a bar which is intended for adults to enjoy?) She manages to finagle her way in near the bar and eventually, through sheer brute force and determination, wrangles the Vet off his stool so she can bounce her baby on it throughout the show. So he had to stand the whole time. The man she displaced was a perfect gentleman about it. I, however, wanted to throw her overboard!

Some interesting stories here in this thread...I guess I will share one here. I won't name the cruise line since the incident is under NDA.

The story starts in the dining room when a passenger sees something that another passenger was wearing something that was considered rude or inappropriate. The article in question wasn't anything offensive in and of itself and is something that is worn by many people everyday. So the passenger flags a waiter down and requests that the waiter remedy the situation by having the offending passenger remove the article. So the waiter walks over to the other passenger and politely asks the passenger to remove the article. I'm not sure what was said, but the passenger did not remove the article. Once again the initiating passenger flags the waiter down and makes the request again. This time, the waiter went over and forcibly removed the article off the passenger.

When it was all said and done, the cruise line fully compensated the 'rude' passenger and more.

I guess I can be considered one of the rude passengers as I love being the self-appointed chair lounger police.

I see a lounge chair by the pool that has been saved by a towel yet not used for over an hour then I walk over, grab the towel, and toss it in the dirty towel bin thereby freeing up the chair.

Call me rude I don't care no chair saving on my watch. :eek:

By the way respond how you wish but good luck stopping me.

Some enjoy dance classes or bingo I love my self-appointed job as I lay by the pool. :D

I think you should start with something simple, like world peace, then move onto the bigger issues, like chair hogs.

cruiseshiphog.jpg

tumblr_mm7jt3yT6R1qc6c87o1_500.jpg

what does this term mean."On my watch..."

Have heard it before, but am unsure.

Can someone explain ??

Thanks

It means while I'm around, comes from when someone aw on active duty and means in effect it won't happen when I'm on duty, it as been expanded over time to mean not while I'm around.

We were on the Royal this past Oct. and during sail-away, a man had 2 pool towels on the railing to "save the space for his friends".

Chair hogs, now railing hogs....what next??

Yeah, that would last about three seconds with me.

Once there was a guy in a room a few doors down from us who thought it would be a good idea to put on headphones, sing at the top of his lungs, and pound as hard as he could on a set of bongos that he brought with him (I saw him with the bongos while we were waiting to disembark a few days later. That’s how I knew what he had been pounding on). He went on and on. It sounded like a street performer pounding on the bottom of an empty five-gallon bucket with drum sticks. I was trying to sit on my balcony and read, and my wife was trying to take a nap in the room, but, no go. I went inside, and she said, "WHAT the hell is that?!" I called security and they came to our room. The guard went out on our balcony, and when he heard the guy, he said, “Really? Gees!” He went to the guy’s room and took care of it.

So my idea of rudess is the miss-use of electric scooters, assuming that being in a scooter allows you to cut in line, be it at dinner, embarcation, and especially elevators. In addition the scooter user that does not control said speed with the flow of traffic, be it too slow or fast. I am happy to help out, hold the elevator door etc., but when there is a line, I don't see why a scooter allows one to jump in line, or as bothers me the most the expections that one can jump in line.

Some interesting stories here in this thread...I guess I will share one here. I won't name the cruise line since the incident is under NDA.

The story starts in the dining room when a passenger sees something that another passenger was wearing something that was considered rude or inappropriate. The article in question wasn't anything offensive in and of itself and is something that is worn by many people everyday. So the passenger flags a waiter down and requests that the waiter remedy the situation by having the offending passenger remove the article. So the waiter walks over to the other passenger and politely asks the passenger to remove the article. I'm not sure what was said, but the passenger did not remove the article. Once again the initiating passenger flags the waiter down and makes the request again. This time, the waiter went over and forcibly removed the article off the passenger.

When it was all said and done, the cruise line fully compensated the 'rude' passenger and more.

That's a horrible situation to put a waiter in to begin with. It must have been something really offensive to have been forcibly removed.:eek: I wouldn't think a waiter would be that aggressive no matter what the situation and was demoted to a position not working with any passengers.

I think most people would assume that someone in a lounger was not interested in watching the sail away since that is traditionally a standing-up activity (for the able bodied.)

Indeed.

But I certainly wasn't interested in a view of a man's legs and behind. :D

So my idea of rudess is the miss-use of electric scooters, assuming that being in a scooter allows you to cut in line, be it at dinner, embarcation, and especially elevators. In addition the scooter user that does not control said speed with the flow of traffic, be it too slow or fast. I am happy to help out, hold the elevator door etc., but when there is a line, I don't see why a scooter allows one to jump in line, or as bothers me the most the expections that one can jump in line.

Umm....it doesn't. As the parent of an adult daughter with a disability issue, I can tell you that there are many wonderful people who will wave her in if an elevator comes which is lovely, but she is able to wait her turn like anyone else. I think people offer because whether in a wheelchair, scooter, or using a walker, she has no choice--the elevator is essential for her. She doesn't like electric scooters because she is concerned that she'll hit someone. People walk in front of her and don't look. This is a particular problem at theme parks, which is the one place she absolutely needs the scooter.

Let me assure you that if I ever caught her cutting a line using mobility assist equipment as an excuse it would be the last time it happened.

Part of the problem on the ship is that there are people using scooters who don't use them in everyday life and have very poor control of their equipment. That may be part of the traffic flow issue. But no, a scooter shouldn't buy you the right to be rude or an expectation that cutting the line is OK.

That said, unless you've needed it or lived with someone who has, I don't think you can appreciate what a limitation a mobility or balance problem can be.

Hi,

On a recent cruise I was going to sit near a lady who had two empty

seats (on either side of her) on a tender. She told me that both of

them were reserved. She then told me that she didn't want anyone sitting

next to her. I said "really?".

Some of this discussion reminds me of an experience that actually happened to me at a local mall. As I was entering the mall I held open the door to let a lady (or so I thought) enter. She stopped dead in her tracks and yelled at me, "I can open my own doors."

Hank

Some of this discussion reminds me of an experience that actually happened to me at a local mall. As I was entering the mall I held open the door to let a lady (or so I thought) enter. She stopped dead in her tracks and yelled at me, "I can open my own doors."

Hank

Are you sure her accent didn't fool you. Perhaps she said, "I can open my own drawers."

On the other hand, what does she do when she comes to an automatic door?