Early Del Rio Legacy vs the Sheehan Legacy

mianmike

Well he has just had his contract extended until 2019 so I guess you are all stuck with him and will have plenty of time to see if he helps or hurts NCL..

Jancruz1

Sorry, but I can't see how the length of his contract matters one bit. When they want you to go, you go.

Kevin Sheehan was not at the end of his contract....

We're you at least a little annoyed with him? He made you look foolish not once but twice. If I were you and he told me anything I would keep my lips buttoned because he's making u look like you have no idea what your talking about. I'm not saying it's your fault, it's HIS fault for giving you false information. You do know that any statement you make going forward that was give to your by FDR won't be believed at all. So going ahead shhhhhh what he tells you

Geri

Geri, yes of course I was annoyed and told him but that is part of life..if you noticed tho I talk to him often, I do not post anything anymore..

BTW I am a baseball Grandmother..how much fun is this!!

Jancruz1

Geri, yes of course I was annoyed and told him but that is part of life..if you noticed tho I talk to him often, I do not post anything anymore..

BTW I am a baseball Grandmother..how much fun is this!!

Jancruz1

Gotcha

Oh how I miss watching my son play football. He was at the Washington Redskins and tore his pec and that was that poof all the dreams and aspirations gone in one fleeting moment. Although now I get to see him every day well until he moves out lol. It's has been a joy.

Geri

Gotcha

Oh how I miss watching my son play football. He was at the Washington Redskins and tore his pec and that was that poof all the dreams and aspirations gone in one fleeting moment. Although now I get to see him every day well until he moves out lol. It's has been a joy.

Geri

And my grandson is with the St Louis Cardinals and is recovering from TJ surgery....Im glad your son is OK and he has a wonderful life ahead of him!!!!

Jancruz1

Sorry, but I can't see how the length of his contract matters one bit. When they want you to go, you go.

Kevin Sheehan was not at the end of his contract....

Yes, that makes me wonder if the board of directors showed Kevin Sheehan the door as maybe he wasn't too keen on all the cost cutting measures which included dismantling some of what he had accomplished while building the brand.

Yes, that makes me wonder if the board of directors showed Kevin Sheehan the door as maybe he wasn't too keen on all the cost cutting measures which included dismantling some of what he had accomplished while building the brand.

It would be a very likely scenario. Who wants to have to watch all of your hard work and goodwill built over the years be tossed aside like that. Kevin respected his guests whereas FDR has zero respect for the people who pay his salary. I can't believe the things that come out of his mouth, does he not understand that people are listening as he talks about us all with such distain?

I think you are absolutely right. I think Kevin, may have pushed back on the changes and that was it. I stand by what I posted earlier about Oceania/Regent not making the money necessary to keep the combined company profitable (based on numerous financial articles), thus leading to the changes at NCL to help bring in necessary revenue. NCL found itself between a rock and a hard place, they needed to grow and diversify and due to Carnival Corp and the Royal Caribbean Cruises already swallowing up the majority of the other brands, they weren't left with many options outside of starting a new line (which would have been costly).

I'm not sure how they could have done this but the best option would have been to leave Regent as the luxury line it is, but transition Oceania into a direct competitor with Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. Lets face it, with Oceania being FDR's "baby," that would be a nonstarter. As per the various articles I've read in financial papers, Oceania has never really been that profitable. So by transiting them to that market, in my opinion would give them the best chance turn a profit, allow them to grow in fleet size, and help the overall company's bottom line. That would also leave NCL alone and not have to nickel and dime its loyal passengers so much. Also by doing that you put direct competition on Carnival and Royal. As it is now, that segment of the cruise market is left completely to those behemoths outside of the Haven experience.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

I'm thinking that his last two years salary had a little something with him calling it quits.

I actually agree with you. NCL is definitely "budget". That's why I sail on it when my budget is tight. As for competing with Carnival, it's true both have been " bottom feeders ", but Del Rio is trying to raise it a bit, perhaps to the level of RCCL or Princess, both a bare step above NCL, Carnival, MSC and Costa, the ones at the bottom of the heap.

There is no way NCL will ever be in the same class as Oceania, let alone Regent. By getting way from the " milk runs" and into real cruising, even with just a small portion of NCL, he's a step closer to that goal.

Of course, they will still have a good chunk of the cruise line on milk runs, it's what the bottom feeders expect. In the mean time, serious cruisers like your partner may reconsider NCL.

The use of the term "bottom feeders" is confusing to me. Can you clarify the meaning of this term ?

I think you are absolutely right. I think Kevin, may have pushed back on the changes and that was it. I stand by what I posted earlier about Oceania/Regent not making the money necessary to keep the combined company profitable (based on numerous financial articles), thus leading to the changes at NCL to help bring in necessary revenue. NCL found itself between a rock and a hard place, they needed to grow and diversify and due to Carnival Corp and the Royal Caribbean Cruises already swallowing up the majority of the other brands, they weren't left with many options outside of starting a new line (which would have been costly).

I'm not sure how they could have done this but the best option would have been to leave Regent as the luxury line it is, but transition Oceania into a direct competitor with Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. Lets face it, with Oceania being FDR's "baby," that would be a nonstarter. As per the various articles I've read in financial papers, Oceania has never really been that profitable. So by transiting them to that market, in my opinion would give them the best chance turn a profit, allow them to grow in fleet size, and help the overall company's bottom line. That would also leave NCL alone and not have to nickel and dime its loyal passengers so much. Also by doing that you put direct competition on Carnival and Royal. As it is now, that segment of the cruise market is left completely to those behemoths outside of the Haven experience.

Here is another scenario to consider.

Maybe Sheehan and some of the board members objected to Apollo's power play in which they uprooted some of the board members and engineered the transaction in which NCL "purchased" the two money losing cruise lines. This seems logical since Apollo is now in control of the NCLH board and put their boy Del Rio in charge. Genting is backing out of the scene.and in the shake up, they forfeited their positions on the NCLH board.

Maybe Sheehan and some of the board members objected to Apollo's power play in which they uprooted some of the board members and engineered the transaction in which NCL "purchased" the two money losing cruise lines. This seems logical since Apollo is now in control of the NCLH board and put their boy Del Rio in charge. Genting is backing out of the scene.and in the shake up, they forfeited their positions on the NCLH board.

Very plausible as well.

Goodness - I almost agree with you! I have also wondered if Sheehan made some folks angry when he began firing everyone in sight at Oceania and Regent - not a good way to start.

Still disagree about Regent and Oceania being two money losing cruise lines. Luxury lines (such as Seabourn - owned by Carnival) run on very slim profit margins. Profits did take a hit when Oceania built two new ships and Regent began construction of the "most luxurious cruise ship in the world". One can only imagine how much money that is costing. Apollo/PCH/Regent spent mega millions of dollars to fix up the three ships after they were purchased approximately 7 years ago (when they were truly losing a lot of money and were not in good shape). Regent was finally in a good financial position when it became obvious that three ships were could not meet the volume of passengers that want to sail on Regent - thus, the 4th ship.

Genting is in a position of almost having a conflict of interest since it is now very invested in Crystal (bought out around July of this year). It is no wonder that they are forfeiting positions on the NCHL board.

For those posters that are into numbers, it would be interesting to learn the profit that is being made by Seabourn. It sounds as if Carnival, HAL, Princess, etc., are supporting their luxury cruise product.

I'm leaving the topic of FDR alone for now. He was obviously not selected to be CEO because he failed at running previous cruise lines.

let it go for heavens sake....you obviously were not around when Sheehan took over!!!

I think you read this wrong. OP is stating that Del Rio is doing damage to the brand, and excellent reputation that Sheehan built during his time in charge. Cuts are not good for the overall customer experience.

I think you read this wrong. OP is stating that Del Rio is doing damage to the brand, and excellent reputation that Sheehan built during his time in charge. Cuts are not good for the overall customer experience.

You should read the posts from 2007 or 2010 when Sheehan raise the DSC from $10 to $12 and then some complaint posts from years after that regarding all other things regarding him - its literally the same people moaning & groaning since then on Sheehan, but now with Del Rio instead. Seriously, one would think those posts were written today.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

You should read the posts from 2007 or 2010 when Sheehan raise the DSC from $10 to $12 and then some complaint posts from years after that regarding all other things regarding him - its literally the same people moaning & groaning since then on Sheehan, but now with Del Rio instead. Seriously, one would think those posts were written today.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Umm no. It's not the same. I was here.

Still disagree about Regent and Oceania being two money losing cruise lines. Luxury lines (such as Seabourn - owned by Carnival) run on very slim profit margins. Profits did take a hit when Oceania built two new ships and Regent began construction of the "most luxurious cruise ship in the world". One can only imagine how much money that is costing. Apollo/PCH/Regent spent mega millions of dollars to fix up the three ships after they were purchased approximately 7 years ago (when they were truly losing a lot of money and were not in good shape). Regent was finally in a good financial position when it became obvious that three ships were could not meet the volume of passengers that want to sail on Regent - thus, the 4th ship.

So a company whose value is $850 million and had debts of over $660 million is profitable? Thats 2/3rds of it value in debt. Doesn't seem very profitable. I am intrigued by the research on Seabourn, Im going out on a trip tonight but once I get to my hotel and during my layover I'm going to see what I can find in that regards. The difference is Carnival Corp has multiple lines to help pick up the slack. NCLH does not.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

Goodness - I almost agree with you! I have also wondered if Sheehan made some folks angry when he began firing everyone in sight at Oceania and Regent - not a good way to start.

Genting is in a position of almost having a conflict of interest since it is now very invested in Crystal (bought out around July of this year). It is no wonder that they are forfeiting positions on the NCHL board.

For those posters that are into numbers, it would be interesting to learn the profit that is being made by Seabourn. It sounds as if Carnival, HAL, Princess, etc., are supporting their luxury cruise product.

I'm leaving the topic of FDR alone for now. He was obviously not selected to be CEO because he failed at running previous cruise lines.

If you check the numbers that were reported to SEC, you may get a different view on the profitability of Oceania and Regent.

As far as Genting is concerned, they can invest in any business they choose. They see more potential there than in NCLH.

Carnival can well afford to support their satellite companies because they are managing their debt very well compared to NCLH and Royal. The debt/equity ratios are vastly different.

And my grandson is with the St Louis Cardinals and is recovering from TJ surgery....Im glad your son is OK and he has a wonderful life ahead of him!!!!

Jancruz1

Sending healing wishes to your grandson. Hope his recovery is smooth and uneventful:)

Someone on a recent page stated that NCL keeps charging and charging and never giving anything back in return (I believe they said "taking and taking......." Let's think about this for a minute. What company has increased costs and given back to their customers to make up for the increases? What comes to mind are the airlines. They charge for everything - food, drinks - sometimes even water (and on Ryan Air there is a charge to use the restroom). The more they charge, the less you get! The airlines are now very profitable - customers are basically unhappy (except for Southwest that actually gives customers birthday cards and drink tickets as a gift). Rather than giving an individual thank you to everyone, NCL is creating a better environment for their guests (improved food, ships, etc.)

Edited by Travelcat2

So a company whose value is $850 million and had debts of over $660 million is profitable? Thats 2/3rds of it value in debt. Doesn't seem very profitable. I am intrigued by the research on Seabourn, Im going out on a trip tonight but once I get to my hotel and during my layover I'm going to see what I can find in that regards. The difference is Carnival Corp has multiple lines to help pick up the slack. NCLH does not.

Seriously? Debt / Equity ratio = profitability now?

Look at it this way: if your income covers your expenses, you are profitable. So if you pay your mortgage, car payment, heat & hydro etc. and have anything left over, you are profitable.

COMPLETELY unrelated:

If your mortgage is $250,000 and your house is only $300,000 then you have $50,000 of equity in the house.

The $50k in equity has NOTHING to do with your margin of profitability. Not a single, solitary thing.

I think they brought in the new guy because of the bottom line was making money. He would have no loyalty to any of the old employees so he could get rid of who ever he wants. He will clean house cut corners and boost profits. This will make him popular for a few years. But usealy what follows is he starts to not make the profits he used to there are no more corners to cut and no more people to axe. All the good folks that were not brought in by him will leave by then and go to another line.

Rather than giving an individual thank you to everyone, NCL is creating a better environment for their guests (improved food, ships, etc.)

I keep "hearing" this, but will I "experience" it on my cruse this September? Or my cruise next September? Or my cruise in December 2017? Will there be a "better environment" (whatever that means), "improved food" (NCL is now changing the menus again??), "improved ships" (what does that mean?), etc.

But, the main issue I have is the lack of communication or communication way after implementation. Pick an issue: port time changes on many ships and many ports for no apparent reason, dropping months of cruises for ship redeployment while still taking reservations and deposits, and on and on. Come on NCL, you know where we are, you send us emails daily. Why do we have to find out all of our info from CC?? How about doing something that shows you respect your customers?

Edited by pizzalady1

Sending healing wishes to your grandson. Hope his recovery is smooth and uneventful:)

Someone on a recent page stated that NCL keeps charging and charging and never giving anything back in return (I believe they said "taking and taking......." Let's think about this for a minute. What company has increased costs and given back to their customers to make up for the increases? What comes to mind are the airlines. They charge for everything - food, drinks - sometimes even water (and on Ryan Air there is a charge to use the restroom). The more they charge, the less you get! The airlines are now very profitable - customers are basically unhappy (except for Southwest that actually gives customers birthday cards and drink tickets as a gift). Rather than giving an individual thank you to everyone, NCL is creating a better environment for their guests (improved food, ships, etc.)

It's funny how someone who has NEVER stepped foot on an NCL ship is telling everyone how they're creating a better environment for us. You've never experienced a cruise on ANY NCL ship EVER. Its like doing brain surgery because you've read up on it.

Ridiculous.