Things to do before late departure after cruise from Fort Lauderdale?

jennymaxgirl

We fly out from FLL at 6:30 pm the day we disembark from the ship.

We will have two kids, ages 5 & 8, with us and of course we will have luggage. What do people generally do for the day after getting of the ship?

Any idea what time disembarkation usually is ? We would love to just relax on the beach, but we would need hotel access for this to change, etc. Would we be left with reserving a room for a full night? Any other suggestions for easy things to do with the kids and luggage?

We will be traveling in November.

Thanks for much!

Jennifer

You might consider booking a Ft. Lauderdale tour for that day. We are going on the Oasis and have a late return flight and kids as well. The Ft. Lauderdale land and sea tour had good reviews and from what I've read here, booking it with the cruise line helps streamline your departure as well. They will also take us and our bags to the airport at the end of the tour.

• 1 month later...
You might consider booking a Ft. Lauderdale tour for that day. We are going on the Oasis and have a late return flight and kids as well. The Ft. Lauderdale land and sea tour had good reviews and from what I've read here, booking it with the cruise line helps streamline your departure as well. They will also take us and our bags to the airport at the end of the tour.

Check to find out what time you will be returned to the airport. Most tours will have you leave the ship early and then have you at the airport by 1:30.

Unless there are excursions now that start later and drop off later they really don't help a whole lot for later flights. :o

Does your cruise line have a luggage Valet Service.

If so they will check your bags in for you and then you can

Just take a small case for beachwear etc and check that in when you

Get to the airport, when are you travelling as you could probably

Rent an SUV for about $45,

I'm travelling from Orlando in February and the one way rental is $48

With Hertz, I'm using them as the have a drop off near Miami cruise port

I also have a 6:30 flight out of FLL. My plan is to take s cab to airport, store my luggage and take the Sun Trolley to Los Olas and enjoy for a few hours. The trolley also goes to the beach.

Airports do not store luggage. They also will only let you check in 4 hours prior to a flight.

Airports do not store luggage. They also will only let you check in 4 hours prior to a flight.

At Fort Lauderdale Airport there is a luggage storage service in every terminal; the only requirement is that you pick up your luggage before they close each evening. http://www.bagstogo.net

I think Pmorton3360's plan is a good one assuming that this is a Saturday or Sunday when the free Sun Trolley Airport Link runs to/from town. http://www.suntrolley.com

Edited by capriccio

I would suggest pricelining a cheap beach hotel for that night. While you probably will not be able to check in that morning, the hotel will at least store your luggage and let you use the facilities while you are on the beach.

Or spend the day at the pool.

I've been checking rental car rates for the day on 3/5 as we also have a late flight -- don't see anything less than $100 for companies I'd rent from! The store the luggage at the airport & take the Sun Trolley sounds like a great option for us to get to Las Olas Blvd for our crepes fix!

We booked a debarkation tour through the cruise line one time. It took us to the Everglades and we rode an airboat through and saw alligators! My whole family loved it and I highly recommend it. They took us in one of those large coach buses and everyone's luggage was stored underneath. They dropped us at the airport after the tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

We booked a debarkation tour through the cruise line one time. It took us to the Everglades and we rode an airboat through and saw alligators! My whole family loved it and I highly recommend it. They took us in one of those large coach buses and everyone's luggage was stored underneath. They dropped us at the airport after the tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

What time did the tour return you to the airport.

Would not want to arrive at12.30 for a 6.30 flight

• 3 weeks later...

I've done the tours and don't get to the airport much past 1:00.

I checked with Princess yesterday and they do have luggage easy check for SW . so now I leave the ship with no luggage. Can I walk to water taxi or need a cab? I don't mind paying but wonder if they will want to do such a short trip.

I've done the tours and don't get to the airport much past 1:00.

I checked with Princess yesterday and they do have luggage easy check for SW . so now I leave the ship with no luggage. Can I walk to water taxi or need a cab? I don't mind paying but wonder if they will want to do such a short trip.

If you are docked at terminal 2 (the main Princess dock; the Regal and Royal Princesses get priority among the Princess ships) or 4 (used occassionally) you can easily walk to the Hilton Marina and the water taxi. On the port map the water taxi stop is under the binoculars icon at the 17th Street bridge: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf. If you are docked at terminal 21 (used when the others are full) you'll need a cab. The port is not conducive to walking.

Will be on Regal. Saw the map but wasn't sure if I could get to the other side of water under the bridge.

You won't have a problem because the water taxi stop is on the Port Everglades/Hilton Marina side of the bridge! I estimate the walk at less than 10 minutes - some of which will be just waiting for the light to change so you can cross 17th Street.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...
FLL does have a luggage storage area. (downstairs by luggage claim) $7 per bag

http://www.baggagecheckin.com/baggage_storage.php

We used them and then went to the movies.

Did you go to the movies at Oakwood Plaza? If so, taxi or Sun Trolley?

Thanks!!

Edited by What'sUpCooley
clarify question