Bonaire or Curacao?

xplnusa

I'm planning a trip for my 12 year (at time of sailing) son, myself and his Uncle. Its a guys only trip.

I'm looking at two different 8 day itineraries? Both on the Sunshine, 3 ports (I love sea days).

The only difference is the Aruba, Grand Turk and then one of these two ports.

My son and I are foodies, we love swimming, shopping, historical stuff.

He has no interest in things like Zip Lines or anything thats really an adrenaline rush. I think he might do cave tubing, maybe...

Thanks for the help!

Edited by xplnusa

I would do Bonaire as it's not available as often as Curaçao. Bonaire is up and coming, lots of construction going on by the pier. Snorkeling is the best I have seen in Bonaire. If looking for beach and just swim then Curaçao. The beaches in Bonaire are very rocky and little sand. Shopping will be better in Curaçao. You will find good food in either port. You can't lose with either! Also if one is a night itinerary I would go with the one that has day itinerary.

I would do Bonaire as it's not available as often as Curaçao. Bonaire is up and coming, lots of construction going on by the pier. Snorkeling is the best I have seen in Bonaire. If looking for beach and just swim then Curaçao. The beaches in Bonaire are very rocky and little sand. Shopping will be better in Curaçao. You will find good food in either port. You can't lose with either! Also if one is a night itinerary I would go with the one that has day itinerary.

I agree with this. Loved them both, but Bonaire is less frequently a port. I would go there. But again, they both are great.

:o

We had such a wonderful time on Bonaire!! Took the water taxi over to Klein Bonaire.. The most amazing snorkeling we've done so far!!!

so you don't need to take a snorkeling tour in Bonaire? shore snorkeling is good from Klein Bonaire?? do tell pls. thank you.

We loved Bonaire. It is apparently a snorkeler's paradise, and we saw many paths down to the water to snorkeling spots on our tour of the island. We don't snorkel, but we found the natural life on the island fascinating, and the people very low-key and not aggressive or touristy. Depends what you're looking for, but it's at the top of my list of places I'd like to go again.

Of the two; BONAIRE!

(I'm a lady, btw)

Bonaire has incredible snorkeling. Take a water taxi to Klein Bonaire, walk to your left along the beach, get in where you see a break in the corral, and drift along with the current till you get near where the water taxi dropped you off. It's absolutely fantastic! Repeat as often as you want to. Walk farther along the beach for a longer drift. Go out a bit more to get to deeper stuff. It really is some of the best beach snorkeling I have ever done, and I need to get back there.

Don't knock the shopping, either. I found a gorgeous gold mandala pendant at a more than fair price in a shop in Kralendijk.

Curacao does have a fantastic aquarium. But off of Bonaire, you can float along and see the critters in that aquarium.

Bonaire is my favorite of the 3 ABC islands. I love that it's more primitive than the other 2, less crowded, and the snorkling/diving is some of the best in the Caribbean.

Klein Bonaire is really nice. It's a flat, uninhabited island just across the bay from the pier. And yes, the snorkling is great, right from the beach.

Bonaire for snorkelling - as you've doubtless gleaned from previous posts - best by taking the water-taxi from near the ship to No-Name Beach on Klein Bonaire.

But that's it.

Otherwise a pretty barren & boring island.

Curacao has way more to offer, both in town & around. Plenty of Dutch heritage, on Willemstad's riverfront you'd think you were in Amsterdam.

Virtually no shopping on Bonaire a few years back - it sounds like that's changed but it'll be end-to-end tourist shops.

Much more selection in Willemstad, but not the best prices.

So I wouldn't rate either for shopping.

Are Aruba & Grand Turk also split between your two options?

Aruba has excellent beaches just a short bus or taxi ride from the port, and shopping malls right by the port - though half the shops are for jewellery (tax advantage for Aruba??). The island itself is scrubby, with little of natural or cultural interest - like Bonaire but bigger.

Grand Turk is a compact area of pier, beach, shops & attractions all owned by the cruise line. Very much a beach day. There's little beyond that private area, though some have reported good snorkelling via a taxi ride.

Consider your interests (eg beach, snorkelling, history, shopping) and how much variety you want on your cruise.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Curacao is the port to go for history and the floating vegetable and fruit market the locals frequent. The vendors come over from Venezuela on their boats. You can easily walk from the pier to downtown. We took the small 'train' ride whose guide gave us an interesting insight into the history, the present state, the building challenges and the floating market set-up.

Aruba is a good place for swimming. We took the public bus to the beaches.

Thanks for all of the info everyone...

Sounds like for him Curacao would probably be the best for the cultural experience.

HOWEVER...

I need to book a cruise with Bonaire for my wife and I, we LOVE snorkeling. :D

I'm planning a trip for my 12 year (at time of sailing) son, myself and his Uncle. Its a guys only trip.

I'm looking at two different 8 day itineraries? Both on the Sunshine, 3 ports (I love sea days).

The only difference is the Aruba, Grand Turk and then one of these two ports.

My son and I are foodies, we love swimming, shopping, historical stuff.

He has no interest in things like Zip Lines or anything thats really an adrenaline rush. I think he might do cave tubing, maybe...

Thanks for the help!

That's like asking which one of your children you like best!!!;):D

Bonaire and Curacao both are my favorite ports. Both have their charms. Bonaire is not offered on a lot of cruises. It is quite laid back and it is beautiful.

Curacao is equally beautiful, but more developed, with a lot of culture and history and more things to do.

So it depends on whether you want a laid back option or more active one.

Personally I have a VERY hard time deciding between the two! Love them both!

so you don't need to take a snorkeling tour in Bonaire? shore snorkeling is good from Klein Bonaire?? do tell pls. thank you.

Chiming in about snorkelling......

I saw more fish just sitting at a shore side restaurant than I have ever seen in the aquarium! It was a fantastic array of every kind and color....tons and tons of schools.

We did not take any snorkeling tour. DH did shore snorkelling and I saw the fish without getting wet!

I believe there is a water taxi that takes you Klien Bonaire if you don't want to go on an organized excursion.

The OP says "My son and I are foodies, we love swimming, shopping, historical stuff. He has no interest in things like Zip Lines or anything thats really an adrenaline rush".

IN that case, Curacao is the place to go. Bonaire, as you're read is pretty good for only snorkeling.

Snorkeling is nice, but it apparently is not one of the big interests they are looking for.....

the op says "my son and i are foodies, we love swimming, shopping, historical stuff. He has no interest in things like zip lines or anything thats really an adrenaline rush".

In that case, curacao is the place to go. Bonaire, as you're read is pretty good for only snorkeling.

Snorkeling is nice, but it apparently is not one of the big interests they are looking for.....

thank you!!!