Post-Cruise SF: any time for FW w/2:20pm SFO flight?

Flafun888

Our cruise returns to SF port on a Sat morning in mid-Oct (non-holiday weekend.) It will have to clear customs since Ensenada was last stop. Our SFO flight departs 2:20pm from International terminal.

Not counting customs problems or unusual delays, do you think the fact that it's Sat am will allow us some extra time to kill before we need to head to airport - maybe have the chance to walk around Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area after disembarking? If so, how much time would you allow if it were you?

Or should I play it safe and just shuttle it from ship to SFO and kill time at airport, vs staying in city to sightsee?

For an international flight, you will want to be at the terminal around noon. Allow 30 to 40 minutes or so from the FW area. The entire area can be very busy on weekends. What would you do with your luggage?

What weekend in October? If it is the second weekend, it is Fleetweek, which is crazy busy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

For an international flight, you will want to be at the terminal around noon. Allow 30 to 40 minutes or so from the FW area. The entire area can be very busy on weekends. What would you do with your luggage? What weekend in October? If it is the second weekend, it is Fleetweek, which is crazy busy.

• Thanks for your fast response: I should have clarified - the flight is not international - it's to FLA. The ticket says "International terminal".

• I read somewhere on CC that there's a place in FW that checks luggage for a fee - (saved the thread...can't remember it offhand.) They're not guaranteed to have space, but a possibility.

• The date is Oct 24th - two weeks after Fleet Week. (Shouldn't have said mid-Oct and can't edit post...my brain is scrambled with all the planning the first few days of the trip which IS mid-Oct.)

Edited by Flafun888

if you want to haul luggage around, you could...you might be better off hiring a taxi and doing a quick tour around town..you could have luggage with you. like twin peaks, if not foggy, run out to the bridge and crissy field..out to lands end and stop at visit center there...

or get a hire car to do this. then they could take you right to airport by 12:30.

I don't think there is anything at pier 39 worth the effort to see in an hour or two.

there is decent food in the food court at the international terminal outside security..like good sushi.

• Thanks for your fast response: I should have clarified - the flight is not international - it's to FLA. The ticket says "International terminal".

• I read somewhere on CC that there's a place in FW that checks luggage for a fee - (saved the thread...can't remember it offhand.) They're not guaranteed to have space, but a possibility.

• The date is Oct 24th - two weeks after Fleet Week. (Shouldn't have said mid-Oct and can't edit post...my brain is scrambled with all the planning the first few days of the trip which IS mid-Oct.)

The California Welcome Center at Pier 39 will store your luggage for a fee. Don't recall what the fee is though.

Thanks for everyone's responses:

The California Welcome Center at Pier 39 will store your luggage for a fee. Don't recall what the fee is though.

Big thanks Jojiboy: just saved me searching through threads! Will try calling them to check on cost in advance and ask if they often run out of space.

I don't think there is anything at pier 39 worth the effort to see in an hour or two. nna: was just thinking sea lions: we're big animal enthusiasts. (Or are they at FW?) Really, just browsing, sitting or people watching is fine. I'd rather be anywhere than inside an airport for several hours (if I safely can.)

So do you guys think 1pm SFO arrival is safe for 2:20pm FLA flight? With about 45 min estimated to get from FW to SFO on a Sat morning w/no holiday or huge FW event that I know of? (Maybe we'll also Uber it to avoid group shuttle delays.)

oct is still tourist season.. I would leave at least an hour to get from Fisherman's wharf to airport. there are few alternatives.and I would get there no later than 12:45...could be a tight

be sure you check the web before you go to see sea lions. they have been known to disappear and then come back. I find them very stinky..but you do see them up close.

If it was me I would head to the airport.

The lines at the airport can be very long.

I would not try to kill time.

The airport has great restaurants so you can have lunch there.

Don't underestimate the possible long lines at SFO Airport.

Keith