Be honest.... how much weight have you put on at sea?

Jenniell

It's weird but I lost weight on my cruise. It seems like I was much more busy on the boat, walking and doing things. At home it's just easier to be a couch potato. I did eat whatever I wanted on the cruise also. Guess I didn't realize what a piggy snacker I am at home.

Have never gained weight on a cruise. Actually lost 7 lbs once on an 11 day cruise thanks to the jerks that I shared the seat row with on the plane pre-cruise. Got some sort of ghastly respiratory infection from them and by day 3 of the cruise, I was done in -- down for the count. Actually thought about flying home. Decided I was too sick to fly.

Back when I was younger and stupid, I ate as much as I wanted. Gained 15 pounds in a week. Now, I'm a bit smarter and pretty much break even.

On Disney, I did my walking and swimming every day. Then I hit the buffet and found these incredible donuts. Had about 4 every morning. Didn't know what they were, but found out later they were Crispy Cremes!!! Calorie Bomb!!

~ 3% of our weight for the DW and I. Of course we had 3 sit down meals plus tea. We balanced with the gym sometimes twice a day for me. Even with that intake exceeded outake, but it is vacation :D

So far I've managed to lose between 3-5kg (I think that's a bit less than 10pounds?) every cruise. I think it's because I have a fairly sedentary life at home and am overweight anyway, so on a cruise I'm exercising a lot more with all the walking, and I'm too busy to boredom eat. I put it back on when I get back home though :p

In recent years, I don't gain any weight and my cruises are usually 14 days+. I learned to NOT eat a farmer's breakfast and I eat a reasonable lunch and dinner. We try to eat at the MDR rather than the buffet and I ALWAYS have my two good desserts a day. I walk a lot and use the fitness centers, stairs when I can, etc. My best fitbit day was 23,000 steps and 41 FLIGHTS of stairs. I drink maybe the equiv of one drink a week. I think the sugary drinks would be a killer to efforts to control weight. And, I am a "senior".

Edited by Markanddonna

We got back on Saturday and I was up 9 lbs. Thankfully all but 3 are already gone but I can't be the only one who over indulged and the scale got mad at them.

Average -2. Last cruise -5. I always lose weight on a cruise. I don't over eat and I do more walking and stairs than I normally do. This last cruise I had just started on a new medicine for my diabetes that has made me almost completely lose my appetite. I go in hungry. Eat a couple bites and then I'm done. Almost 40 pounds down in the past year.

I do not gain weight on cruises. We eat pretty healthfully at home but do indulge quite a bit while on a ship. Love specialty dining and eating the local cuisine of the places we visit. But we are also very active. No laying in the sun for us. We are constantly on the move. Also, drink almost no alcohol which is a lot of empty calories, particularly beer and drinks with a lot of added sugar.

Ten weeks of travel that included a 14 day cruise and a 17 day cruise. Twenty pounds. Attributable to good Australian wine/ beer and exceptional cruise fare on a Princess ship.

We never use the elevators and we do a lot of walking on shore.

All gone now, plus another 10. Five more to go before we leave in late August for Greece....hopefully healthy eating.

Edited by iancal

I was on a 94 day World Voyage and gained zero weight. I never used the elavaters and usually skipped dessert. It was fun trying to weigh yourself while at sea. You can fluctuate 10 - 15 lbs with the ship's motion.

You can still enjoy the food and keep your weight down.

Don.

I lose weight - both on holiday in general and on cruises.

I walk heaps and always take the stairs but I think the biggest thing is that I have a small stomach and can't eat much in one sitting. At home where I do all the cooking and meal preparation for my husband and six boys I tend to pick a little bit here and taste a little bit there - one for the pan and one for me...! Then once everything is cooked I sit down and have dinner!

When away I don't do any meal prep or cooking so I can't graze and am limited to what I can physically eat at dinner.

I gained 3 lbs on a ten day cruise, walked, no elevator and by the end of the cruise I learned to order a light dinner. Very nervous every about an upcoming, 23 day cruise, I do not want to be uncomfortable in my clothes. That to me is the worse, I love desert, I can order and take 2 small bites and push it away, no fun but at least I can taste.

Until our last cruise, I have never checked. We took a cruise DURING our dieting process. One lunch we passed on dessert and the head waiter came over to see what was wrong. He was really concerned. We had to explain that we were dieting (I am diabetic and need to drop some pounds).