Sushi on Regal

Jimmy Geegitz

I haven't been on the Regal, but have seen "sushi" at Vines, Elite Lounge, and in other buffets. If you are truly looking for "real" sushi (rice not Sashimi/raw fish), I would not classify Princess' sushi as Japanese sushi.

This thread has photos & the menu for Ocean Terrace Seafood bar:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995406

Thank you for sharing the link to the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar. The menu does say Sushi and Sashimi. I did not see any photos of the sushi. Does any one know if it is made using sushi rice and is hand rolled? I know the "sushi" served in the Elite Lounge uses locks and not sashimi grade fresh salmon.

I am not an expert on what is served on the Royal or Regal but do know my sushi. If it is the same quality as in Vines, then it isn't sushi.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Sushi on the Regal was one of the very few disappointments for me. A REAL sushi bar would be very welcome.

I wonder if the Kai Sushi a la carte restaurant added to the Diamond (in previous internet cafe location) before deploying to Asia is any better.

I wonder if the Kai Sushi a la carte restaurant added to the Diamond (in previous internet cafe location) before deploying to Asia is any better.

I would expect this restaurant to be pretty authentic considering the passengers on board. I understand (haven't done this cruise) that even the bathrooms have been remodeled to accommodate the Asian market.

I was actually a big fan when they first added sushi and tapas to the Vines wine bars on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby, and even when they first expanded to the Caribbean Princess and other ships. They did use sashimi grade tuna and salmon, and made it to order in front of you: 4 items on these beautiful glass plates. There was always one sashimi (just raw fish, no rice), one nigiri (raw fish over small rice roll), one maki roll (California roll, so not "real sushi", but was fine), and they finished the plate with a wonderful seafood ceviche, and a green and a red seaweed salad. For the first few years after their introduction we enjoyed these offerings ... frequently, and would sometimes make this a nice light evening meal.

Unfortunately, over the past few years, the offerings and quality of the sushi has declined dramatically. All seems to be made ahead now, so that when you order the server merely reaches into a refrigerator and takes plastic wrap off the top.

With the introduction of the dedicated Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar on the Royal and Regal, I was hoping for a revival of the fresh preparations and quality we had enjoyed early on at Vines. And, while I do feel the quality of the food at the Ocean Terrace is a bit better than at Vines on the other ships (at least of late), it is not stellar by any means. On the up-side, the Ocean Terrace offers oysters and caviar ..., although the oysters can be hit and miss. Sometimes I've had very good, fresh, chilled oysters there, but at other times they seemed less than fresh and not chilled to my liking.

I really wish they would focus more attention on this feature. It could be a wonderful addition to our cruising experience.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere