Whittier Departure

Hubbard Glacier 3-8pm

Glacier Bay 9:15-7:30pm

Skagway 7-8:30pm

Juneau 6:30-4:30pm

Ketchikan 10-6pm

Sea Day

Vancouver

Which itinerary would you choose and why? We like the idea of visiting Glacier Bay but are looking at the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway and the Extended Glacier Trek with Helicoper in Juneau so I don't know how much we are giving up by not going to Glacier Bay. This would be our first trip to Alaska and we've been all over the board looking at options that meet our wishes. My husband really wants to do Hubbard since it looks so much larger than any in Glacier Bay. I am on the fence on this but trying to compromise :)

Option 1 via Celebrity Millennium

Seward Departure

Hubbard Glacier 2-6pm

Juneau 9-9pm

Icy Straight 7-4pm

Ketchikan 9-6pm

Sea Day

Vancouver

Option 2 via Coral Princess

Whittier Departure

Hubbard Glacier 3-8pm

Ketchikan 10-6pm

Sea Day

Vancouver

Which itinerary would you choose and why? We like the idea of visiting Glacier Bay but are looking at the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway and the Extended Glacier Trek with Helicoper in Juneau so I don't know how much we are giving up by not going to Glacier Bay. This would be our first trip to Alaska and we've been all over the board looking at options that meet our wishes. My husband really wants to do Hubbard since it looks so much larger than any in Glacier Bay. I am on the fence on this but trying to compromise :)

Your tours can be done with Either itinerary. If you are comparing either of those glacier experiences, they are of no comparison to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

Do you have your homework done about Whittier and Seward? I would strongly suggest you add time for mainland Alaska. What about Hoonah? In my opinion, you could have more choices than just Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Do you have a glacier priority? Interest? What else are you doing? Mainland touring? Including a Prince William Sound boat tour? Kenai Fjords boat tour? Matansuka glacier trekking? (longer than Northstar with option for climbing, way less restrictive with time, ability for private guides), also Harding Glacier trekking out of Seward. Both walk ups.

Your tours can be done with Either itinerary. If you are comparing either of those glacier experiences, they are of no comparison to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

Do you have your homework done about Whittier and Seward? I would strongly suggest you add time for mainland Alaska. What about Hoonah? In my opinion, you could have more choices than just Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Do you have a glacier priority? Interest? What else are you doing? Mainland touring? Including a Prince William Sound boat tour? Kenai Fjords boat tour? Matansuka glacier trekking? (longer than Northstar with option for climbing, way less restrictive with time, ability for private guides), also Harding Glacier trekking out of Seward. Both walk ups.

I would love to add time on the mainland prior to our cruise but my work schedule will not allow that much time off. We both want to see glaciers but it is not our priority. Getting out and experiencing Alaska is our priority. That would most likely be done with the excursions we decide upon. We are also considering just a plain land tour instead of a cruise but not sure if we would miss out not seeing the tidewater glaciers. Again, being our first time it's hard to determine what the priorities should be. I would love to hear some of your suggestions as it seems you are well traveled in Alaska. If we stuck to a land tour we would probably do all the options you mentioned above and a couple days in Denali.

Did you consider a Roundtrip from Vancouver? That's our favorite

Yes, we looked at a Celebrity option that includes Hubbard Glacier not but Glacier Bay. That is really ideal as we have no time for a land portion and it's much easier for us to travel to Vancouver. Not sure if we would regret not going to Glacier Bay however.

Yes, we looked at a Celebrity option that includes Hubbard Glacier not but Glacier Bay. That is really ideal as we have no time for a land portion and it's much easier for us to travel to Vancouver. Not sure if we would regret not going to Glacier Bay however.

We are doing glacier bay but on Holland America RT VanCouver. We have been to Hubbard, loved it, lots of calving!! Glacier bay was good too but I think Hubbard is impressive, and we spent more time at the one big glacier vs. Sailing through smaller ones. Hopefully others can chime in.

Edited by 232271

We are doing glacier bay but on Holland America RT VanCouver. We have been to Hubbard, loved it, lots of calving!! Glacier bay was good too but I think Hubbard is impressive, and we spent more time at the one big glacier vs. Sailing through smaller ones. Hopefully others can chime in.

Thank you! That is exactly the type of info I am hoping to hear. I know we can't see everything in one trip but want to make it the best we can!

We are taking our first Alaska cruise next May on Celebrity Millennium, although I have land traveled Alaska once before. We are going from Vancouver to Seward and a post cruise tour that ends 6 nights later in Fairbanks.

I believe that an Alaskan cruise is less about the ship and more about Alaska BUT you should consider cruise lines in your choice as they can vary greatly in clientele, ambiance, service, extras and such. I've no experience but have often heard that Princess is the Alaskan leader - what I do know is that we chose to sail on Celebrity because we like the upscale ambiance (yes there will be 2 formal nights), great service and food that is consistently very good. When you book now on Celebrity you will be under their new pricing so any cabin class starting with a balcony (insides are excluded - not sure about ocean view) will include a choice of one between paid grats, OBC or free beverage package.

I would love to add time on the mainland prior to our cruise but my work schedule will not allow that much time off. We both want to see glaciers but it is not our priority. Getting out and experiencing Alaska is our priority. That would most likely be done with the excursions we decide upon. We are also considering just a plain land tour instead of a cruise but not sure if we would miss out not seeing the tidewater glaciers. Again, being our first time it's hard to determine what the priorities should be. I would love to hear some of your suggestions as it seems you are well traveled in Alaska. If we stuck to a land tour we would probably do all the options you mentioned above and a couple days in Denali.

This certainly is a tough choice isn't it? :) Bottom line- people, simply enjoy ALL the cruises they take, rave reviews on every ship. :) There is no "perfect", "better" cruise ship in my opinion. I look at the ship, as meals, lodging and transportation only.

You would have an excellent opportunity for seeing tidewater glaciers with a mainland only trip- with a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier. I mentioned this also above. Superior, close up, viewing compared to a cruise ship. Also available out of Seward with a Kenai fjords boat tour. Mainland touring- has a lot going for it with Alaska touring. Especially if you are interested in wildlife, the bargain of Alaska- Denali Park is scenery, first, and wildlife thrown in. :) Kenai Fjords is varied wildlife. (I go out on multiple trips every time I am there). If you haven't - head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, those books- Alaska Ports of Call, Anne Vipond's Port's of Call book, plus any others. Get familiar- with what each area is known for and what activities/tours are available.

There is no bad trip to Alaska, and you will have a wonderful time no matter which one you choose. Having said that, we have done both of the itineraries and I would do Southbound on Millennium. One reason is that there is so much to do in Seward if you can come in even one day before your cruise. Two days would be better. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful, and the Kenai tour out of Seward is fantastic! We would have turned around and gone again right away if we could have. Also we enjoyed the Sealife Center and Exit Glacier.

As for itinerary, we liked the majesty of Hubbard Glacier better than being surrounded by glaciers for hours. But that's just us. Not that the Glacier Bay isn't great, just not as much to our liking. The port times are longer on Millennium's itinerary, and every minute in an Alaska port counts! Also, she stops in ISP, which is a charming little town to walk around. We're booked for a whale-watching excursion there in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

Good luck on your decision, and have fun!

I have done Alaska twice on Princess. Glacier bay both times - actually four times, as both cruises were B2B. So I have also been to Hubbard Glacier twice...Sort of. the second time, it was so foggy we had to turn back. I think we were almost there, but you could barely see the land on either side, too many growlers and bergy bits to continue. EM

You have 2 very good choices and I think either one is very enjoyable. Based upon your husband's desire for Hubbard and the tours you want to do as well as you being on the fence about glacier bay, it seems like the Coral Princess itinerary would allow you to do both glacier bay and hubbard as well as the tours you want in Skagway and Juneau.

I know that you are unable to add more time to your trip, but I hope you are planning to fly into Anchorage at least the day before you board the cruise ship. Due to travel times I would not recommend flying in the same day that your cruise departs. You can either rent a car (Avis for Whittier or Hertz for Seward) or take the train or a bus tour to get from Anchorage to Whittier or Seward.

The distance from Anc to Whittier is less and to get to Whittier you go through an unusual tunnel (which you need to time carefully if you decide to drive. There is a small boat glacier tour in Whittier that is really nice.

However Seward is a little larger than Whittier with an option for a small boat wildlife tour or an aquarium or hiking at Exit glacier or a tour of a sled dog operation.

Going to either place if you drive or take a bus tour there is an option for a tour of the wildlife center. If you choose to drive there are more places you can stop and see as you drive down the very scenic highway. On the bus you will see the same scenery and much of the time the train parallels the highway although the train does vear off at some point after Cook inlet.

With regard to just doing the land portion instead of the cruise it really depends on what you want to see the most and how much time you have. Distances are deceiving and if you for example have 1 week off. It would take you ar least 1 full day to drive from Anc to Denali, then at least 2 full days in Denali and 1 day to drive back to Anc which would leave you only 2 days to drive down to see a few things in the Kenai and then drive back to Anc for your flight home. So unless you really want to see Denali you might do well to focus your 1 week on Either Seward or Whittier and southeast Alaska on the cruise ship.

One last option would be to fly into Anc and spend your week exploring the Kenai and the Anchorage area but not Denali.

Option 1 via Celebrity Millennium

Seward Departure

Hubbard Glacier 2-6pm

Juneau 9-9pm

Icy Straight 7-4pm

Ketchikan 9-6pm

Sea Day

Vancouver

Option 2 via Coral Princess

Whittier Departure

Hubbard Glacier 3-8pm

Ketchikan 10-6pm

Sea Day

Vancouver

There are a lot of posts here comparing Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, but from the itineraries you posted, your decision really seems to be between Glacier Bay and Icy Straight Point. Hubbard is included on both. The only other differences between the itineraries are having an hour more in Ketchikan, a different arrival time in Juneau, and departing from Seward vs Whitter-- though if you can't arrive early then the departure port doesn't make much of a difference.

If I were you, I'd look at the excursions for Icy Straight Point and see if any are must-dos for you. I believe it's a cruiseline-manufactured port, not a real town, so take that into consideration. Also look at the Ketchikan/Juneau excursions and see if the ones you want to do fit within your time in those ports. If, after that, you still can't decide, then I'd err on the side of Glacier Bay and do the Princess itinerary, since most people rave about Glacier Bay. (I'll be there myself in a few weeks).