We liked HA, but need to choose a different line.

Elise17

Many people like Princess, but I'm not one of them. I just don't get it?:rolleyes: The food is basic, areas of the ships are very crowded and the over-all decor is bland. I will give them another try in a couple of years.:)

I like Princess, though I don't discount your opinion. I regard Princess a conservative option--as in they are not "too" anything. I have not experienced the too-crowded as you have. Windstar can be too pricey, Disney can be too kiddie, Carnival can be too party, RCI can be too amusement parkey, Norwegian is too freestyle, etc. etc. etc... To quote famed ancient Chinese philosopher, Mae West: "Too much of a good thing is wonderful.". So if that is your thing, okay. I just have multiple people in my party, and in an attempt to play it safe, I go what I see as middle-of-the-road, and go Princess. My brand loyalty is not unbreakable, though.

Many people like Princess, but I'm not one of them. I just don't get it?:rolleyes: The food is basic, areas of the ships are very crowded and the over-all decor is bland. I will give them another try in a couple of years.

By no means do I dislike Princess...since early last year, I've cruised with them 3 times. However, I also found the Ruby and Caribbean to be crowded ships and there were design aspects of Regal that just had me scratching my head. For now, I think Princess is OK, but they certainly aren't the first line I look to when planning.

I would. With Oceania so expensive, it had better be good. And with just one person saying it is not even better at all, that weighs a lot.

Yes Mary Ellen had a bad cruise on Oceania

I have had a not so good cruise on Princess & a horrible cruise on NCL

So I see your point

will you stop cruising Princess now that I have posted my not so good cruise on Princess ? :D

When you take into account the things included in the price for Oceania it does come out close to mainstream lines but you cannot put a price on some other things ;)

People should choose what make them happy

I would. With Oceania so expensive, it had better be good. And with just one person saying it is not even better at all, that weighs a lot.

Count me as another Oceania fan. It is more expensive, but just more refined in most respects to mass markets. The buffet doesn't feel like a bun-fight. Waiters serve all the beverages. Someone will always offer to take your plate to the table if you desire.

On the MM's the tables for two can be quite close together in the dining rooms. On O the tables for two come with space and frequently a twosome is seated at a 4 top table.

Food is generally better (IMHO) with more high end ingredients used. Lobster is available at the pool grill (lunch) and in the buffet (dinner). Lamb chops also at the buffet grill and in the main dining room for breakfast. Fresh berries in the buffet at breakfast. Everything is just a notch up.

Pool area is also more refined. Never have gone to a show on Oceania, so I couldn't comment, but generally entertainment isn't regarded as one of it's strengths. We do enjoy the classical performances in the lounges - the string quartets have all but disappeared from most of the mass markets.

Yes Mary Ellen had a bad cruise on Oceania

I would say food was pretty darn bad and service was HORRIBLE on our cruise. ;) I'm glad others enjoy Oceania. We boarded fully expecting Oceania to become our cruise line of choice. They failed - miserably. :eek:

and Oceania

You are listing lines with a huge difference in price and luxury level. Princess probably offers the most reasonably priced cruise of those lines. Celebrity is a step up, Oceania one more step up. The others are luxury lines, some very formal, most if not all include alcohol which makes them automatically more expensive.

Depending upon what category cabin you book on less deluxe cruise lines, the cost may not be all that different to sail the luxury lines. We always book a Suite on HAL and the prices are commensurate if I were to book down one category. I'd pay close to the same amount of money.

If one books a very low category as a rule, then yes..... I agree there is a big difference in price.

I just didn't think it anywhere near accurate to leave the impression in place as pertains to all cabins/all cruisers.

Edited by sail7seas

I would say food was pretty darn bad and service was HORRIBLE on our cruise. ;) I'm glad others enjoy Oceania. We boarded fully expecting Oceania to become our cruise line of choice. They failed - miserably. :eek:

Yes I remember your post & it is not the norm for Oceania

but if I had a really bad cruise I would not return either

We haven't returned to Princess and not to HAL, our last cruises were so s o. The last Princess ship should have been in dry dock way before the planks came up on the promenade deck. That doesn't mean that the op wouldn't have a great time on a Princess ship in good shape.

I always compare prices for the same cabin category. My lack of alcohol consumption plays into this. It's important to know what I pay per day + excursions.

Oceania is a wonderful line with the best food I've experienced in 57 cruises! Too bad it's out of my price range. Cunard is great as well and is more affordable; the MDR is excellent, however their Lido buffet is one of the worst.

A year ago I would have ruled out NCL, however, my wife and I did the Jewel last spring using the UDP (Ultimate Dining Package) and ate every meal in one of their many alternative restaurants. Couple this with eating lunch in the MDR and it was an excellent experience. Entertainment is top notch. The cabins are a bit smaller, but well designed. Prices are low, which makes the UDP affordable ($119 per person per week). Just avoid the buffet.

I would rate the food (done this way) on NCL better than Princess, Royal Caribbean, and even HAL. Cunard, Celebrity, Oceania and Azamara are still tops with us.

Enjoy!

Kel:D