Kids' clubs for kids on the cusp of the age range?

MrsT3030

We are sailing on the Norwegian Escape in Jan 2016. My daughter will be a month away from her 3rd birthday. The Escape will be the first Norwegian ship with a nursery for the under 3s.

I am a bit concerned about this as I can't imagine my DD being occupied and stimulated in a nursery for kids from 6 months old. She is potty trained, speaks as well as a 4 year old and is really not a 'baby'.

How do cruise lines tend to deal with kids at the upper range of the kids club age group? How do they ensure they are catered for in terms of entertainment etc?

My assumption is that no concessions will be made to allow her into the 3+ group, although I will be contacting them to find out.

Edited by MrsT3030

You might ask this on the board here for NCL, under Cruise Lines A-O. You also might ask this on the Family Cruising board here, under Special Interest Cruising. My understanding is that they do not make exceptions for reasons of liability insurance. EM

It's possible they will allow her to "move up"...you'll have to wait until you're onboard and until they meet your daughter!

Generally, the age you are when you board, it the age they consider you to be for the entire cruise. They can make exceptions...but it's up to them!

They will NOT be putting your almost 3 year old in a crib and rocking her....I guarantee that!!!!

We are sailing on the Norwegian Escape in Jan 2016. My daughter will be a month away from her 3rd birthday. The Escape will be the first Norwegian ship with a nursery for the under 3s.

I am a bit concerned about this as I can't imagine my DD being occupied and stimulated in a nursery for kids from 6 months old. She is potty trained, speaks as well as a 4 year old and is really not a 'baby'.

How do cruise lines tend to deal with kids at the upper range of the kids club age group? How do they ensure they are catered for in terms of entertainment etc?

My assumption is that no concessions will be made to allow her into the 3+ group, although I will be contacting them to find out.

NCL = no exceptions to age range category.

The rule on board all cruise ships is that you're the age you are on the first day of the cruise, for the entire cruise. It doesn't matter if your child is one week or one month away from her third birthday, she will be two years old for your cruise. Sorry, but cruise lines found they have to keep to their rules and not stretch them for anyone, because if that were the case, why have the rule?

They will have more than enough age appropriate activities on the ship for your under three child. They will not expect her to play with the infants.

Thank you for all the answers. Makes total sense to me that they wouldn't (and shouldn't!) make concessions on the age range. Tooooo many liability issues! That said, reassuring to know she'll be catered for and not bored.

Then again - NCL have told me 3 times today that (despite what their website says!) there is no kids club for under 3s on the Escape. That a whole 'nuther issue though...

Thank you for all the answers. Makes total sense to me that they wouldn't (and shouldn't!) make concessions on the age range. Tooooo many liability issues! That said, reassuring to know she'll be catered for and not bored.

Then again - NCL have told me 3 times today that (despite what their website says!) there is no kids club for under 3s on the Escape. That a whole 'nuther issue though...

You might want to ask on the NCL board or the family cruising one -- maybe what you're thinking of is a nursery for under 3s and not a true kids' program.

My daughter was 23 months of age on her first cruise (on Carnival), a month too young for Camp Carnival. We didn't even bother to ask if they'll put her in as I respect the age groupings (which I'm guessing are for liability reasons).

And just think, there's probably many times that a parent will claim their kid is "mature for" his or her age. And anyone who's worked with children will know that many are delusional about this (I certainly wouldn't say this for my girl) or any other trait. Plus, if the age grouping is, say, 8 to 12, and there's a few 7-year-olds in that room, you think the 12-year-olds would be too happy about that?