Must haves for long cruises.

Duffysmom

LOL, you know they have pills for the women now too.;)

That's the one thing I noticed Mexico does not sell for cheaper. You can go to the Mexican farmacias, and everything is for sale for cheap, no prescription required--except the little Love Boat helpers. Those are expensive. Not sure if any of them offer the women ones yet.

Yup, and I've been known to recement a crown for DH.

I received the "rescue pack" when I had a temporary crown a year ago, and never needed it at the time but I have a feeling it could come in very handy on a ship and so take it on cruises. I suspect the Medical Center on board has that two-part cement, too.

There is a bathmat in your cabin, so you do not have to ask for one.

If you need two at the same time to cover more floor area, then you need to ask for the second one.

After walking on my cold floors this morning I had to wonder about this.... are the bathmats in the cabin you are referring to the plastic ones or are they made of material?

That's the one thing I noticed Mexico does not sell for cheaper. You can go to the Mexican farmacias, and everything is for sale for cheap, no prescription required--except the little Love Boat helpers. Those are expensive. Not sure if any of them offer the women ones yet.

I suppose it is still quite new, In my experience Champagne works best.;)

After walking on my cold floors this morning I had to wonder about this.... are the bathmats in the cabin you are referring to the plastic ones or are they made of material?

They are the cloth ones that are just like a hand towel only thicker.:D

Yea! For some reason I just can't remember them. We are taking a 4 dayer in November so that really helps me.

We usually find it folded up on the step into the shower, part in the shower and part outside of the shower.

We usually find it folded up on the step into the shower, part in the shower and part outside of the shower.

Yes, and I hate when they do that!! If the shower curtain is still wet, the bath mat gets damp where the shower curtain is touching it. We always lay the bath mat out as soon as we enter the bathroom and use it as a rug to keep our bare feet warm and clean. We sometimes have to ask the room steward not to place the bath mat over the shower floor "lip" for us and they will accommodate that request.

Just updated my Sprint phone to the international roaming plan. It's free and texts and 2G data speed are included free and voice calls are 20 cents per minute. You can pay extra for 3G data if you want to. We used to use the Tmobile Simple Choice plan when traveling internationally, but since Sprint added the international feature we just use Sprint. Tmobile doesn't work in my home but Sprint does.

We found this very helpful on our last long cruise. Not all countries participate because they use different platforms. But when they do it is nice to call home.

A warm jogging suit with hoodie for seadays

A sweater for evenings some ships really crank up the AC

Laundry soap and little laundry bag

Deodorising spray for cabin

I always bring a clothesline i hang on my balcony ....very convenient

All kids of otc meds ,bandaids etc

Pocketbooks ,slippers ,thin bathrobe or lounge robe .hat,small beach bag

A card holder for seacard with lanyard

A warm jogging suit with hoodie for seadays

A sweater for evenings some ships really crank up the AC

Laundry soap and little laundry bag

Deodorising spray for cabin

I always bring a clothesline i hang on my balcony ....very convenient

All kids of otc meds ,bandaids etc

Pocketbooks ,slippers ,thin bathrobe or lounge robe .hat,small beach bag

A card holder for seacard with lanyard

THANK YOU! I'd already been advised by a friend to bring a long sleaved sweater or jacket with me for the evening.

Designated bag for laundry-good idea, I hadn't thought of that one, and it's now on my list!

Deodorising spray-got already, will use my Body Spray.

Clothesline is organised.

Summer hat and warm beanie-now on list.

Meds-organised.

Lanyard-already have one but will buy if I can for souvenirs.

I've cross posted this on our Oct 2015 cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti. I believe it's important information since the mosquito borne illness

Chikungunya is becoming quite a problem in the tropics including the Caribbean.

(Sorry for the spacing of the paragraphs below, having trouble with computer)

I had a great deal of fun reading Pescado Amarillo's blog regarding her extensive cruising on Princess ships and was struck by a couple of paragraphs on her visit last December to Tahiti and the seriousness of Chikungunya a mosquito born illness. I've copied the following paragraphs where she encourages the use of repellent containing DEET. Her comments are in bold lettering below. It's DEET's on the top of my list of things to bring on the cruise.

"I keep meaning to mention, but haven't given it its due, especially based on the apparent seriousness of it, but Chikungunya is becoming quite a significant issue in French Polynesia (and many other tropical parts of the world). G was covered with mosquitos on the ATV tour when we were in the fields surrounding the Moorea agricultural school. Luckily, he does not appear to have any bites. We met a passenger in the Pacific Princess (a blog reader) who contracted Chikungunya part way through her cruise, possibly due to the large mosquito population at the Le Meridian Tahiti. Symptoms include joint pain and stiffness, muscle pain and fatigue (all of which cause us to wonder just how we would know, since those are daily things by this point in our winter), headache and fever. Death, though rare, does occur, and this Tahiti newspaper headline about nine deaths in the past ten weeks greeted us yesterday:"

(There was a newspaper picture here with the caption in French regarding mortalities. it didn't

show up on my cut and paste hatchet job, and I can't read french, sorry.)

"I report this here not to cause undue alarm but to offer the reality of the seriousness of the situation. I have always been attractive to mosquitos (stinging insects...spiders) and don't leave the ship without DEET on, using so much that I've developed a rash from that. Still, a rash is preferable to Chikungunya. Since we also will be traveling in the Caribbean in February, it is simply a fact of life for me for the foreseeable future. "

Thank you Pescado Amarillo for sharing your travels with us, I devoured every word.

Edited by DUFFYSMOM

We were on a 49 day cruise around Cape Horn, and we did well, but I did have to shop for a few things,,

Stockings, extra ones, as the ship runs out after the first formal night! Never found any, and no one in my group had any.

Playing cards

Crazy glue

Scotch tape

Small stand for your smart phone, to use as a clock at night, and then if needed as a flash light.

I've cross posted this on our Oct 2015 cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti. I believe it's important information since the mosquito borne illness

Chikungunya is becoming quite a problem in the tropics including the Caribbean.

(Sorry for the spacing of the paragraphs below, having trouble with computer)

I had a great deal of fun reading Pescado Amarillo's blog regarding her extensive cruising on Princess ships and was struck by a couple of paragraphs on her visit last December to Tahiti and the seriousness of Chikungunya a mosquito born illness. I've copied the following paragraphs where she encourages the use of repellent containing DEET. Her comments are in bold lettering below. It's DEET's on the top of my list of things to bring on the cruise.

"I keep meaning to mention, but haven't given it its due, especially based on the apparent seriousness of it, but Chikungunya is becoming quite a significant issue in French Polynesia (and many other tropical parts of the world). G was covered with mosquitos on the ATV tour when we were in the fields surrounding the Moorea agricultural school. Luckily, he does not appear to have any bites. We met a passenger in the Pacific Princess (a blog reader) who contracted Chikungunya part way through her cruise, possibly due to the large mosquito population at the Le Meridian Tahiti. Symptoms include joint pain and stiffness, muscle pain and fatigue (all of which cause us to wonder just how we would know, since those are daily things by this point in our winter), headache and fever. Death, though rare, does occur, and this Tahiti newspaper headline about nine deaths in the past ten weeks greeted us yesterday:"

(There was a newspaper picture here with the caption in French regarding mortalities. it didn't

show up on my cut and paste hatchet job, and I can't read french, sorry.)

"I report this here not to cause undue alarm but to offer the reality of the seriousness of the situation. I have always been attractive to mosquitos (stinging insects...spiders) and don't leave the ship without DEET on, using so much that I've developed a rash from that. Still, a rash is preferable to Chikungunya. Since we also will be traveling in the Caribbean in February, it is simply a fact of life for me for the foreseeable future. "

Thank you Pescado Amarillo for sharing your travels with us, I devoured every word.

We visited a travel doctor prior to our South American trip last winter and she mentioned both malaria and chikungunya. While there is medication available to prevent malaria, nothing exists for chikungunya.

In addition to DEET she recommended treating our clothes with premethrin or buying bug repellent clothing. We invested in some from Exofficio and spraying some. I prefer the Exofficio bugs away clothing. They rinse out and dry fast, and no bugs.

Out longest cruise so far has been 51 days. We are doing the 2016 World cruise so we are already working on the necessary items. The first port is Honolulu, so we may hit Walmart there and stock up rather than flying with it all.

a big calendar, world map, to keep track of what day it is and where we are.

I am planning on journaling as I go, so the supplies I want to use for that, including a small blue tooth printer with supplies for it.

Have you thought of starting a blog? On blog spot you can type in your daily itinerary or whatever and upload photos and everyone you want to see it can.

It cuts down on the need for individual emails and letters.

If you take a mini laptop or tablet you can download photos which saves on the need for extra SD cards. You could also use this as a photo slideshow to cut the need for photos of grandchildren on the wall.

You can also use your laptop to see your calendar or itinerary although I do like a hard spy of these for quick access.

Everyone is different but some of these ideas might appeal to others.

Edited by paddingtonbear

Also make sure you check the storage in the cabin on the ship you are cruising on.

The Royal standard balcony cabins has huge hanging and shelving areas. Lots of drawers too. Multiple power outlets.

The royal has great shelves in the shower for toiletries and lots of space around the basin for toiletries and make up. Also a shelf below the basin/counter top.

Thank you Duffys Mom!! We have the DEET packed already for our upcoming cruises.

I second PaddingtonBear's suggestion of keeping a blog, first because I am selfish and want to have more travel blogs to read. :D But, I'll offer the mistake I made so that others might learn from it. The first year we cruised for several months, I sent emails to friends and family. They loved them. But, when I returned home, I had nothing to look back at but a Sent folder full of disjointed emails. Keeping a blog provides a wonderful memento, a shared diary of our experiences.

Also make sure you check the storage in the cabin on the ship you are cruising on.

The Royal standard balcony cabins has huge hanging and shelving areas. Lots of drawers too. Multiple power outlets.

The royal has great shelves in the shower for toiletries and lots of space around the basin for toiletries and make up. Also a shelf below the basin/counter top.

Not in all cabins. Only storage in my Royal shower was in that small space above the handles.

891229%20015%2012.29.14%20Royal%20Princess%20cabin%20L115%20DSC03808_zpstuchysvi.jpg

If you take a mini laptop or tablet you can download photos which saves on the need for extra SD cards.

Yes, xfer your pictures to a laptop or other capable device, but still bring those extra SD cards. The laptop is a backup, not a substitute.

Not in all cabins. Only storage in my Royal shower was in that small space above the handles.

Was your cabin on the Royal a standard balcony? That is what we had, as I said in my post.

I just assumed all similar categories of cabin would have the same facilities but I could be wrong.