Type of care and cost offered by the onboard Medical Center.

mozfoz

While the Medical Center on a ship is not a hospital, what type of issues are the Center capable of treating while at sea. Also, what are the experiences and associated cost you may have occurred with the medical care provided.

At the end of our TA on Epic in April Mr S experienced an exacerbation of his COPD. The medical center on Epic was impressive and the care was efficient and appropriate. I really liked the doc, and I am hard to impress in that regard. The cost was about $100 including a nebulizer treatment, and filled prescriptions for steroids and antibiotics. I thought that was very reasonable.

We were told that all across the Atlantic we were never very far from US Armed Forces ships that had state of the art hospitals on board. That was reassuring also.

While the Medical Center on a ship is not a hospital, what type of issues are the Center capable of treating while at sea. Also, what are the experiences and associated cost you may have occurred with the medical care provided.

We have visited the med center about 4 times, different ships lines: the facilities are not great but they do have x ray machines and a few other needed equiptment. The meds are limited. If I remember right, the cost is about $75 for an office call plus meds; maybe it was a little more. The last time I was there I had hurt my knee and there wasn't much they could do. When I returned home my insurance paid all but $15 of the bill. I was happy with the service, I didn't expect much more, but if there is a serious problem a person has to be air lifted off the plane or if docked, taken the nearest hospital. i have always found the doctors and nurses very kind and friendly except for the doctor on Princess. I don't think he cared for his job.

I think of it a bit like a small town urgent care.

X rays...yes

Medication for normal issues...yes

surgery...no

Stitches ...yes

I know they also have boots for hurt ankles or feet not sure about casting my guess is basic casting material.

We found the Dr. on Epic to be very nice and personable. Our daughter has very sensitive skin and in kids club they drew this beautiful seahorse that wrapped around her face. The black face paint gave her a chemical burn on her face. We had everything to treat her but her face looked like a red version of a mike Tyson tattoo. The staff kept trying to encourage us to see the ship Doctor but we didn't go so they must have called him to come see her.

He sat with us and spoke to us about her face when we explained that we know what was going on and our treatment plan for her and the Dh is also a Dr and if we see any sighs of infection we would be down immediately. I was impressed with his bedside manner.

My 3 year old fell and hit her head on the small palm tree slide on breakaway. She was unable to move all four extremities and lost consciousness. I'm an ER nurse and her dad an EMT. We were highly impressed with the care received onboard. The doctor was amazing, he is a family physician in Wisconsin when not on the cruise ships. Very family centered care, her dad and I with the doctor and a ships officer made the decision on if she was stable enough to remain onboard to port or if she would be evacuated by the coast guard. The doctor from the ship remained in contact the entire week we were in the hospital. They only had a portable x Ray capability and the decision was jointly made to keep her immobilized on the backboard and collar until a better quality imaging could be done. We learned at the hospital in cocoa beach she had a sub rural hematoma and were then transferred to a children's hospital in orlando. We never saw a bill from the cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot about hubby tripping over a lounge when we were on the Dawn. The medical center was absolutely unbelievably good with him. They actually had 2 doctors at the time. I am sure the thought of a law suit might have had something to do with how he was treated, but regardless he would not have gotten better care at our local hospital I don't think.

They have (or at least had) ear plugs, sea sickness pills and non asprin pills free at the front desk.

I have Seizures and travel alone. My seizures are not epileptic and I am fine once they pass. IF I have a seizure is public areas, a 911 call goes out against my will. Once I was asked to go to the medical center to be checked out. Shortly after arriving, I was able to talk and the Dr. Checked me out and gave me a clean bill of health. I did not get a bill either, because he ASKED me to go to medical center and I did not want to. The Staff was very nice :)

I was on the Carnival Legend- there were 2 MD's on board. This involved a respiratory failure, that resulted in venting. One MD was certain, it was related to a MI, which I disputed. Not receptive to alternatives. They did "fumble" some with the care, hopefully- they probably don't encounter this level of care often. The did a lot of labwork, which did not indicate any MI even with the repeats. The cpt did speed up the ship, and an ambulance was waiting with us able to get off the ship a little after 5am. This involved about 10 hours of service $3500

I have found services similar with several cruise lines.

Edited by Budget Queen

They have (or at least had) ear plugs, sea sickness pills and non asprin pills free at the front desk.

I'm not sure about that anymore. On the Jewel (September 2014) I needed some simple aspirin (and stupidly hadn't brought any). Because of various health issues, I couldn't use any of the iprofen, acetominophen, or other aspirin substitutes for sale in the shop, so I went down to the clinic to see if I could get some plain aspirin from there. They told me that I couldn't get it unless I saw the doctor which would cost $110 (or somesuch). Fortunately, a man in the waiting area overheard, and gave me some of his aspirin.

I can understand about the clinic--just wish the shop had stocked plain aspirin.

They are designed for typical injury (sprains, cuts, bruises, etc...) and illness (like stomach aches, or colds)...they are not equipped for major or chronic issues.. If you have something major, like a heart attack, they will take you off the ship to the nearest hospital...and it might not be the "best" hospital.

Edited by cb at sea