Free Internet Question

LARGIN

Okay. Thanks to all. I am well aware of 1.1.1.1 and making sure to logoff, but never hurts to remind others and newbies. I have had it happen just once where logoff must have failed and I too had NP getting minutes restored - just ask nicely and explain situation.

I guess I should be cruising more often. I was thinking it was a cabin login since I recall you do enter cabin number as part of the login.

So... in summary, I should login once for me and once for my wife upon boarding and get the freebee package (it will be 150 x 2) for each of us, then use the internet by logging in as one of us to exhaust those minutes, then switch to the other. In addition, when I first sign up as me, I should buy any extra minutes I think I might need beyond the 300 total (5 hrs). I imagine 5hrs should be plenty. Too bad I spent $$ on previous cruises - oh well, live & remember thanks to CC.

typing logout.com into your browser also works

[quote name=steelers36;47352549

So... in summary' date=' I should login once for me and once for my wife upon boarding and get the freebee package (it will be 150 x 2) for each of us, then use the internet by logging in as one of us to exhaust those minutes, then switch to the other. In addition, when I first sign up as me, I should buy any extra minutes I think I might need beyond the 300 total (5 hrs). I imagine 5hrs should be plenty. Too bad I spent $$ on previous cruises - oh well, live & remember thanks to CC.[/quote]

As you found out, pre-purchasing minutes before the cruise cannot be used as your Platinium benefit.

As you found out, pre-purchasing minutes before the cruise cannot be used as your Platinium benefit.

That much I knew - I was buying extra, but thinking I was buying on top of 150 and not 300 (dumb as I previously stated). But I think it all got re-priced when I was on-board, so I am scrapping that method going forward.

Also, if you are going to use the second account, you need to make sure and sign up for the account before the last morning of the cruise. You can use internet the last morning before disembarking, but you cannot purchase minutes, since they have closed their books on onboard purchases. This applies even to "purchasing" the free minutes.

I have been on many cruises with my free internet minutes. I've always given them back minutes. Only you know,but do you really need the allotted free minutes plus more? Is you visiting US ports! Do you have a smart phone and can use it when on land?

Compose everything offline and then sign on.

Only suggestions since I would never pay the price for ship internet service that is beyond slow.

Sometimes there are alot of sea days so it's easy to use more than if a cruise is port intensive. And each person is different. :)

So... in summary, I should login once for me and once for my wife upon boarding and get the freebee package (it will be 150 x 2) for each of us, then use the internet by logging in as one of us to exhaust those minutes, then switch to the other. In addition, when I first sign up as me, I should buy any extra minutes I think I might need beyond the 300 total (5 hrs). I imagine 5hrs should be plenty. Too bad I spent $$ on previous cruises - oh well, live & remember thanks to CC.

There is no panic to get both accounts going. In your situation where you think you might need more minutes than the 150 each I would activate the first account and pace your self to get half way through the cruise using it up. If you use too much too fast then you will activate the second account and chose then whether to buy the extra minutes with this account. You wouldn't want to activate both up front buying extra minutes on one of them and then discover that you didn't need the extra minutes.

Delaying the second purchase gives you time to see how it is working out before having to make the decision. And you will see what the extra minutes offer is when you activate the first account so you are prepared when you activate the second. The extra minute offers seem to vary quite a bit from one cruise to the next but they generally seem to be a bargain compared to the normal packages.

They have recently changed back to giving you an internet package based on the way you purchased the cruise in the case of logical cruises where you purchased one cruise comprised of segments. Used to be you would get a package based on the segments for example 2 - 150 minute packages per eligible passenger on a 14 day cruise that was really 2 - 7 day cruises. You really got 1 package each for each 7 day segment but they also were very good about crediting your account on the second week with any unused minutes from the first week.

That all changed sometime late last year. Now on that same 14 day cruise you,will get a 250 minute package each that is good through the 14 days while someone on the same trip who bought the cruise as 2 - 7 day segments will get 150 minutes each week and unused minutes in the first package are gone after the first cruise.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose with this new way of doing things. It seems odd to me to make this change as everything else operates like two separate cruises. Cruise credits, mini bar set up etc. I asked in the Internet Cafe when I lost a bunch of minutes between cruises and was told that is how it works even though I had been on several cruises earlier last year and that was NOT how it worked. So I asked the circle host and she said they had changed Internet companies late in the year and were getting many complaints about how it was being handled. I am okay with the minutes being "per cruise" and lost if not used but it would be nice to have known of the change up front. I always try to "bank" some unused minutes up front just in case I find myself needing more per day as the cruise progresses so I was a bit miffed at losing all my banked minutes after the first of 3 back to backs.

Terry

Hi, AE.

Excellent post. I see what you mean regarding the surprise change-up on how the internet is handled. One might think Princess would contract for how they want the packages to work for a cruise.

OTOH, getting a potential 300 minutes the one way, with a forfeiture of any unused minutes after the first week versus a guaranteed 250 for two weeks doesn't sound too bad a trade-off. Might depend on people's habits.

Anyway, your thoughts and advice are good. But I know from past experience what I use up in a week, so I already know 150 isn't going to cut it. But if I don't go crazy much, 300 in total (wife and I free-bee) might do just fine.

Like stay off CC that week. ;) It will be NFL season too, so I'm into all kinds of articles then. Oh dear me - maybe I need more. LOL.

That all changed sometime late last year. Now on that same 14 day cruise you will get a 250 minute package each that is good through the 14 days while someone on the same trip who bought the cruise as 2 - 7 day segments will get 150 minutes each week and unused minutes in the first package are gone after the first cruise.

Is that still true if you are changing cabins between segments?

If true, will the unused time automatically switch to the new cabin or do you have to ask the Internet manager to make it happen?

Also, what happens if you switched cabins and you try to activate the package during the 2nd segment instead of during the first? Will it even recognize the request since you are no longer requesting activation from the cabin it was originally associated with? Will it give you the full 250 minutes when activating it on the second segment?

It seems odd to me to make this change as everything else operates like two separate cruises. Cruise credits, mini bar set up etc.

Some other things that are not treated as two separate cruises when booked as one cruise:

o Stockholder OBC

o Veterans OBC

o Captain's Circle loyalty OBC

Some other things that are not treated as two separate cruises when booked as one cruise:

o Stockholder OBC

o Veterans OBC

o Captain's Circle loyalty OBC

Thats true.....

Is that still true if you are changing cabins between segments?

If true, will the unused time automatically switch to the new cabin or do you have to ask the Internet manager to make it happen?

Also, what happens if you switched cabins and you try to activate the package during the 2nd segment instead of during the first? Will it even recognize the request since you are no longer requesting activation from the cabin it was originally associated with? Will it give you the full 250 minutes when activating it on the second segment?

I am not certain about this as we haven't changed cabins between segments since they made this change. My guess is that the cabin wouldn't make any difference but I guess that it might take a visit to the Internet Manager. Good question.

There were numerous "warnings" in the patter and on the Wake Show including a guest appearance by the Internet Manager pleading with people to activate all of their internet accounts before changeover day if they were booked on the logical cruise. I guess the ability to activate free accounts would expire after the first segment leading to more lineups at the Internet Cafe.

Terry

Thinking more about this...it must be quite unusual to change cabins between segments on a logical cruise. Logical cruises will usually be "sold out" if the cabins allocated for the logical cruise are all sold even if there are still cabins available for both of the individual segments. Much more common to be changing cabins either on purpose or due to cabin availability when you booked individual cruises to make a back to back.

Terry

Thinking more about this...it must be quite unusual to change cabins between segments on a logical cruise. Logical cruises will usually be "sold out" if the cabins allocated for the logical cruise are all sold even if there are still cabins available for both of the individual segments. Much more common to be changing cabins either on purpose or due to cabin availability when you booked individual cruises to make a back to back.

Agree, but if logical bookings did not involve a cabin change, then there still would be a problem if waiting to activate an account on the second segment. Otherwise, why the warnings on the Wake Show and in the Patter?

There were numerous "warnings" in the patter and on the Wake Show including a guest appearance by the Internet Manager pleading with people to activate all of their internet accounts before changeover day if they were booked on the logical cruise. I guess the ability to activate free accounts would expire after the first segment leading to more lineups at the Internet Cafe.