We Walked Out of Tuscan Grille - Silhouette

need2cruisesoon

I never heard of St. Thomas having pink sand beaches.

I think of Antigua, Bonaire, some islands in the Bahamas and Bermuda come to mind as having pink sand beaches.

Apparently St. Thomas does not have pink sand beaches. Hence the demand for their money back:D

Free meals are offered to silence people. Good for you for not accepting and speaking your mind. Others need to know.

With over 15,000 views, a lot of people including future Celebrity Silhouette cruisers know the whole story.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Am I the only one who thinks after 2-1/2 hours of ambiance...with no request of an expedited dinner...all this conversation between a group of friends with smaller pre dinner courses to suffice a hunger... that the punctuated restroom break by the OP is just a pause for an effect for some big time grandstanding? :eek:

Edited by MizDemeanor

Am I the only one who thinks after 2-1/2 hours of ambiance...with no request of an expedited dinner...all this conversation between a group of friends with smaller pre dinner courses to suffice a hunger... that the punctuated restroom break by the OP is just a pause for an effect for some big time grandstanding? :eek:

Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Humor me, why would it take you so long to complain that it was taking to long for dinner then?

How long into your wait would it have taken you?

It does not matter how long it would have taken me to complain , or if I would have walked out without saying anything , or made a fuss. Everyone's tolerance level is different . But to state his bathroom trip etc was an excuse for grandstanding is trivialising how he felt after such a long and inattentive wait

It does not matter how long it would have taken me to complain , or if I would have walked out without saying anything , or made a fuss. Everyone's tolerance level is different . But to state his bathroom trip etc was an excuse for grandstanding is trivialising how he felt after such a long and inattentive wait

He said it himself. If dinner was not there when he got back he was out.

Mind you, if ANYONE ever set a meal at my place when I was not present... And in this case in the restroom, I'd have had a comment.

A good waiter will not put a meal out when all parties are not present at the table for service delivery.

One generally has to be able to get the attention of a server or manager to express dissatisfaction with meal pacing.

Which raises the question of what the maitre d' was doing while the OP's table suffered through needlessly long course intervals? Certainly s/he does not seemed to have bothered to monitor service. An activity that should be second nature.

Curiously the maitre d' had time to to track down the party once they left the premises. Had s/he been doing their job, the situation likely would not have progressed to the point it did.

Hmmm, let me see. One party was paying for service and one party was not giving it. No, doesn't seem balanced blame to me.

Bad service and miscommunications from both the wait staff and maitre de', and miscommunication or lack of communication (making it known earlier that they were unhappy) from the passengers. The fault lies with the Cruise staff but something should have occurred earlier so the situation was not as bad as it became.

Bad service and miscommunications from both the wait staff and maitre de', and miscommunication or lack of communication (making it known earlier that they were unhappy) from the passengers. The fault lies with the Cruise staff but something should have occurred earlier so the situation was not as bad as it became.

That's an interesting opinion. So you feel that the customer has some kind of obligation to inform the company that they are not doing a good job. I'm not sure that a company can stay in business if they are relying on that to occur.

That's an interesting opinion. So you feel that the customer has some kind of obligation to inform the company that they are not doing a good job. I'm not sure that a company can stay in business if they are relying on that to occur.

I agree with Mic... I would not have waited nearly that long before seeking AND finding the Maître'D. Yes, the staff was at fault, but why let an evening get destroyed when finding the management and presenting the problem, maybe an hour in could have resolved it. We don't know the other side of the story, not that it matters... but no way I would have waited two and a half hours....

I agree with Mic... I would not have waited nearly that long before seeking AND finding the Maître'D. Yes, the staff was at fault, but why let an evening get destroyed when finding the management and presenting the problem, maybe an hour in could have resolved it. We don't know the other side of the story, not that it matters... but no way I would have waited two and a half hours....

Agreed, while not their fault, the passenger didn't help themselves by not acting sooner.

Agreed, while not their fault, the passenger didn't help themselves by not acting sooner.

Some people just make situations more problematic. It does take a lot of time to eat a meal in a Specialty Restaurant. We plan on more than two hours and we do not eat every course. But there are some people expecting a fast food pace.

We wanted to attend an event on the ship and it was running late in one of the Specialties. We mentioned it to our waiter. He checked and told us we could come back later and enjoy our dessert. That was a real nice gesture and everyone was happy. You just need to speak up and do so in a polite manner. Unfortunately, I have seen people approach staff in a confrontational manner which is unacceptable.. The staff works real hard and deserves respect.

But why can't you ask to be served more quickly? The 2-3 hour timing is an affectation, something they choose to do. It doesn't take that long to get the food ready for service, it is a timing designed to make you feel the dinner is more special.

And many people hate it (us included).

What is wrong with the customer stating at the outset that they would prefer a brisker pace? I'm not talking coffee shop brisk, or even MDR brisk (we always liked the timing there), but rather a little slower than the MDR, but certainly not 2-3 hours!

I've only been in the Normandie/Olympic, etc., specialty restaurants, and we liked the menus but most especially the gorgeous surroundings - having the meal drag on and on was boring and tedious. It wasn't like a small portion 12-14 course dinner that does take that long, but to have interminable waits between courses was horrible.

When we were gifted this latest SR, I was so thrilled to see that Connie had the Tuscan Grille, because there was no way we wanted to sit through another marathon, but if the TG is just as bad we might just chuck our "gift" and tell the giver how lovely it was.

But why can't you ask to be served more quickly? The 2-3 hour timing is an affectation, something they choose to do. It doesn't take that long to get the food ready for service, it is a timing designed to make you feel the dinner is more special.

And many people hate it (us included).

What is wrong with the customer stating at the outset that they would prefer a brisker pace? I'm not talking coffee shop brisk, or even MDR brisk (we always liked the timing there), but rather a little slower than the MDR, but certainly not 2-3 hours!

I've only been in the Normandie/Olympic, etc., specialty restaurants, and we liked the menus but most especially the gorgeous surroundings - having the meal drag on and on was boring and tedious. It wasn't like a small portion 12-14 course dinner that does take that long, but to have interminable waits between courses was horrible.

When we were gifted this latest SR, I was so thrilled to see that Connie had the Tuscan Grille, because there was no way we wanted to sit through another marathon, but if the TG is just as bad we might just chuck our "gift" and tell the giver how lovely it was.

I sure wouldn't "chuck" the gift for Tuscan on Connie....we had two wonderful meals there, and while they didn't last 3 hours, it was probably close to 2 each time, but we enjoyed a bottle of wine during that time.....AND I think you COULD tell them you aren't in the mood for a long leisurely meal, AT THE OUTSET, and they would honor that request....certainly, it can't hurt to try...

Absolutely all of our meals at Tuscan on various ships have been shorter in length than any of the ones like the Olympic, Murano, Normandie...etc...

Edited by Gracie115

Agreed. As I mentioned, speak up and communicate with the staff. I don't understand guests who don't vocalize their expectations or requests and let it play out...waiting for the moment where they can unleash (without sharing what their ultimatum is). If a guests says, "We feel we have been waiting too long to be served and would like you to pick up the pace, and serve us in the next 15-minutes or we walk..." I'm sure the meal would be plated and served.

Communicate, rather than suffering in silence, holding it in and blowing up afterwards.

Everyone makes mistakes, so point it out and let the hotel, restaurant, shop keeper, whoever, make it right.

BTW, I think the old specialty restaurants on the M-Class ships are notoriously slow (Olympic, Normandie, Ocean Liners, SS United States)...from our very first meal we had. A couple of years ago we mentioned to the Maitre'D that we did not want a 3-hour experience, but maybe half that time. They honored our request and that is typically what we ask now, with the exception of Qsine and Bistro, which is quicker in our opinion.

Communicate early on and they usually try to accommodate.

Edited by Mermen

Our experience at all specialty restaurants on all lines is that they are painfully slow... wth the possible exception of Qsine. They had to bring out about 14 different courses for our party of 8 so they had to get a early start to get us out before they closed.

Yes, if you want a quick solution.

I sure wouldn't "chuck" the gift for Tuscan on Connie....we had two wonderful meals there, and while they didn't last 3 hours, it was probably close to 2 each time, but we enjoyed a bottle of wine during that time.....AND I think you COULD tell them you aren't in the mood for a long leisurely meal, AT THE OUTSET, and they would honor that request....certainly, it can't hurt to try...

Absolutely all of our meals at Tuscan on various ships have been shorter in length than any of the ones like the Olympic, Murano, Normandie...etc...

We have had the situation where we were wanting to get to a show before dessert. We said we would skip dessert and the waiter said we could pick what we wish and it would be sent to the room, fair enough, they were waiting for us on our return. :D