We Walked Out of Tuscan Grille - Silhouette

need2cruisesoon

Agreed. As I mentioned, speak up and communicate with the staff. I don't understand guests who don't vocalize their expectations or requests and let it play out...waiting for the moment where they can unleash (without sharing what their ultimatum is). If a guests says, "We feel we have been waiting too long to be served and would like you to pick up the pace, and serve us in the next 15-minutes or we walk..." I'm sure the meal would be plated and served.

Communicate, rather than suffering in silence, holding it in and blowing up afterwards.

Everyone makes mistakes, so point it out and let the hotel, restaurant, shop keeper, whoever, make it right.

BTW, I think the old specialty restaurants on the M-Class ships are notoriously slow (Olympic, Normandie, Ocean Liners, SS United States)...from our very first meal we had. A couple of years ago we mentioned to the Maitre'D that we did not want a 3-hour experience, but maybe half that time. They honored our request and that is typically what we ask now, with the exception of Qsine and Bistro, which is quicker in our opinion.

Communicate early on and they usually try to accommodate.

What you say is very true. There are many cultures in the world that enjoy an extended dining experience. Speak up and let them know what the problem is. Just a kind request is usually enough.

What you say is very true. There are many cultures in the world that enjoy an extended dining experience. Speak up and let them know what the problem is. Just a kind request is usually enough.

Agreed, the staff are not mind readers or else they would be n the theatre instead.:D

Fine dining should not be rushed. It is normal to have time between courses. I feel that you are paying a pretty premium for a Specialty Restaurant and most come for a relaxing and leisurely meal. If you want to eat and run, then you need to let the staff know. Just don't get ticked off and walk out.

Being served my salad at 9:30, I would not expect my main course until after 10 in a fine restaurant.

Fine dining should not be rushed. It is normal to have time between courses. I feel that you are paying a pretty premium for a Specialty Restaurant and most come for a relaxing and leisurely meal. If you want to eat and run, then you need to let the staff know. Just don't get ticked off and walk out.

Being served my salad at 9:30, I would not expect my main course until after 10 in a fine restaurant.

Certainly fine dining should not be rushed but it should also not be a long drawn out event, with tedious waits between courses. The timing of a meal is one of the factors that defines fine dining, not just the food, service and ambience. I certainly would not be happy to have only had two courses in two hours. If I arrive at a restaurant at 8pm I would expect a timeline something like this:

8:05 menus and wine list provided

8:15 orders taken

8:35 first course should have arrived. An appetiser does not take long to eat, say ten minutes at the absolute most

8:45 appetiser plates cleared

9:00 salad arrives. 10-15 minutes to eat depending on the size of the salad.

9:15 salad plates cleared

9:30 main (entree) arrives, allow 20 minutes to eat

9:50 main plates cleared

10:15 dessert arrives

These times are generous, I feel. The meal should not feel rushed but should flow smoothly.

Sometimes restaurants will string out a meal, particularly with a group, so that they can maximise their wine sales. I regard this as an abhorrent practice and would not go back to that restaurant by choice.

In the case similar to the OP I would have been close to walking out the door by the time the menus were handed out. Twenty minutes is a ridiculously long time to wait for menus. I certainly would not have waited until 9pm for my first course.

In the past when we have eaten in Normandie, if it's just my DH and I we make reservations for 8 PM so we can be done by 10:30 PM. That is long enough even for fine, specialty dining.

Now if we were with a group I probably would add a bit more time on. But not to much.

I had to re-read the OP. It was a group of six. His first communication to staff was to go to the kitchen.

Why not have spoken up maybe an hour earlier to the server or maître d if timing was an issue?

I have experienced TG several times with a group of four and 2 1/2 - 3 hours goes by pretty quick with good cocktails, food, wine and conversation if you ask me. It's not like you have a train to catch.

Oz, I don't think you're too far off in your time, but I'd add in an additional 30 minutes for the entire meal because people do tend to talk. ;)

I once joined a group of 10 for dinner in Murano. We met at 6pm, we were having such a great time, at 11:45 we realized it was time to go, and we hadn't even gotten to the cheese cart yet. Staff had started replacing table cloths etc. LOL.

We had such a great time, it felt like nothing.

I had to re-read the OP. It was a group of six. His first communication to staff was to go to the kitchen.

Why not have spoken up maybe an hour earlier to the server or maître d if timing was an issue?

I have experienced TG several times with a group of four and 2 1/2 - 3 hours goes by pretty quick with good cocktails, food, wine and conversation if you ask me. It's not like you have a train to catch.

You are on vacation and no planes or trains or bus to take.

In the Tuscan Grill, we have received additional surprise appetizers in addition to those we ordered. 3 hours is reasonable if you consider the drinks, courses, surprise items, etc. As mentioned, if you have a show to must see, it should be mentioned early in the evening. Just walking out is not the answer.

You are on vacation and no planes or trains or bus to take.

In the Tuscan Grill, we have received additional surprise appetizers in addition to those we ordered. 3 hours is reasonable if you consider the drinks, courses, surprise items, etc. As mentioned, if you have a show to must see, it should be mentioned early in the evening. Just walking out is not the answer.

We could have caught a plane flown to shore and had dinner and be back in our cabins by the time TG was ready to serve our main course.

So, yes walking out was the right option and the staff knew that as well. They were embarrassed and I was embarrassed for them too.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Agreed, the staff are not mind readers or else they would be n the theatre instead.:D

Good wait staff may not read minds but they are able to pick up the various signals provided by each party. The best staff provide service paced so exactly that diners are not even aware of the transitions or the passing of time. Even good wait staff come very close to this. It is not rocket science. It just demands that staff pay attention to their customers.

From what I have personally seen on my last few Celebrity cruises - the crew on our sailings have not been up to par with what we have experienced in the past.

That's not to say that service is bad, but we have had less than stellar service more often in the past 2 years. Where once it would have been an anomaly now it seems to be happening more often.

From what I have personally seen on my last few Celebrity cruises - the crew on our sailings have not been up to par with what we have experienced in the past.

That's not to say that service is bad, but we have had less than stellar service more often in the past 2 years. Where once it would have been an anomaly now it seems to be happening more often.

I absolutely do NOT agree...sorry this has happened to you but our Eclipse TA cruise this past April had the best service we have ever had on Celebrity and that goes back 17 years.....so I think every ship is different....

I absolutely do NOT agree...sorry this has happened to you but our Eclipse TA cruise this past April had the best service we have ever had on Celebrity and that goes back 17 years.....so I think every ship is different....

Glad to hear you had excellent service. Where you in a regular cabin and did you eat in the MDR?

We have had problems with room stewards (inside cabin) and assistant waiters (MDR). Not sure if it was just because they were overworked or what.

Glad to hear you had excellent service. Where you in a regular cabin and did you eat in the MDR?

We have had problems with room stewards (inside cabin) and assistant waiters (MDR). Not sure if it was just because they were overworked or what.

We were in a suite on Eclipse and I'm sure that made it even better, yes....BUT our two cruises before that on Connie were in a "regular" cabin and we thought they were very good too....no complaints at all....and especially with room stewards....

Certainly fine dining should not be rushed but it should also not be a long drawn out event, with tedious waits between courses. The timing of a meal is one of the factors that defines fine dining, not just the food, service and ambience. I certainly would not be happy to have only had two courses in two hours. If I arrive at a restaurant at 8pm I would expect a timeline something like this:

8:05 menus and wine list provided

8:15 orders taken

8:35 first course should have arrived. An appetiser does not take long to eat, say ten minutes at the absolute most

8:45 appetiser plates cleared

9:00 salad arrives. 10-15 minutes to eat depending on the size of the salad.

9:15 salad plates cleared

9:30 main (entree) arrives, allow 20 minutes to eat

9:50 main plates cleared

10:15 dessert arrives

This is the first sentence in the OP original post

We walked out after being seated at 8:00pm. Menu in hand by 8:20. Appetizers were served at 9:00 then salads a half hour later. Then by 10:15 pm I got up to use the mens restroom and told myself that if the food wasn't on the table I was walking to the kitchen.

While I agree with your time frame this wasn't the case for the OP.

20 minutes to receive a menu is ridiculous. This was the first clue that something was off. I have never in the most busiest of time waited 20minutes for a menu anywhere. 40 minutes before the appetizers arrived is also absurd. I might have left just waiting for that course. I don't know of any restaurant where you arrive and an hour later nothing is on the table to eat. The OP and guests must have been nursing the garnishes from their cocktails. I can visualize someone sucking on the stem of a cherry or chewing on an olive pit. They were grazing on salad for 45 minutes and still no dinner at 10:15. I don't know anyone who takes 45 minutes to eat a dinner salad. This was a bad experience. I don't think the OP would have questioned the chef if there was someone else visible to speak with.

This is the first sentence in the OP original post

We walked out after being seated at 8:00pm. Menu in hand by 8:20. Appetizers were served at 9:00 then salads a half hour later. Then by 10:15 pm I got up to use the mens restroom and told myself that if the food wasn't on the table I was walking to the kitchen.

While I agree with your time frame this wasn't the case for the OP.

20 minutes to receive a menu is ridiculous. This was the first clue that something was off. I have never in the most busiest of time waited 20minutes for a menu anywhere. 40 minutes before the appetizers arrived is also absurd. I might have left just waiting for that course. I don't know of any restaurant where you arrive and an hour later nothing is on the table to eat. The OP and guests must have been nursing the garnishes from their cocktails. I can visualize someone sucking on the stem of a cherry or chewing on an olive pit. They were grazing on salad for 45 minutes and still no dinner at 10:15. I don't know anyone who takes 45 minutes to eat a dinner salad. This was a bad experience. I don't think the OP would have questioned the chef if there was someone else visible to speak with.

Can't say that you're wrong in any of your statements, but for me....I would have gotten up and FOUND someone long before they did..... I would have found someone 10 minutes after I got there if I had no menus....usually menus are handed to you when you sit down.....something was NOT right that night and I would have found out quickly if it could be fixed and if not I would have left. I don't blame the OP for leaving, just think they were WAY TOO PATIENT....and once reaching the "boiling point" there was no going back for them.... All they did wrong was remain passive too long.....to their disadvantage...

Good wait staff may not read minds but they are able to pick up the various signals provided by each party. The best staff provide service paced so exactly that diners are not even aware of the transitions or the passing of time. Even good wait staff come very close to this. It is not rocket science. It just demands that staff pay attention to their customers.

True, but if they do not pick up on the signals then perhaps they need telling. In the OPs case, they were not even available so that has other issues again.

Can't say that you're wrong in any of your statements, but for me....I would have gotten up and FOUND someone long before they did..... I would have found someone 10 minutes after I got there if I had no menus....usually menus are handed to you when you sit down.....something was NOT right that night and I would have found out quickly if it could be fixed and if not I would have left. I don't blame the OP for leaving, just think they were WAY TOO PATIENT....and once reaching the "boiling point" there was no going back for them.... All they did wrong was remain passive too long.....to their disadvantage...

Agreed, Hindsight shows that the OP was at least 1/2 hour too patient.

Edited by MicCanberra

Absolutely, I would have been all over it after 5minutes of not receiving a menu. Sitting for 20 minutes without being acknowledged is ridiculous at the prices they are charging for specialty restaurants. I would have walked out after 10 minutes. By that time the moment has passed and the dining experienced ruined.

I want to see that menu immediately even if I don't order that quick. Always anxious to see what I have to choose from.

I personally take responsibility for the pace I'm in the mood for and if I see it's not going my way, I speak up. I've never had to walk out due to the pace of service ANYWHERE

I think part of the problem comes when you are dining with "others". You don't want to make a scene, embarrass your companions.

When it's just my husband and I we know when we want to get up and leave.

I've suffered through horrible meals with others because I just didn't want to be a complainer.

And even if you are all chatting amiably a good server will say "no rush, here are your menus, if you have any questions just let me know" rather than make them sit and sit and sit because they just happened to be talking together.

I think part of the problem comes when you are dining with "others". You don't want to make a scene, embarrass your companions.

When it's just my husband and I we know when we want to get up and leave.

I've suffered through horrible meals with others because I just didn't want to be a complainer.

And even if you are all chatting amiably a good server will say "no rush, here are your menus, if you have any questions just let me know" rather than make them sit and sit and sit because they just happened to be talking together.

That is so true, dining in a group changes behaviour.

Normally the menus are provided when being seated, so something was off right away.

Edited by MicCanberra

Chef, waiters, and maitre'd had to have known there was a problem. They should have told the diners, explained, and offered something to nibble and a bottle of wine to tide them over.

No excuse for waiting until the diners took matters into their own hands.