My cruise was cancelled!

Hello all,

I got an email today saying that my cruise I have paid a deposit on, has been chartered.

Here is the full story;

My Fiance & I saw the RCI had a great deal on, where you get a double upgrade & on-board credit.... So, we officially booked the cruise with a $400 deposit 3 weeks ago.

Today, I get an email saying the cruise has been chartered, and "here are 6 other sailing dates we can offer you, + we will give you an additional $200 on board credit!"

Sounds great right?!....... Wrong!

I called up, assuming the dates we were given to sail were for the same length of sailing, to and from round trip.

I booked a new date, everything was great until.....

I logged onto the RCI website to see that "my cruise" information was correct/updated on the system..... It said, it was a 10 night christmas cruise.

Sounds fun, however, I booked a 14 NIGHT CRUISE, ROUND TRIP.

This new cruise wasn't even a round trip, nor were the other sailing dates offered a round trip.

This isn't very fair, at all.

I put money down for a 14 night cruise, I expect a 14 night cruise.... Not 10 or 11 nights, where I have to then buy 2 airfares from a different country!

It does say they can book us on any other RCI cruise, however, for the "PREVAILING RATE".

What does that mean?.... Does it mean for the current price the room is selling for? or the price we additionally had paid for and was technically a written contract?

We had a balcony room for the price of a standard interior room because we booked during a double upgrade sale, 14 nights from Sydney to NZ, then back to Sydney as a round trip.... I've paid my deposit, I shouldn't expect any less than what I booked!

Hello all,

I got an email today saying that my cruise I have paid a deposit on, has been chartered.

Here is the full story;

My Fiance & I saw the RCI had a great deal on, where you get a double upgrade & on-board credit.... So, we officially booked the cruise with a $400 deposit 3 weeks ago.

Today, I get an email saying the cruise has been chartered, and "here are 6 other sailing dates we can offer you, + we will give you an additional $200 on board credit!"

Sounds great right?!....... Wrong!

I called up, assuming the dates we were given to sail were for the same length of sailing, to and from round trip.

I booked a new date, everything was great until.....

I logged onto the RCI website to see that "my cruise" information was correct/updated on the system..... It said, it was a 10 night christmas cruise.

Sounds fun, however, I booked a 14 NIGHT CRUISE, ROUND TRIP.

This new cruise wasn't even a round trip, nor were the other sailing dates offered a round trip.

This isn't very fair, at all.

I put money down for a 14 night cruise, I expect a 14 night cruise.... Not 10 or 11 nights, where I have to then buy 2 airfares from a different country!

It does say they can book us on any other RCI cruise, however, for the "PREVAILING RATE".

What does that mean?.... Does it mean for the current price the room is selling for? or the price we additionally had paid for and was technically a written contract?

We had a balcony room for the price of a standard interior room because we booked during a double upgrade sale, 14 nights from Sydney to NZ, then back to Sydney as a round trip.... I've paid my deposit, I shouldn't expect any less than what I booked!

It's a shame your cruise has been chartered, but why would you assume that all the other dates they offered you were for the same thing? I cannot imagine not checking this. Especially given the cruise names on the list would have been different than the name of your cruise.

What cruise are you now booked on? Everything I see out of Sydney in December returns to Sydney.

Prevailing rate means that if you book something different to what is on the list they gave you it will cost you whatever it costs on the market today. The list they offered you, in contrast, is price protected. So, even though the list price might be higher, you won't pay more than the cost of your original cruise. 10 night Christmas cruises, for example, would ordinarily be very expensive.

You will find that this is completely allowed under your cruise contract. The cruise line can change the ports, length of cruise etc at their discretion. If you booked in Australia there isn't a lot you can do as deposits are non-refundable. If you booked through a U.S. Travel agent just cancel and get your money back.

Edited by BekkaW

Do I understand this correct?

You changed your cruise without even checking what you are changing to?

You didn´t really assume you were given 6 alternatives that are exactly the same aren´t you?

Well as the cruise you booked does not exist anymore you can´t expect to get it delivered. It´s in the contract that they can do this. Not nice, but it is what it is.

If you are unhappy I think your best bet might be to negotiate a cancellation with your deposit being refunded. While refundable deposits are not the norm outside the US, in this case you might have a Point in requesting it and I´m thinking they might do it.

Unfortunately the cruise lines do this from time to time and whilst I don't think it's ideal, the options and measly compensation they offered you seems pretty standard. When they give you s list of alternative dates, these could be for shorter, longer or cruises with entirely different itineraries. However you would get a similar grade cabin for the price you paid for your original cruise. So if you had a verandah (regardless of deal paying only an inside price) that's what you would qualify for.

But once you change again or choose a cruise outside of those alternative options, then the current price/offers as at today will prevail.

Why did you rebook before checking exactly what the cruise/itinerary was? It's a shame as one of the other alternate dates may have been closer to your original itinerary and you would have secured a cabin at original pricing.

However even though the Christmas cruise is shorter, they are normally much more expensive and it can actually offer a unique way to spend the festive season!

We are going on our first Christmas/New Year cruise his year and are very excited at the prospect!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I assumed I was changing to a cruise for the exact duration as what I already booked.

I wasn't told any names of the cruise, only dates. They never told us it was different durations, they never mentioned it wouldn't be a round trip! If they did, I wouldn't have booked it.

This is my first cruise & my first big holiday with my fiancé....we're upset & disappointed with what has happened.

It does say whatever money we have paid, we will get back if we decide to cancel before 18th August. I booked with RCI over the phone, but I am from Australia, so I hope if I did cancel, I'll get my money back.

There is a 15 night cruise I was looking at, round trip, which is obviously closer to the cruise we already booked & a round trip..... Do you think they would swap up to that cruise for the same price we paid? Or would we have to pay extra money (prevailing rates) because the date wasn't listed / is a different ship from the cruise line?

Yes I assumed I was changing to a cruise for the exact duration as what I already booked.

I wasn't told any names of the cruise, only dates. They never told us it was different durations, they never mentioned it wouldn't be a round trip! If they did, I wouldn't have booked it.

This is my first cruise & my first big holiday with my fiancé....we're upset & disappointed with what has happened.

It does say whatever money we have paid, we will get back if we decide to cancel before 18th August. I booked with RCI over the phone, but I am from Australia, so I hope if I did cancel, I'll get my money back.

There is a 15 night cruise I was looking at, round trip, which is obviously closer to the cruise we already booked & a round trip..... Do you think they would swap up to that cruise for the same price we paid? Or would we have to pay extra money (prevailing rates) because the date wasn't listed / is a different ship from the cruise line?

I still can´t believe you just changed without checking. Well they haven´t told you, it´s different, because it´s just common sense to check.

You can try to sweet talk them into that 15 night cruise, but I wouldn´t hold much hope you will get it for the same Price if it wasn´t on the list. Most likely you will have to pay the prevailling rate for it. If cancellation with refundable deposit is offered until Aug 18th. that might be a good Option for you.

Edited by Paulxyz2004

The balcony upgrade sale has been extended until the 12th August. I would suggest a good look at what is on offer that you like and then get back onto them with your preference knowing what it is worth and where it is going. If you are not happy, then get a refund and go check out some other cruise lines. There are so many cruises out of Sydney that return to Sydney, with Royal as well as other lines.

We have cancelled cruises with Royal Caribbean and the deposits usually are re-credited back on our credit card in one to two weeks. I believe it is the bank that causes part of the delay also.

You were very unlucky for your second choice to get a Royal cruise that finished in NZ. Most of them come back to Sydney. A Christmas cruise is normally much more expensive than October/November, so they would have possibly been offering you a very good price compared to normal pricing. We have friends that like to cruise at Christmas and they usually pay similar for an inside with Holland America as to what we pay for a Junior Suite on Royal for an out of school holidays time.

The cancellation for a charter is disappointing, but it does happen, and it is better for you to take the best advantage of whatever they are offering.

Edited by goodycruising

Sorry your original cruise was chartered requiring a change to another cruise. Having never cruised before and not knowing how things work is a tough way to have to learn.

After booking our first cruise and talking to others, we decided we needed to split into two cabins rather than having four in one. Being rookies, we never knew that cruise fares could change from day to day. So, lesson learned. We had a very good travel agent who went to bat for us and got us the same rate for the second cabin as the original cabin rate.

Honestly, all you can do is ask for what you want. Rather doubtful you will be able to get the 15 day cruise mentioned for the same price. Also, I don't really know all of the rules and regs for Australia. Definitely ask about getting the deposit refunded if you decide not to cruise at all.

Be prepared to fork out more money for the cruise you want. Either way, it looks like you will have to either pay more money for air fare or cruise fare. School of hard knocks is a tough way to learn. :( Good luck on your quest.

Edited by denamo

I'm sorry your cruise was cancelled. But I would suggest you take a moment and somehow recalibrate your expectations and what is going to upset you. Otherwise, I suspect you are never going to be happy about the coming trip.

Yes, cruise ships get chartered, and when they do, anyone already booked gets rescheduled. It's in the contract that this can happen. It's uncommon, but totally within the realm of what can and should be expected.

As others have echoed on here, ASSUMING they were making suggestions that were EXACTLY the same is purely on you. Seeing is you're on this message board, it's a safe bet that you have a computer and have discovered the internet. Why you wouldn't take two minutes to look at the details is something I can't comprehend. But you did so. That's on you, not Royal Caribbean.

Travel in general requires some degree of flexibility and willingness to make adjustments. Granted this is a fairly sizable one. But, it's also well in advance of the travel date. So really it should be that big of a deal.

Cruising is supposed to be fun! If you're this upset this far out, I don't hold out a lot of hope that you'll come back with a positive impression.

In the US the letter they email you gives a date for you to make any changes. I don't know if they allow you to change more than one time before the cutoff date but it certainly would not hurt to call them and ask if you could switch again or if you could switch to the 14 day one.

It may cost you a bit more for the extra day. Good luck

It's a shame your cruise has been chartered, but why would you assume that all the other dates they offered you were for the same thing? I cannot imagine not checking this. Especially given the cruise names on the list would have been different than the name of your cruise.

What cruise are you now booked on? Everything I see out of Sydney in December returns to Sydney.

Prevailing rate means that if you book something different to what is on the list they gave you it will cost you whatever it costs on the market today. The list they offered you, in contrast, is price protected. So, even though the list price might be higher, you won't pay more than the cost of your original cruise. 10 night Christmas cruises, for example, would ordinarily be very expensive.

You will find that this is completely allowed under your cruise contract. The cruise line can change the ports, length of cruise etc at their discretion. If you booked in Australia there isn't a lot you can do as deposits are non-refundable. If you booked through a U.S. Travel agent just cancel and get your money back.

I have to disagree with what you said. Cruise contract or not, any business worth their salt would offer apples to apples. I think it is insulting to throw the contract in someone's face when they have a legitimate complaint. If you are price protected for a 14 day cruise that is what you should be offered and not for a 10 day cruise. Royal should take the hit on profit and give them carte blanche on any 14 day cruise. IMHO they are not getting what they paid for if they purchased 14 days and get 10, in this case only RCI wins.

I still can´t believe you just changed without checking. Well they haven´t told you, it´s different, because it´s just common sense to check.

You can try to sweet talk them into that 15 night cruise, but I wouldn´t hold much hope you will get it for the same Price if it wasn´t on the list. Most likely you will have to pay the prevailling rate for it. If cancellation with refundable deposit is offered until Aug 18th. that might be a good Option for you.

Me either, I am in awe. I have no idea how you wouldn't make sure of the dates, the number of nights, the ports, the costs, etc. Royal Caribbean is just trying to re-book you; most agents unfortunately aren't going to be concerned with that. I've had the exact same thing happen to me - cancelled a 7 night, and were offering me a 5 night. Always make sure you check everything, never assume someone else is taking care of it.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

I don't know if I said this properly the first time, but I was only offered dates, no other options or details. So yes, when I am given 6 dates to choose from, for a 14 night cruise that I just had cancel on me, it's to my understanding I would get to select a different sailing date from those 6 dates I was told, for a 14 day cruise I originally purchased.

Not everyone knows the "protocols" of cruising, this is my first cruise so give me a break!

Edited by missmetal

I have to disagree with what you said. Cruise contract or not, any business worth their salt would offer apples to apples. I think it is insulting to throw the contract in someone's face when they have a legitimate complaint. If you are price protected for a 14 day cruise that is what you should be offered and not for a 10 day cruise. Royal should take the hit on profit and give them carte blanche on any 14 day cruise. IMHO they are not getting what they paid for if they purchased 14 days and get 10, in this case only RCI wins.

I am glad to see someone posting with all the facts. The op got 6 choices and picked 1 without checking, so would you please tell us what the other 5 are since you have the facts, dates, length of cruise, etc.

Edited by setsail

Well you have a nice opinion there, but unfortunately your opinion has nothing to do with reality and how cruiselines handle this.

I even agree with you that it´s not the same if they get 10 days vs. 14 days. However they have not paid for it, just put a deposit down and they were offered a full refund of this. So it´s up to the OP to make up their minds about what they want.

Of course the win is with RCI. It was in the Moment they signed the charter contract. BTW it´s the reason why they are in Business.;)

Isn't putting down the deposit purchasing my reservation? Even if I paid in advance, I dare say I would have been offered the same dates.... Regardless of a deposit or not.

Yep it is, but it is not you didn´t get what you paid for, as you didn´t pay for it (yet) ;)

Anyway, you agreed to a contract with putting your deposit down and it´s in the contract they can cancel the cruise, which they did.

They offered you Options, including a number of Price protected Cruises, re-booking to other Cruises at prevailing Prices or cancelling with full refund.

It´s unfortunate it happened to you, but it´s all within the contract and it´s your choice now.

Am so sorry your booked cruise was cancelled. That must be so dissapointing. With it being your frist time booking, I can understand you not asking all the questions and just assuming things (i.e. such as same itenirary). I would call RCL back and explain the story and see if there is something that meets your cruise preference more.

I agree it stinks that your cruise was cancelled - that would not make me happy AT ALL. That being said, I would NEVER re-book without looking online to see exactly what was being offered by the alternatives they provided. I'd want to know itinerary, dates, length of cruise, etc. all before rescheduling.

Edited by Sascol

If you had the dates, all the information is available on the RC website for the sailings you had to choose from. Including the current price, itinerary, to make an informed decision on if it is a good deal or not. I'm sorry you didn't think to do this, but we live and learn. Bummer your cruise was chartered but if the alternatives don't work, maybe you can get your deposit back.

I think the important point here is that the OP is a first time cruiser. We all know that you must be very proactive if problems arise. Because unless you have a TA going to bat for you it can be difficult to know what to do. When I cruised for the first time I knew NOTHING about cruising. I was lucky all went well.

OP I would call RC and explain you assumed the options they gave for the substitute cruise were for the same length as the chartered cruise. That you are disappointed to see they are not. Ask if there is any way to change to another cruise and be price protected? [you will need to be very calm--because this change desk gets lots of not happy campers] If you do not get satisfaction then ask for resolutions. They may be able to help you.

However, I know they only give you a couple of weeks to make changes and from your original description it seemed to me that some time had passed before you logged on and saw the cruise details.

Whatever happens have a good cruise. If you do not feel you can do that -- If nothing else you should still be able to get your deposit back.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Not a lot of sympathy from many of the posters here, but I agree with OP - if RC cancelled the cruise they should have provided full information on alternatives, and also made sure that the alternative chosen was a bargain similar to the original booking. A one-way cruise is much different from a round-trip, and not comparable.

The OP is only asking for decent customer service.

Not a lot of sympathy from many of the posters here, but I agree with OP - if RC cancelled the cruise they should have provided full information on alternatives, and also made sure that the alternative chosen was a bargain similar to the original booking. A one-way cruise is much different from a round-trip, and not comparable.

The OP is only asking for decent customer service.

Sympathy is nice, but it won´t help the OP with the Situation. Telling the OP how sad a Situation this is and how unfiar it is won´t help a bit. It won´t Change RCI´s offer.

The OP has been given advice on how to deal with the Situation which IMO is much more helpful.