Veendam

Dog Drool

I enjoyed Veendam in May when I cruised from Boston to Bermuda. I will say, however, that the spa was NOT up to the standards I am used to on HAL. The thermal "pool" (hot tub) did not work the entire cruise (too hot, too cold, jets didn't work, grate around tub broken... just general problems every single day), there were piles and piles of dirty towels left for hours around the thermal suite, the shower and locker area was in disarray... in short - a disappointment. That said, however, the rest of the ship seemed ship-shape, the crew was wonderful as always, and Veendam has a lovely charm.

We were on Veendam in July 2014. The ship got us from place to place and there were no problems inside or out. The crew, the food and the entertainment were fine. No major items that looked old or dingy. That said, it is not up to the standards of the newer ships.

DW and I sailed on the Veendam this June to Bermuda from Boston and last June (2014) from Quebec to Boston. The 2014 voyage was without significant incident - however this year's voyage was not.

In the humid sub-tropical climate many A/C units broke down; some were repaired on the voyage and some were not. Our unit in suite 005 was out for about 30 hours before service was restored. After restoration the A/C functioned at a minimal level for the rest of the voyage. Our neighbors in 003 lost their A/C at the same time and service was never restored. The steward brought in fans which helped somewhat but came nowhere near making the cabins comfortable. This problem was spotty throughout the ship with some areas losing their A/C and others doing just fine.

Electrical problems resulted in all the elevators going out of service (without notice) on at least 2 occasions. Both times I ended up stuck in an elevator without power; for about 5 minutes the first time and about 15 minutes the second time. The ship may have had a "quicky" one-week dry dock in 2014, but it needs a serious equipment overhaul/refurbishment - either that or keep it off the warm-weather itineraries. I will say that in all instances the crew bent over backwards and stood on their heads to try and make things right.

I would also add that, despite significant problems, DW and I had a wonderful time both on the ship and in Bermuda this last June. Having a great crew with a positive attitude goes a long way to smooth over troubled waters. I will not hesitate to sail on the Veendam again if she offers an itinerary we are interested in.

We were in an aft corner in May to Bermuda. Had a wonderful cruise, not a problem. Loved the size of this ship, the room was great and I found the overall condition was terrific. I will sail on her again.

Was on Veendam in March 2015. The carpet had been changed and she got new soft furnishings since prior cruise in January 2013 (they installed new carpet during part of that 2013 cruise). One of the best improvements was that the net in the dining room had been removed.

I would happily sail on her again.