Young children question on the Reflection

juliet

Thinking of taking our kids and two grandkids on a Celebrity Reflection cruise. One baby and one 3 year old. Was wondering if anyone has any advise for us on the ship. The kids would be in a Sky Suite which has a little more room than a regular cabin as they'll need a crib. Is milk available for free or do you have to purchase it in the drink package? Also bottled water? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Breakfast room service is a godsend. Sets the tone for the day (with the three year-old, at any rate). Nice relaxed breakfast on the balcony. :)

Here's a breakfast room service menu someone's posted so you can have an idea of how well it fits for you.

Edited by CanadianDee

The 3 year old will be eligible for the kids' program. The baby will not, although there are times when parents can accompany their little one into the kids club and stay with him while he plays with the toys. No children who are not toilet trained are allowed in the pools, at any time, even with swim diapers. Celebrity does have an evening babysitting service, on an as available basis, where two staff members come together to your cabin --- I don't remember the price but I'm sure someone can fill that in. Sounds like a great trip

Thanks for all your help.

Since they charge the 1 and 3 year olds over $1000 for the cruise each as well as charge full for the tips, they're allowed to eat in the specialty restaurant Luminae because they're in a Sky suite. Was wondering if there's any way we can all eat there (2 of us are not in a suite) but not pay the surcharge for us since the two babies would be with a sitter those nights. Kind of silly to have to pay since the kids won't be eating there. Any other hints for little ones on the ship would be helpful too.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for all your help.

Since they charge the 1 and 3 year olds over $1000 for the cruise each as well as charge full for the tips, they're allowed to eat in the specialty restaurant Luminae because they're in a Sky suite. Was wondering if there's any way we can all eat there (2 of us are not in a suite) but not pay the surcharge for us since the two babies would be with a sitter those nights. Kind of silly to have to pay since the kids won't be eating there. Any other hints for little ones on the ship would be helpful too.

Thanks once again.

uhh no. the price the 3d and 4th passengers are charged has NOTHING to do with age nor does the amount of gratuity charged.

if you are not in a suite that offers specialty dining included, or part of a dining package you pay the surcharge. plenty of people are entitled to eat in a specialty restaurant for 'free' but do not do so. they are not allowed to gift that entitlement to anyone else

• 3 weeks later...

For the OP:

Children are not allowed in the specialty restaurants.

Luminae is not a specialty restaurant, simply the assigned dining room for suite guests. To be sure, it is a high end restaurant. You can join the family only for the fee ($50 for dinner, less for breakfast and dinner).

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. I know I would not want to pay that much every night. All could dine in the MDR or the buffet (I cannot comment on dinner in the buffet, we have yet to experience that).

Good luck with whatever you decide, and ignore the Disney suggestion unless that is what you would like to do. It was rude.

Oh shoot, I got caught up in an old thread :(

Edited by kenevenpar

Absolutely true that small children are not allowed in the specialty restaurants. Remember that other passengers have paid their $50 per person and want to enjoy a wonderful dining experience. A 1 year old and a 3 year old in the restaurant would not let that be possible.

Spend the extra money on a sitter and enjoy the freedom of a great dinner.

Actually, the Disney cruise was a great suggestion and NOT rude at all.

Absolutely true that small children are not allowed in the specialty restaurants. Remember that other passengers have paid their $50 per person and want to enjoy a wonderful dining experience. A 1 year old and a 3 year old in the restaurant would not let that be possible.

Spend the extra money on a sitter and enjoy the freedom of a great dinner.

Actually, the Disney cruise was a great suggestion and NOT rude at all.

That is not true, Murano and its equivalent on the other ships has a age limit but there is not age limit on any of the other Specialties such as Qsine, Silk Harvest, Tuscan, etc. Never has been an age limit on them.

I'm not sure why you would want to take small children on Celebrity. What about Disney? It would be a much nicer experience for you AND the kids!

Have you ever taken children on a Celebrity cruise, they have excellent programs for children and are a family cruise line. If Celebrity did not accept families, they would have gone out of business back prior to the merger with Royal. Perhaps if you wish to not see children on a cruise, you should sail on one of the premium lines. Me telling you that is the same as you telling someone to sail Disney with kids and not Celebrity. Perhaps these people can't afford Disney which is twice the price of Celebrity cruises.

Luminae is like a fancy restaurant on land. I don`t feel it is fair to the children to expect them to behave for a 2 hour meal. Many book Luminae and Blu for a more quiet adult dining experience.

...and I do not think it is fair for the other patrons of Luminae to endure whining, squirming, running around, or even loud shouting (outdoor voices) of toddlers for a two hour adult dining experience.

Thinking of taking our kids and two grandkids on a Celebrity Reflection cruise. One baby and one 3 year old. Was wondering if anyone has any advise for us on the ship. The kids would be in a Sky Suite which has a little more room than a regular cabin as they'll need a crib. Is milk available for free or do you have to purchase it in the drink package? Also bottled water? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have two kids that have been cruising with Celebrity for many years... I'd say you would be better off getting 2 connecting verandas over a Sky Suite. It's SOOO much better. The cruise price is about the same, maybe a little less for the 2 verandas. (And especially with the perks given per stateroom - you'll have more OBC, tips, etc. by getting 2 rooms.) Also, the extra space (and bathroom) with little ones is great. You (or their parents) can put them to bed and chill out in the other room while they sleep, nap, etc. If you are getting even more cabins - you can get 3 in a row...and put the kids in the middle. That's what we did when we brought the grandparents with us. And I felt so much more at ease if there was any crying, fighting, etc. I didn't have to worry about neighbors.

And best advice for dinner... go to MDR in the early seating and have the waiters get used to how the kids work. They will bring food/snacks out early. They will speed up the pace if you want to get out quicker. And personally - I'd use the babysitters for nights you want to do the specialty dining. You'll pay less for the sitter than you would for the cover charge for the kids. And the adults can enjoy the full experience more... Book a later table (8:00 or so) and the kids would likely be asleep for the night anyway. And you don't have as much concern over a "stranger" taking care of the kids. We did Luminae last time... it was great, and they were great with my kids, BUT it's a much quieter restaurant and you feel much more conspicuous. My kids are older now too - 6 & 10, but even few times their laughing and chatting felt too loud for Luminae. The MDR is loud anyway, so a kid can be a kid a bit more in there. And having the same waiter throughout the week will be a blessing. Maybe even throw them a few bucks in the beginning of the week with what your expectations are... would go a long way to making it a great week for all of you.

I've always found the crew to be AWESOME with kids. And 90% of the passengers are too. Of course, be respectful of others' experiences... remove the kids if they are melting down, etc. But I'd expect you to have a WONDERFUL time with the Grandkids!!

For keeping my young ones quiet during dinner in the MDR, a tablet or smart phone pre-loaded with some of their favorite movies worked great. I kept the volume on mute and the screen pointed away from other tables so no one else was disturbed.

For milk, I found the best way to warm it up was to run it under the hot water in the stateroom sink. The crew could heat up milk for you, but they use restaurant grade microwaves which brings the milk to near boiling.

No not 90%.

Most adult cruisers want an adult cruise, they just wont say it here.

Lol! You may be right about that... But I'd say to them - go on cruise line without a children's program. Celebrity may not advertise itself on being a "family" cruise line, but it has invested a lot of effort and $$$ into making itself a great cruise line for families with $$. They do a great job with kids. Those who don't like them there - should really go elsewhere.

And best advice for dinner... go to MDR in the early seating and have the waiters get used to how the kids work. They will bring food/snacks out early. They will speed up the pace if you want to get out quicker. And personally - I'd use the babysitters for nights you want to do the specialty dining. You'll pay less for the sitter than you would for the cover charge for the kids. And the adults can enjoy the full experience more... Book a later table (8:00 or so) and the kids would likely be asleep for the night anyway. And you don't have as much concern over a "stranger" taking care of the kids. We did Luminae last time... it was great' date=' and they were great with my kids, BUT it's a much quieter restaurant and you feel much more conspicuous. My kids are older now too - 6 & 10, but even few times their laughing and chatting felt too loud for Luminae. The MDR is loud anyway, so a kid can be a kid a bit more in there. And having the same waiter throughout the week will be a blessing. Maybe even throw them a few bucks in the beginning of the week with what your expectations are... would go a long way to making it a great week for all of you.

I've always found the crew to be AWESOME with kids. And 90% of the passengers are too. Of course, be respectful of others' experiences... remove the kids if they are melting down, etc. But I'd expect you to have a WONDERFUL time with the Grandkids!![/quote']

100% of the adult cruisers in our family enjoy the company of children, which is why we actively search for vacations and cruiselines (including Celebrity) that cater to families. :)

We start the MDR experience chatting about our day, but bring an iPad along for near the end of the meal so our granddaughter can play a game or watch one of her favourite shows while we dawdle over dessert.

Edited by CanadianDee

I have two kids that have been cruising with Celebrity for many years... I'd say you would be better off getting 2 connecting verandas over a Sky Suite. It's SOOO much better. The cruise price is about the same' date=' maybe a little less for the 2 verandas. (And especially with the perks given per stateroom - you'll have more OBC, tips, etc. by getting 2 rooms.) Also, the extra space (and bathroom) with little ones is great. You (or their parents) can put them to bed and chill out in the other room while they sleep, nap, etc. If you are getting even more cabins - you can get 3 in a row...and put the kids in the middle. That's what we did when we brought the grandparents with us. And I felt so much more at ease if there was any crying, fighting, etc. I didn't have to worry about neighbors.

And best advice for dinner... go to MDR in the early seating and have the waiters get used to how the kids work. They will bring food/snacks out early. They will speed up the pace if you want to get out quicker. And personally - I'd use the babysitters for nights you want to do the specialty dining. You'll pay less for the sitter than you would for the cover charge for the kids. And the adults can enjoy the full experience more... Book a later table (8:00 or so) and the kids would likely be asleep for the night anyway. And you don't have as much concern over a "stranger" taking care of the kids. We did Luminae last time... it was great, and they were great with my kids, BUT it's a much quieter restaurant and you feel much more conspicuous. My kids are older now too - 6 & 10, but even few times their laughing and chatting felt too loud for Luminae. The MDR is loud anyway, so a kid can be a kid a bit more in there. And having the same waiter throughout the week will be a blessing. Maybe even throw them a few bucks in the beginning of the week with what your expectations are... would go a long way to making it a great week for all of you.

I've always found the crew to be AWESOME with kids. And 90% of the passengers are too. Of course, be respectful of others' experiences... remove the kids if they are melting down, etc. But I'd expect you to have a WONDERFUL time with the Grandkids!![/quote']

Posts like this is why Cruise Critic needs a "like" button.

Recommendations here are good and exactly what I'd recommend.

Edited by Lsimon