Using a Travel Agent

rbelfi

I know a benefit of using a travel agent is having them work out any requests or changes directly with the cruise line. My family has been using one since I started cruising, to which I did as I got older. Recently, besides not having to deal with the cruise line directly, I've been wondering what other benefits there really are to using one? I always assumed a TA would get you a slightly discounted price, like $50 or some free perk that isn't available for everyone else. I've heard people say they travel agents had access to discounted pricing on cabins from the cruise line, but I've honestly never seen any price difference between the cruise line and what I've been offered by a TA.

Can anyone comment if they have had different experiences with using a TA?

Many times TA's will already have group space on a particular sailing, that was held when the sailing first became available. As a result, the group pricing could be significantly less expensive than what is currently being offered by the cruise line.

Make sure to do your homework, as some TA's will charge for changes and/or cancellations, which many people do not find about until it is too late.

That's what I would think, but I'm always offered the exact same price as I would get if I were to book myself directly. My confirmation sheet will usually have a discount code listed, but the price is the same. Sometime the TA would send us OBC or like a free bucket of beer which is very nice. I just feel that there should be some pricing incentive when using one.

I've never been charge for any changes before so that's a plus.

Edited by rbelfi

I just feel that there should be some pricing incentive when using one.

If you're not getting a discount, then don't use a TA. Other than the group discounted fare, some TAs give money back after the trip. If they're not offering you any service, then don't bother. One big exception would be if this person goes above and beyond to help you with things like price adjustments when the fare drops, etc., but those people are rare. (I happen to have a TA like that.)

That's what I would think, but I'm always offered the exact same price as I would get if I were to book myself directly. My confirmation sheet will usually have a discount code listed, but the price is the same. Sometime the TA would send us OBC or like a free bucket of beer which is very nice. I just feel that there should be some pricing incentive when using one.

I've never been charge for any changes before so that's a plus.

Then your TA apparently did not have group space for your particular cruises or perhaps never does. I have used various web TAs and sometimes one will offer a discounted rate and sometimes not. There is a list of Cruise Critc recommended ones somewhere on the website. There are other perks which many do offer, like OBC as a percentage of your cruise fare, etc. And you get these perks in addition to anything the cruiseline offers. I check around a little and go with whichever one gives me the best deal, all things considered. Even if I can't find a discounted cruise fare, the other perks almost always make it worth booking with a TA.

The perks we get from our TA are either a discounted fare OR some OBC. Once in a great while, both are offered. If you factor in the OBC and take it off the fare, I suppose it could be considered discounted fare. If she were to offer nothing, we would look elsewhere or book directly with the cruiseline.

I do consider OBC a perk that is offered by a TA--but not usually the cruiseline directly.

OP, if your TA is giving the exact same price with no other incentives, I'd look elsewhere to book. :cool:

I usually use CAS but my family swears by a membership warehouse's travel department. the fare is always less and just about always has obc on top of the reduced price.

Like anything else you really have to shop around to get the best deal.

I usually use CAS but my family swears by a membership warehouse's travel department. the fare is always less and just about always has obc on top of the reduced price.

Like anything else you really have to shop around to get the best deal.

i went thru a membership warehouse's travel department.

same price as ncl.com but got $50 obc from them.

AFTER I booked I checked out a couple of TAs that advertise on cruise critic. (look on front page of cruisecritic.com)

one of them had same price but was giving $70 obc. *doh*

and their website was better than the membership warehouse's website for cruises!

Edited by fstuff1

When I started cruising many years ago - I first booked directly with the cruise line. After that I used the Big Box store for several cruises - lower prices and more OBC than booking directly. After more research I found an online cruise agency - that offered more OBC and even lower costs. On occasion I will also get a free bottle of wine or a complimentary dinner in an up-charge restaurant.

My TA was worth her weight in gold earlier this week when my Epic cruise was cancelled and I wanted to switch (and have my price protected) to the same cruise at a different time. She spent hours working through it with NCL and I ended up with an even lower price, more OBC and the UBP.

If you aren't getting discounted rates from your TA find another one.

I always use a local travel agent that I have used for years. He knows what accommodations i need, what I will accept and will not. Sometimes, he gets some really good deals for me. If something should go wrong, before during or after the cruise, he can fix it. I would not go anywhere without his help.

It seems like I'm missing out on deals and should be looking at other agencies for future cruises. The person I use is nice and hasn't done anything wrong, my only grip was hear about all these deals people get. Thanks everyone.

A benefit to booking with a TA is the extra perks they offer. If the TA doesn't offer a perk I don't use them. The online TA I am using for my upcoming cruise gave me an onboard credit of $250. This is for an inside cabin. The price is the same as the cruiseline. An online TA can be harder to reach and the service won't be as good as booking with the cruiseline directly imo.

Norwegian allows a TA to rebate up to 10% of the commissionable fare back as either OBC or as a reduction in cruise fare. My Online TA used to automatically give us 10% back in Refundable OBC but now gives us the option of 10% off or 10% in OBC. I now choose the reduction in price since I always get OBC from NCL anyway. :)

If your TA isn't giving you anything - you need a new TA.

It seems like I'm missing out on deals and should be looking at other agencies for future cruises. The person I use is nice and hasn't done anything wrong, my only grip was hear about all these deals people get. Thanks everyone.

I felt the same way a few years ago so did some comparison shopping. After seeing what was offered on a cruise I had booked directly, I spoke to a couple of agents & made a decision about who I would transfer to. It was a good decision & I've been using the same TA since.

I still generally book directly & then transfer to her. We don't usually have much contact between the transfer & final payment but she's always been available when I've needed her. Nights, weekends, & holidays I've been able to reach her & she always gives us some OBC.

If you decide to change agents, make sure you ask the right questions. A good TA is priceless but a bad TA is worthless..............

I guess I've never understood why people book directly with NCL...

We've booked both of our Garden Villas through a big box TA. We received all the promos NCL offers, plus a discounted price and OBC.

Last year we received about $4k off NCLs price and $500 OBC... This year not as much off, but almost $800 OBC. All booking through a TA.

I guess it helps to shop around, but I've always found a better deal and more OBC through the right TA.

I always use a local travel agent that I have used for years. He knows what accommodations i need, what I will accept and will not. Sometimes, he gets some really good deals for me. If something should go wrong, before during or after the cruise, he can fix it. I would not go anywhere without his help.

I wish I could find one like that, a real TA not just a booking body. I bet the big online agencies aren't too helpful in cases like that or am I wrong ? I'm still doing it all myself but it'd be nice to identify an alternative !

The online TA I have used for years has always had a better price compared to the cruse lines site. I have never had a problem with them. Our last 6-7 cruises have been on Carnival but our upcoming October cruise is on NCL.

We use a TA from a large agency in Houston. They have always had a cheaper price than booking directly with the cruise lines. Except our last booking, on a 11 night cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii, on the Pride of America. She was surprised to find out their price was the same. We still got the regular $100 OBC and a bottle of wine, she has given us on previous bookings. So we still did better, than going through NCL.

I had a TA do our first cruise but there was really no benefit. Cost me $100 to go through them TA's here. Only one within 110 miles so can't really shop around. Easy enough to do it yourself now days I guess.

I would go through online agency but have no idea who is legit and who is not so much. How do you know?

Edited by sprint180

I would go through online agency but have no idea who is legit and who is not so much. How do you know?

Start with these for example, many people seem to use one of these agencies: http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

We are not allowed to name/recommend any TAs, even asking for it (I know you didn't) is against CC rules.

We too get about 10% of total cruise price as a discount and/or OBC from our TA - booking direct would be just stupid.

Edited by Demonyte

If you can find a TA who has group space on a multitude of sailings, you can usually do better than booking directly with the cruise line. First off, you get the benefit of the group pricing, secondly - you usually get amenities that are usually to the groups.

As a side note to thoes that shop around for the best deal - just as cruisers will say that a good TA is worth their weight in gold, so goes it for a loyal client (not a shopper). If a client ALWAYS uses the same TA for all of their travel needs, they are worth their weight in gold and are justly rewarded with perks, OBC, etc. (at least by a GOOD TA).