Sleeping w balcony propped open during Med cruise

As I figured, an old wives tail.

Perhaps you should read this article from right here on Cruise Critic. Something tells me you still won't believe it because it seems you've convinced yourself it isn't true.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

Pay particular attention to what Mary Schimmelman from Holland America Line said.

Edited by Aquahound

I have to admit that when our stateroom on Allure was too warm, I did not go to all the neighboring staterooms, knock on their doors, and check if their balcony door was open. :rolleyes:

Was thinking exactly the same thought!....:)

Lol same here. :D

I'm glad you all find this so funny, but I am serious. First, lets not kid ourselves- I believe that some people do leave the balcony door open. Some for part of the day, and I'm sure some do so all night long.

If that's the case, and it has resulted in discomfort in other staterooms, I would have to imagine at least some of those people would have complained about their A/C not working. And if they did, don't you think somewhere along the way it would have been reported by engineering when they checked it out that it was because someone else had their balcony door open?

I'm glad you all find this so funny, but I am serious. First, lets not kid ourselves- I believe that some people do leave the balcony door open. Some for part of the day, and I'm sure some do so all night long.

If that's the case, and it has resulted in discomfort in other staterooms, I would have to imagine at least some of those people would have complained about their A/C not working. And if they did, don't you think somewhere along the way it would have been reported by engineering when they checked it out that it was because someone else had their balcony door open?

I'm not so sure that maintenance would go and check other staterooms on the other zones, particularly if the problem is happening during overnight hours. Also would be interested to see if the concerns of AC problems are more prevalent at night or during the day. I don't think that most people are going to leave the balcony doors open during the day, thus allowing the AC to function properly. More than likely more people are leaving balcony doors open during to overnight sleeping hours, thereby making the problem worse at night.

But, according to others here, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about because I'm in the same field. So take what I suggest with a grain of salt because I don't know that static pressure and CFM's of air movement make all of the difference in efficiency, or that a residential AC system needs to have roughly 350-300 CFM per ton of cooking across the evaporator to cool properly with a roughly 20 degree delta, and that by adding warm, moist air into the return side will decrease the delta and raise the supply air temperature And cause an adverse effect on cooling capacity.

But keep in mind that commercial and industrial chillers are designed differently but utilize similar principles.

Edited by A2Mich

I complained about the heat one night, they came to our cabin and checked it out, and left. About an hour later it cooled down. I have no idea what caused it, they never contacted us about it. They may have found out it was caused by someone leaving the door open. As long as the problem was solved they didn't need to tell us.

OK so first there would be some percentage of people that complains about their AC not working correctly. Then from that group, there would have to be some percentage of complaints about which ship personnel are willing or able to detect the cause rather than maybe just making some other adjustment to mask the problem. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage that ship personnel are able to detect that the cause is one or more open balcony doors being open. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage in which the complaining passengers are told that open balcony doors are the cause. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage that even knows about cruise critic (or talks about these things with a CC member). Then from that group there would have to be a percentage that is motivated to actually post this information on Cruise Critic.

So bottom line, no, I'm not surprised that we here on CC would never have heard if any ship personnel had determined that open balcony doors were causing AC problems.

Edited by time4u2go

a couple problems with your "expert" opinion.

There is no vacuum as long as your cabin door is shut.

Air can't just stop in your cabin without some kind of a duct shut off. Would be like manually shutting of a floor register in one room of your house. Doing that would actually increase heat or air efficiency to the other registers (rooms) of the house.

I can definitely believe there would be a problem with air in other cabins if the air didn't shut off with balcony open

The air conditioning units in cabins contain fans, those are what shut off when the "Balcony door open" relay is tripped. I am by no means claiming to offer an "expert" opinion, only the opinion of someone with some electronics knowledge whom has opened up all the maintenance panels of a cabin to take a look at things. The balcony door relay is only a disconnect to the fan, no ducts are closed (and no wiring leads out from the relay system to a potential duct to close). Simply stopping a fan does not prevent air backflow into the system and also as mentioned by another poster, there is potential for air flow into a vent (such as the one in the bathroom).

I don't know where you come up with the idea that there is no vacuum effect when the cabin door is closed. The same air that makes the door difficult to open is the same air that is being forced back into the HVAC system. It's not a difficult concept.

The air conditioning units in cabins contain fans, those are what shut off when the "Balcony door open" relay is tripped. I am by no means claiming to offer an "expert" opinion, only the opinion of someone with some electronics knowledge whom has opened up all the maintenance panels of a cabin to take a look at things. The balcony door relay is only a disconnect to the fan, no ducts are closed (and no wiring leads out from the relay system to a potential duct to close). Simply stopping a fan does not prevent air backflow into the system and also as mentioned by another poster, there is potential for air flow into a vent (such as the one in the bathroom).

I don't know where you come up with the idea that there is no vacuum effect when the cabin door is closed. The same air that makes the door difficult to open is the same air that is being forced back into the HVAC system. It's not a difficult concept.

So in our language is it bad to leave the door open or does it have no effect on other cabins. Lol

Perhaps you should read this article from right here on Cruise Critic. Something tells me you still won't believe it because it seems you've convinced yourself it isn't true.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

Pay particular attention to what Mary Schimmelman from Holland America Line said.

and with that, the thread should be ended.

So in our language is it bad to leave the door open or does it have no effect on other cabins. Lol

As mama told us growing up....."Shut the darn door! We're not air conditioning the whole neighborhood!"

Please don't think I'm being stupid but as a Brit we don't have air con. It's never hot enough here..lol. We've been on med cruises numerous times and to be totally honest we turn the air con right down as I can't stand the noise will this affect other cabins as it's never occurred to me that we are being inconsiderate to others. I wish our neighbours in the cabin next to us had kept their door shut as all we heard sitting out on balcony was their TV. But that's another story .

The OP is actually trying to delete this entire thread. She came here for information and ended up with a boxing match.

The problem is this isn't the OP's first rodeo and the answer has been in front of her all along even though she's ignored it in the past (based on her OP).

OK so first there would be some percentage of people that complains about their AC not working correctly. Then from that group, there would have to be some percentage of complaints about which ship personnel are willing or able to detect the cause rather than maybe just making some other adjustment to mask the problem. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage that ship personnel are able to detect that the cause is one or more open balcony doors being open. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage in which the complaining passengers are told that open balcony doors are the cause. Then from that group there would have to be some percentage that even knows about cruise critic (or talks about these things with a CC member). Then from that group there would have to be a percentage that is motivated to actually post this information on Cruise Critic.

So bottom line, no, I'm not surprised that we here on CC would never have heard if any ship personnel had determined that open balcony doors were causing AC problems.

Well then, based on the way people DO complain about every little thing that can happen around here... And considering that no one has come on here and reported that their room was too warm because someone else's balcony door was open... I have no reason to believe that it has any measurable affect on other staterooms at all.

Not that it will change anyones mind, but: What if someone likes it warm, turns their A/C up to 80 and it never comes on in their room. Are you telling me that will affect nearby cabins? I just don't buy the arguement that keeping a balcony door open (keeping A/C off....) will affect cabins nearby:rolleyes: That said, we don't leave ours open often, certainly not at night.

I figured I should stay out of this one, but hey, I'm closing in on 5000 posts!!!

Edited by bouhunter

I have no reason to believe that it has any measurable affect on other staterooms at all.

No reason to believe it at all, huh? After everything that's been posted here, including an article where a cruise line rep says it does, you still "have no reason to believe it?" At this point, you're just being selfish.

Well then, based on the way people DO complain about every little thing that can happen around here... And considering that no one has come on here and reported that their room was too warm because someone else's balcony door was open... I have no reason to believe that it has any measurable affect on other staterooms at all.

Well, at least on the Carnival boards, your assumption has been proven incorrect by a Carnival engineer. Also, I have seen plenty of complaints on CC about warm cabins. I don't expect a cruise line to tell a customer what the corrective action was, only that it has been corrected. You may believe what you wish but your belief is based on a false assumption.

No reason to believe it at all, huh? After everything that's been posted here, including an article where a cruise line rep says it does, you still "have no reason to believe it?" At this point, you're just being selfish.

No I don't think they are being "selfish", just not buying into the cruiseline BS. Do you believe everything the cruiseline tells you without question? They love passengers like that:D That article also mentioned that keeping the doors shut "kept things aerodynamic" or some such thing - #1, give me a break....... #2 - even if it saved .000001% energy, it would be all about saving them money............

Oh wait, there are people here who are convinced that if they do everything possible to save RCCL money it will somehow someday translate to cheaper cruise fares for them......:)

Edited by bouhunter

But you ARE paying the energy bills in your cruise fare! As those bills increase, so will your cruise fare.

I don't think any of us 'pay as you go' w/ meter readings!

If you want to open your door to hear the sounds of the seas, open it!

If you don't want to open it, then don't. There are no hard rules on this and like many of things on a cruise, it's all subjective. There are many that will tell you how you should enjoy your cruise. So much so, it's comical.

I don't think any of us 'pay as you go' w/ meter readings!

If you want to open your door to hear the sounds of the seas, open it!

If you don't want to open it, then don't. There are no hard rules on this and like many of things on a cruise, it's all subjective. There are many that will tell you how you should enjoy your cruise. So much so, it's comical.

Excellent! But you're dealing with a bunch of goody-two-shoes uptight judgmental types around here who live to whine and complain...:cool: