Panama Canal

sailorwife

Only when they do a repositioning cruise. The next one will probably be the Miracle from California to Tampa in January, 2017, but it hasn't been announced yet.

Another possibility is the Splendor back to California from Miami, also January, 2017. This is speculation but the Miracle is pretty much a certainty.

Announcements should be "soon" whatever that means.

Unlike some cruise lines, Carnival does not schedule cruises through the Canal just to go through the Canal. Panama Canal cruises tend to be more costly because of the high tolls per bed charged by Panama. In addition to this, until the current expansion is finished only Fantasy class and Spirit class ships can fit through the current Canal.

As a result, Carnival send ships through only when they are repositioning from one coast to another or across the Pacific or Atlantic oceans. As far as I know none are currently scheduled, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes on E coast repositioning cruises they will go to the canal.

For example on the Pride repositioning cruise this past March we went to Colon and took land tour to Panama City.

It wasn't a full transit was it? Only went through 1 set of locks?

No locks at all. Docked in Colon and we got off and did our tour.

We did the Costa Rica/Panama cruise back in 2008. It was interesting to see the locks & watch a ship go through it, but it would have been nice to be to go through the locks.

We did the Costa Rica/Panama cruise back in 2008. It was interesting to see the locks & watch a ship go through it, but it would have been nice to be to go through the locks.

I hear you but after you go thru one set of locks on a ship think the next few can get a little boring.

Liked that we saw the locks, heard the story and than went on to do other stuff.

Heald had a question of interest in Panama cruises on fb or in his blog last week. Probably just stirring up hits on the web but could be early feedback on where else to go, especially since a lot of their itineraries are getting stale.

Heald had a question of interest in Panama cruises on fb or in his blog last week. Probably just stirring up hits on the web but could be early feedback on where else to go, especially since a lot of their itineraries are getting stale.

I did not see that but would have chimed in if I had. Though I understand the economics of routine visits to Panama and transiting all the canal locks, it would be great if Carnival did cruises to Panama on a more or less regular basis that just did a partial transit (through the Gatun locks and back out to the Caribbean/Atlantic). It would probably have to be an 8-9 day cruise minimum from the East/Gulf coast but I would sure sign up for one.

Edited by joepeka

in march we did the costa rica panama cartagena st marta on the triumph we did a half trip in panama rode a bus to the middle then went to the pacific side threw 2 sets of locks is was pretty cool but once you do one set the next was just the same thing again but seeing the other ships was neet

Edited by breckbird

I did not see that but would have chimed in if I had. Though I understand the economics of routine visits to Panama and transiting all the canal locks, it would be great if Carnival did cruises to Panama on a more or less regular basis that just did a partial transit (through the Gatun locks and back out to the Caribbean/Atlantic). It would probably have to be an 8-9 day cruise minimum from the East/Gulf coast but I would sure sign up for one.

Miracle and Freedom used to do it as a pretty regular run going to GT, Costa Rica and than Panama.

Did it on both and two awesome cruises

Miracle and Freedom used to do it as a pretty regular run going to GT, Costa Rica and than Panama.

Did it on both and two awesome cruises

I suppose your operative words are "used to" which is a shame. :(

Did the Miracle actually go through the Gatun locks into Lake Gatun? I know Freedom could not have (it's too large).

Yelp saw that just a day or two ago. Maybe an announcement will come soon. Can only hope!!

2008 we took The Freedom to Colon , took a bus tour ,stopped at a lock to watch a ship pass through , Then on to Panama City had 4 stops there , ate lunch at the entrance to the canal on The Pacific . Bus back to Colon , It was a nice ride seeing the country and how they travel ,ect

I suppose your operative words are "used to" which is a shame. :(

Did the Miracle actually go through the Gatun locks into Lake Gatun? I know Freedom could not have (it's too large).

Miracle docked in Colon and we got off for our tours. Dont believe Carnival ever goes thru any locks unless they are going thru the canal.

Depends upon when canal third lane is finished and whether they will do more dancing of the ships

The Miracle can go through the current canal but the Splendor would have to use the new one or else go around South America like she did before. The new canal is supposed to be operating by April, 2016 so that would fit with the Splendor's timing for January, 2017. I'd like to take the Splendor going west and then the Miracle coming back east.

The Miracle can go through the current canal but the Splendor would have to use the new one or else go around South America like she did before. The new canal is supposed to be operating by April, 2016 so that would fit with the Splendor's timing for January, 2017. I'd like to take the Splendor going west and then the Miracle coming back east.

We thought about doing the Splendor repositioning a few years ago doing one of the segments around S America.

However relatively few ports mostly sea days so we decided not to.

We would love to transit the canal, definitely a bucket list trip. Starting on the west coat would be great, finishing through the Caribbean to Florida.

True but we have done the canal 3x getting off the ship each time.

Visited Indian village

Tour of Panama City

Tour of area around Colon

Went to two different locks and had time to go thru the museum.

Havent stayed on a ship to go thru it but think we got more out of it this way.