Fort Lauderdale questions for POA1 (or anyone else who cares to answer)

Old As Dirt Mom

Hello POA1 and other Fort Lauderdale experts!

After our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, we are staying at the Lago Mar for about 30 hours, including one overnight. I hope you don't mind if I ask some annoying and tiresome questions, that I could no doubt look up myself. But I do appreciate your time and courtesy in trying to answer me.

1.What are the best directions to give the cab driver from the cruise port to Lago Mar? I have no clue at which terminal we're arriving, sorry. It's the Westerdam, October 14th.

2. Where's a good place to eat dinner?

3. Can you still walk from the Lago Mar to the Entrance Channel to wave at the cruise ships as they depart? I'm assuming so. We last stayed at the Lago Mar more than 8 years ago, and I recall the excitement of waving at all the ships as they left. Hoping to get a photo of the Westerdam, as she departs on her 3-day private charter that evening of October 14th.

That's it. Thanks very much in advance.

Then best place for a lot of this research would be on the Florida Departures board, as it really doesn't have anything to do with HAL.

I doubt you will need to give directions to the cab driver. You just say the name of the hotel, and the street address. Worse case they will punch it into a GPS. You should have some idea- plotting it out on something Google Maps is a good idea for your protection.

What pier? HAL typically comes into Pier 25, 26 and occasionally 21 or 29. You could look up the scheduled terminal, but it really doesn't matter. There will be cabs outside.

Regarding Lago Mar, it is a major resort hotel known by all the Ft Lauderdale taxi drivers. It is also relatively close to the cruise port :). From the port the taxi would simply hop over 17th Street....but they all know the way.

Hank

Then best place for a lot of this research would be on the Florida Departures board, as it really doesn't have anything to do with HAL.

I doubt you will need to give directions to the cab driver. You just say the name of the hotel, and the street address. Worse case they will punch it into a GPS. You should have some idea- plotting it out on something Google Maps is a good idea for your protection.

What pier? HAL typically comes into Pier 25, 26 and occasionally 21 or 29. You could look up the scheduled terminal, but it really doesn't matter. There will be cabs outside.

Nope. Worst case is they will take your the longest route possible at great speeds taking many twists and turns and talking on their phone all the while. You need to know the route so you can let him know you know your way around.;)

You most certainly can walk to the entrance channel from the Lago Mar. I stayed North of the Lago Mar at the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel and was able to walk there. I must say doing so gave me quite a physical work-out. Going with the wind through the sand was a "breeze" (pardon the pun); walking against the wind, well, that was a different story, at least for me.

Nope. Worst case is they will take your the longest route possible at great speeds taking many twists and turns and talking on their phone all the while. You need to know the route so you can let him know you know your way around.;)

Is that ever true! Last time I was there I got the city tour both coming from the airport and to the pier.

Send me an email. My address is in the signature line. I'll send directions to you. Taxis *should* know how to get there, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You can walk down the beach to the channel entrance. It's probably a 5-10 minute walk.

As far as restaurants are concerned, let me know what you like and what you're looking for - casual, fine dining, etc.

Edited by POA1

And that is exactly what the next line after your bolding says....

Edited by CruiserBruce

Is that ever true! Last time I was there I got the city tour both coming from the airport and to the pier.

We've gotten in the habit of always making sure we have directions when we travel. While it bums me out that the cabbies are clueless in my home town, we've had equally bad rides in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Los Angeles, Vancouver, and Philadelphia.

Lest I limit my scope, Mexico City and Rome are also pretty bad. For outright thievery, it's hard to beat Athens.

Best: New York City & Boston. (Just remember to hate/love the Red Sox, Yankees, Jets and Patriots in the proper location. ;) )

I highly recommend the Mustard Seed for dinner or lunch. It's actually in Plantation which is on the west edge of Ft. Lauderdale. We've stayed at hotels in Plantation as well as they are about 8 miles from the cruise port and much less of a price gouge.

2. Where's a good place to eat dinner?

What do you like to eat or are in the mood for?

I would recommend a water taxi tour of Fort Lauderdale waterways, sites, homes, and yachts that you could not see via car. The water taxi has hop on hop off services at over a dozen stops, most at or very close to restaurants, shopping, bars, local hotspots, etc. They give a narrated tour of who owns which home as you motor past.

watertaxi.com

Edited by LMaxwell

Thanks for dining suggestions. We are open to anything, and are looking for a dining experience that is unique to Fort Lauderdale. Appreciate everyone's tips and recommendations.:)

I didn't get your e-mail. You may want to resend:

poa1 -at- instituteofcheer.com

I recommended the Mustard Seed because it is locally owned and operated. They do a huge lunch business - people seem happy to wait - then they switch to fine dining in the evening. We met the husband and wife chef/owners and had such a great lunch that we went back for dinner and it was great. I believe they are closed Sundays, but check their website. We're going back next January when we're there for our next cruise.

Will try again; that is the address I used. However, computers and electronic devices hate me, and the feeling is reciprocated. Thanks for the heads up.

I got that one. Thanks!