Distance from Port to Central Location on the Allure

tonkie

Hi all

I hope the title made sense :) we are due to sail on the Allure next month and as I've been informed that she does not dock at the "normal" docks cause of her size, she docks more at the container dock(I'm I making sense)

So does anybody know what are the distances from where so does dock to the main area at each port of call?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi all

I hope the title made sense :) we are due to sail on the Allure next month and as I've been informed that she does not dock at the "normal" docks cause of her size, she docks more at the container dock(I'm I making sense)

So does anybody know what are the distances from where so does dock to the main area at each port of call?

Thanks in advance for any help

That isn't true at all. The only thing I can think of that they may be talking about is St. Thomas. Allure docks at Crown Bay, which is across the harbor from the main dock (West India, aka Havensight). But it's still not a container dock. It's still a developed cruise ship pier.

Edited by Aquahound

Which ports do you want to know about?

Oops sorry:eek:

All the ones we are going to

Palma

Marseilles

Florence

Rome

Naples

Its just to give us some idea how long it will take from port to the Town/Cites, I know everything is not central, but we have no idea how far to expect to travel away from the docking area

Oh, sorry. Ignore my last post. I'm not sure about the European ports. Although having been to 3 of those...Rome, Naples and Florence (Livorno), the ports are the commercial container ports, so I don't think it would be much different on Allure than other cruise ships.

Edited by Aquahound

Oops sorry:eek:

All the ones we are going to

Palma

Marseilles

Florence

Rome

Naples

Its just to give us some idea how long it will take from port to the Town/Cites, I know everything is not central, but we have no idea how far to expect to travel away from the docking area

The size of Allure has nothing to do with how far it docks. All those ports listed (apart from Naples, where she docks right in the city) are away from the centre of town and require some travelling, whichever ship you are on.

To travel away from the docking area and into the nearest 'town' for each of them is approximately:

Palma - 10-15 minutes by bus into Palma (RC provides a paid shuttle)

Marseille - 20-25 mins by (paid) shuttle into old port

Florence - the dock is La Spezia and it's walking distance into town but almost 2 hours to Florence

Rome - the dock is Civitavecchia - again walking distance to town but around 1.5 hours to Rome

Naples - the ship docks right in the city

Edited by Bobal

The size of Allure has nothing to do with how far it docks. All those ports listed (apart from Naples, where she docks right in the city) are away from the centre of town and require some travelling, whichever ship you are on.

To travel away from the docking area and into the nearest 'town' for each of them is approximately:

Florence - the dock is La Spezia and it's walking distance into town but almost 2 hours to Florence

Rome - the dock is Civitavecchia - again walking distance to town but around 1.5 hours to Rome

Thanks a lot, that's a great help:cool:

Pardon me for asking, but what do you mean by "paid" shuttle in Palma and Marseille. Going on Harmony next year and trying to get an idea for each port. Does RCI pay? Or are you saying you pay RCI and they offer the shuttle?

Pardon me for asking, but what do you mean by "paid" shuttle in Palma and Marseille. Going on Harmony next year and trying to get an idea for each port. Does RCI pay? Or are you saying you pay RCI and they offer the shuttle?

Not sure about the mechanics (which may differ by port) but paid BY the passenger. RCI may add it to your account or it may be collected on the shuttle. I think usually under $5 (or 5 Euro) round trip.

Roy

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.

RCI charge you for a shuttle into Palma and Marseille. I have never known RC offer free shuttles :rolleyes: I mention the shuttles they offer as the easiest method as they will take you from the ship and into a central area of the town. However there are other (cheaper) ways to do it via local buses but these also involve more hassle i.e. they don't pick you up from the ship and they drop you some way from the centre in the case of Marseille.

Can't remember the exact prices but I think the Palma shuttle may have been 5 euros and the Marseille shuttle 15 Euros. We didn't use either as we did our own thing so hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

The La Spezia shuttle is actually a port shuttle which is free and takes you to the main port entrance which is on the edge of town. The same applies to Civitavecchia - free port bus which drops you at the edge of town. These are provided as the ports are big industrial ports and not easy to walk from where the ship docks to the port entrance.

Edited by Bobal

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.

RCI charge you for a shuttle into Palma and Marseille. I have never known RC offer free shuttles :rolleyes: I mention the shuttles they offer as the easiest method as they will take you from the ship and into a central area of the town. However there are other (cheaper) ways to do it via local buses but these also involve more hassle i.e. they don't pick you up from the ship and they drop you some way from the centre in the case of Marseille.

Can't remember the exact prices but I think the Palma shuttle may have been 5 euros and the Marseille shuttle 15 Euros. We didn't use either as we did our own thing so hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

The La Spezia shuttle is actually a port shuttle which is free and takes you to the main port entrance which is on the edge of town. The same applies to Civitavecchia - free port bus which drops you at the edge of town.

Great - thank you for the info as I just begin to plan. There's definitely a lot to consider as this will be my first Mediterranean cruise. Thanks again!

Great - thank you for the info as I just begin to plan. There's definitely a lot to consider as this will be my first Mediterranean cruise. Thanks again!

Glad to help. You can always find lots of info on these boards but if you're looking for advice regarding particular ports you will get better advice on the ports of call boards - just look for the relevant country. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19