Guest onboard while in Port

baronessk

Do we all remember the old movies with the crowds of people onboard steamships? Over the loudspeaker you'd hear "All ashore that's going ashore!!!" and there'd be a mad dash to the gangway.

Pre 911 if you were sailing on a Princess ship you could tour another Princess ship that was in port by showing your sailing card. I don't think this was very well known at the time.

I remember sailing on the old Island Princess (the small one) and while in Juneau went aboard the new Sun or Dawn Princess to have a look. Happened to run into my CD doing the same thing and gave her the answer to that mornings trivia question. Boy did she have a surprised look until she realized I was from her ship lol

Times have changed. One of the things we've lost is being to have guests aboard in port. Heck, we get wanded going to a football stadium in all our gear, looking like normal crazy Americans.

If you get married aboard ship, on the other hand, you can have guests for the wedding who disembark before sailing. They do have to have all the required ID and be checked out beforehand.

When I lived in Melbourne, Australia at the ripe old age of 13. I would head to the P&O office and get a visitor pass for myself. I would spend the entire day on the Oriana or Canberra or whichever P&O vessel was in at the time. I had a blast. Nobody batted an eye. This was in the early 70's. :D

Edited by Colo Cruiser