Suggestions needed for airport to hotel to cruise port....

sassy~one

We just got back a couple days ago and in my opinion, there's not a great way to do this on the cheap other than to go during off-season times when hotels are cheaper. Taxis here are expensive and you'll have to take one to the port no matter what.

We found a decent rate at the embassy suites for about $223 for one night after taxes and fees in August. I have read in more popular months the rates can reach $400 though, and I would never pay that to stay anywhere for under 24 hours. The embassy suites is a nice hotel and they give you free breakfast and all their rooms are suites, with a bedroom and separate living room, with a couch that pulls out, so essentially you can get a room with 2 Queen neds and then have 2 people on the couch bed and save lots of no way by sharing a room. We didn't, but it can be done.

The taxi ride from the airport is less than 5 minutes and costs $10, plus $1 per suitcase. Taxis to and from old san juan for shopping and sightseeing can be from $20-$30. We had a group of 6 and had luggage so on our way back from the cruise it cost a lot of money in cab fare to get from the port to old San juan (we stored our bags at Barrachina restaurant for the day) and then from old San juan to the hotel.

You can rent a car, and we did on our pre-cruise day so that we could visit the rainforest. But when we tried to visit old san juan we gave up after finding it impossible to find parking. You also have to have one person return the car to the airport and take a taxi back to the port because there aren't alternatice car rental drop off places. So unless you are planning to go somewhere far away (like the rainforest which is an hour drive and a $200 cab ride or an $80/person tour), then you're better off just taking taxis even though they're expensive. We didn't do as much on our post-cruise night there because we didn't want to pay for anymore taxis. We would have gone back to old san juan for food and shopping but it wasn't worth paying another $50 or $60 for, so we just stayed in the hotel and kind of wished we'd caught a flight out that night instead of sticking around the extra day and paying for a hotel just to sit around in it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Compared to other big cities or caribbean islands, the taxi fares are not expensive. Try this in NYC or Boston. Much more expensive.

Hotels don't necessarily have to cost $200 - 300 per night.

We are staying at the Tres Palmas Inn, includes breakfast buffet and an oceanview room is $147 including taxes.

You can also take a bus to Old San Juan from your hotel for $ .75 each. The bus takes a little longer but it's much cheaper. We have stayed at hotels for around the $150 range during April, booking through hotwire.

Like with everything else, knowledge is power. Research, research, research!!! There are tons of places to stay in the Isla Verde/Condado/Old San Juan area that won't cost an arm and a leg and might be more centrally located. Buses are cheap if just strolling around town and you know where you're going (research). Taxis are some of the most regulated and organized in the Caribbean. And I'm not saying this just because I live in PR. Prices are by zone and flat rates unless you go somewhere outside those zones and get a metered trip. Prices are NOT per person but per trip (prices include up to 5 persons). A two person, two suitcase trip to/from the airport to/from the port on OSJ is $23 or $11.50 per person. That includes the $19 flat fare, $2 gas charge and $1 per suitcase. Get 5 persons in the same cab it'll still be $19 for the trip.

Want to spend some time in San Juan pre/post cruise? Stay closer or in OSJ. The premium you'll pay for being in the middle of the Old Town would more than likely make of for your taxi trips. You can also walk to the ship from most places in OSJ when boarding time comes.

At the airport when you get your taxi, the taxi "manager" who stands outside the cabs will hand you a piece of paper with explanation of fares & your exact price of fare. When you go from hotel to pier, the driver will again give you a piece of paper with your fare. Same when you take taxi from pier to airport. No negotiation, no surprises.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have become acquainted with a young lady from Connecticut, she will be taking her FIRST cruise and bringing her mom with her. She doesn't know about this site or anything about the tours, etc. Told her she can book the tours without the ship. I told her to join this group, so today I will be talking to her and hopefully get her on here. Her mom is apprehensive about coming a day early and staying. But I think her daughter is going to book them. I told her she would greatly regret it when she arrives. I am going to try to help her with a hotel and I told her there would be many coming early. Not only to see the country but if there were flight issues she could really have problems flying the day of. I also told her not to mention travel sites or the internet site everyone is on, not permitted. You should see her on here later. If anyone can recommend anything, greatly appreciated. There is that beautiful rain forest and for sure to see Old San Juan. We will be looking for a nice hotel where they can access easily. This will be really good ports, want them to enjoy everything!!

Hi, I have become acquainted with a young lady from Connecticut, she will be taking her FIRST cruise and bringing her mom with her. She doesn't know about this site or anything about the tours, etc. Told her she can book the tours without the ship. I told her to join this group, so today I will be talking to her and hopefully get her on here. Her mom is apprehensive about coming a day early and staying. But I think her daughter is going to book them. I told her she would greatly regret it when she arrives. I am going to try to help her with a hotel and I told her there would be many coming early. Not only to see the country but if there were flight issues she could really have problems flying the day of. I also told her not to mention travel sites or the internet site everyone is on, not permitted. You should see her on here later. If anyone can recommend anything, greatly appreciated. There is that beautiful rain forest and for sure to see Old San Juan. We will be looking for a nice hotel where they can access easily. This will be really good ports, want them to enjoy everything!!

Totally recommend going a day early. You never know about flight delays and visiting San Juan is getting another port in your vacation.

We stayed at the Tres Palmas Inn, right on the beach, about 10 min from old San Juan. Great place to relax, and definitely not touristy.

For Old San Juan, I would recommend the Hotel Milano. Owned by the same folks as Tres Palmas Inn. They do treat you right.

They will have a great time in Old San Juan.

If this is her first cruise, I would not recommend booking your own excursions. Best to get familiar with the process and not have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. In San Juan, of course do your own thing.

Edited by t_car
Added content