Miami Intercontinental, Epic, Viceroy, or Mondrian?

SATJS

Hello,

I find that 99.9% of the time I’m able to find answers to my questions with the search button, however, I have come across something that I’m having difficulty with and could use some help. We have scheduled a cruise departing Miami on 5/22/16, and will be taking our then to be 18 year old son and his best friend. I understand that this is still a long way out, but have been researching hotels in the area. We had cruised last year and stayed at the Intercontinental. My son loved the hotel simply because of the view of the bay / port. I felt the hotel was ok, but was less than impressed with Bayside and the area in general. I am currently trying to decide between the Intercontinental again, The Epic, The Viceroy, and the Mondrian in South Beach. All are in the same general price range as of right now for a waterview. I like the idea of the Mondrian being in South Beach since we would end up taking a cab from the hotel to South Beach anyway, but am concerned with the fact that it’s on the opposite side of the island as the beach. Would this be a safe area to walk back from the beach to the hotel after dark? All seem to have good pool areas, and decent views of the bay and port, although I believe the Intercontinental and Mondrian would have the better views? We are planning to arrive 2 days early, but will likely arrive late afternoon or early evening on the first day so will only really have one full day in Miami. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Let's start with the Viceroy, Epic and Intercontinental since they are all around a 10 minute or less walk from one another. I would give the Epic a try. It is a boutique hotel and quite nice with everyone having access to a club like room. It's good to change things up.

I have not stayed at the Mondrian in South Beach so can't comment about the hotel. South Beach can be noisy at night so if you stay there be sure to get a room not on the street side.

Keith

Hello,

I find that 99.9% of the time I’m able to find answers to my questions with the search button, however, I have come across something that I’m having difficulty with and could use some help. We have scheduled a cruise departing Miami on 5/22/16, and will be taking our then to be 18 year old son and his best friend. I understand that this is still a long way out, but have been researching hotels in the area. We had cruised last year and stayed at the Intercontinental. My son loved the hotel simply because of the view of the bay / port. I felt the hotel was ok, but was less than impressed with Bayside and the area in general. I am currently trying to decide between the Intercontinental again, The Epic, The Viceroy, and the Mondrian in South Beach. All are in the same general price range as of right now for a waterview. I like the idea of the Mondrian being in South Beach since we would end up taking a cab from the hotel to South Beach anyway, but am concerned with the fact that it’s on the opposite side of the island as the beach. Would this be a safe area to walk back from the beach to the hotel after dark? All seem to have good pool areas, and decent views of the bay and port, although I believe the Intercontinental and Mondrian would have the better views? We are planning to arrive 2 days early, but will likely arrive late afternoon or early evening on the first day so will only really have one full day in Miami. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Two 18 year old boys? Are you kidding? They'll never forgive you if you don't book The Mondrian in South Beach.

The hotel is GORGEOUS! The pool area is amazing and the sunset will blow your mind! The pool deck is really impressive and yes, so are the views. The rooms are pretty great also except for the creepy girl staring at you on the wall.

The area South of Fifth, where the hotel is located is very safe and very quiet at night however it is a very long walk from the beach to the hotel. Use Uber or a cab.

I am the biggest Viceroy fan on the planet (paging Carolyn! CJSkids!) and it is one of my favorite hotels anywhere especially for its spectacular pool deck on the 18th floor (I think), but in this case, SOUTH BEACH!

FWIW, did you take a look at pricing for the Loews South Beach?

I have not stayed at the Mondrian in South Beach so can't comment about the hotel. South Beach can be noisy at night so if you stay there be sure to get a room not on the street side.

Keith

The Mondrian is South of Fifth on the Biscayne Bay side of South Beach well away from any action. Also, it is a new build so there is no noise at all.

I guess it's South Beach! I hadn't looked at Loews, thought it was further north. The pricing is in the same range, so definitely in the running. Pool area looks great and being right on the beach is a big plus. Leaning towards Loews right now. Thanks for the advise!

Two 18 year old boys? Are you kidding? They'll never forgive you if you don't book The Mondrian in South Beach.

The hotel is GORGEOUS! The pool area is amazing and the sunset will blow your mind! The pool deck is really impressive and yes, so are the views. The rooms are pretty great also except for the creepy girl staring at you on the wall.

The area South of Fifth, where the hotel is located is very safe and very quiet at night however it is a very long walk from the beach to the hotel. Use Uber or a cab.

I am the biggest Viceroy fan on the planet (paging Carolyn! CJSkids!) and it is one of my favorite hotels anywhere especially for its spectacular pool deck on the 18th floor (I think), but in this case, SOUTH BEACH!

FWIW, did you take a look at pricing for the Loews South Beach?

I know you love the Viceroy!! And the pool is spectacular. It will be re-done at some point in the near future, but of now is fantastic!

I agree with the Loews! Great hotel in such a fun area. And one of my girlfriends is a bartender at both Lure and RumLine there so you will get wonderful cocktails!!

I guess it's South Beach! I hadn't looked at Loews, thought it was further north. The pricing is in the same range, so definitely in the running. Pool area looks great and being right on the beach is a big plus. Leaning towards Loews right now. Thanks for the advise!

Book the Loews. It is right in the middle of the best part of South Beach. The boys will think you are a super hero!

I'm convinced, Loew's it is! Thank you so much for the help.

One more question for anybody that may be able to guess, is the rate more likely to go up or down between now and May 20th? That will be the weekend before memorial day weekend. Right now the rate for a city view is $329 per night. If I reserve now they require 1 nights deposit, which is fine, but I'd rather not let them hold on to over $300 of mine for 9 months if it's not necessary...

What we do is book the hotel (I do not do non refundable). More times than none it goes up these days. I keep monitoring and if the price goes down I go for the lower rate and get it and if it goes up than I am protected by having booked early.

Keith

What we do is book the hotel (I do not do non refundable). More times than none it goes up these days. I keep monitoring and if the price goes down I go for the lower rate and get it and if it goes up than I am protected by having booked early.

Keith

I normally do the same thing. In fact, I already have 2 hotels reserved for that time. Loews apparently doesn't allow a reservation without a deposit of 1 night's rate. It is refundable, but would still be charged the full amount now.

I normally do the same thing. In fact, I already have 2 hotels reserved for that time. Loews apparently doesn't allow a reservation without a deposit of 1 night's rate. It is refundable, but would still be charged the full amount now.

That's fine. As long as it is refundable it is a no brainer. Book it and keep watching the rates. If they go down then followup to get the lower rate.

On our last three stays in Miami I booked the hotel close to one year in advance and in all cases it went up. Back in 2009 thru 2012 that was not the case so I just followed up and got the lower price.

Keith

That's fine. As long as it is refundable it is a no brainer. Book it and keep watching the rates. If they go down then followup to get the lower rate.

On our last three stays in Miami I booked the hotel close to one year in advance and in all cases it went up. Back in 2009 thru 2012 that was not the case so I just followed up and got the lower price.

Keith

I agree.

Chances are the price will go up as your dates get closer.

FWIW, that is a good rate.

We just spent several days in South Beach for my husband's birthday and the best local/Florida Resident rate for off season (this time of year) was $299 a night.

Edited by BlueHerons