don't want cabin upgrade, where do I check?

newcruzer2

I know I could simply call princess BUT I have far MORE faith in the CC community than in ANY company THESE days.

I have a cruise booked for next year and have found the perfect (for me) cabin. I have read on other threads about upgrades.

I am certain, there was probably a box to check, while making my princess.com reservation. But I truly don't know weather I made sure during the reservation process, that I am NOT eligible for an upgrade. I have an angled regular balcony and would not want a deluxe balcony or even minisuite. Although some nay-sayers will say WHAT, be happy with an possible upgrade, I defiantly would not be pleased.

I am hoping there is somewhere on princess.com, I can check for myself. As my experience with other cruise lines, has left me with no faith in the 1-800#'s.

Thank for any replys, please if you DO know that I can check online for this, please be specific...as I had to check other threads JUST to know HOW to start this thread LOL (fyi...1st princess cruise, so I can't contact the loyalty program for info) Ty again

You need to be aware that, even if your cabin is marked 'No upgrade', Princess could still upgrade you. It has been known to happen, so I advise you to keep checking regularly.

Thank for that info, I will now know that (unfortunately) is possible. But by knowing this info NOW, I will be prepared and not totally freak out if that were to happen. Ty again

It has been known to happen, so I advise you to keep checking regularly.

If it does happen, call 1-800-PRINCES as soon as you see it change, & tell them you want your cabin back. We did this last year, not wanting the upgrade we had gotten.

There was a brief period of time several years ago when booking online there was an option to not want an upgrade. Even though as you've learned that would not prevent Princess from "upgrading" you, I still do not understand why Princess does not allow passengers to easily select an upgrade option: none, yes or to another type of cabin (not a different category but for example from an oceanview to a balcony) META upgrade.

I've never been involuntarily upgraded to a different cabin & I still continue to check regularly for changes which I also check to discover any flight changes.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It has been known to happen, so I advise you to keep checking regularly.

If it does happen, call 1-800-PRINCES as soon as you see it change, & tell them you want your cabin back. We did this last year, not wanting the upgrade we had gotten.

After the final payment , will I be safe then. Or will I have to check up on it until we leave for FLL and still worry that when I check-in (at the ship that day) SURPRISE the cabin you did a year's worth of checking on , is NOT your cabin anymore BUT 'be happy' you have a sofa (that I don't want. The sofaLess cabin seems to have a better flow, plus I would also hate to change decks)

After the final payment , will I be safe then. Or will I have to check up on it until we leave for FLL and still worry that when I check-in (at the ship that day) SURPRISE the cabin you did a year's worth of checking on , is NOT your cabin anymore BUT 'be happy' you have a sofa (that I don't want. The sofaLess cabin seems to have a better flow, plus I would also hate to change decks)

Changes are most likely to occur after final payment as their reservations computer algorithm uses yield management to maximize income. ;)

Once we opted to accept an upgrade & it was changed when we arrived at the port & not beforehand because I checked up until the day before sailing.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have been telling the booking person at Princess we do not want an upgrade as we've selected a specific location our last few cruises. But I did occasionally check to make sure we didn't get moved after reading that others who have requested "no upgrade" were still moved. Fortunately we haven't been.

I know I could simply call princess BUT I have far MORE faith in the CC community than in ANY company THESE days.

I have a cruise booked for next year and have found the perfect (for me) cabin. I have read on other threads about upgrades.

I am certain, there was probably a box to check, while making my princess.com reservation. But I truly don't know weather I made sure during the reservation process, that I am NOT eligible for an upgrade. I have an angled regular balcony and would not want a deluxe balcony or even minisuite. Although some nay-sayers will say WHAT, be happy with an possible upgrade, I defiantly would not be pleased.

I am hoping there is somewhere on princess.com, I can check for myself. As my experience with other cruise lines, has left me with no faith in the 1-800#'s.

Thank for any replys, please if you DO know that I can check online for this, please be specific...as I had to check other threads JUST to know HOW to start this thread LOL (fyi...1st princess cruise, so I can't contact the loyalty program for info) Ty again

You cannot check a box. And you could have only done that once during the initial booking process on the Princess website when it was available.

This now must be done directly through Princess or your TA.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I've been upgraded without notice twice. Once from a balcony to a far better balcony and once from an inside to a Caribe deck balcony. Both times I was extremely happy.

I've see others post that they were moved from what they considered an ideal cabin to what Princess considered an upgrade. If you jump on it immediately you may get your original cabin back. If you don't check and get "upgraded" to a cabin you don't like you will most likely be stuck with it.

I check my cabin status frequently. :)

Edited by Thrak

Theoretically if you indicate you will accept an upgrade and Princess wants to give you one, they can do so without prior notice.

Theoretically if you indicate you will not accept an upgrade, they will contact you (or your TA if booking is with a TA) before making the cabin change. But if your TA does not notify you in a timely manner, your cabin can be lost.

You need to be aware that, even if your cabin is marked 'No upgrade', Princess could still upgrade you. It has been known to happen, so I advise you to keep checking regularly.

They tried that with us one time and I told them if they upgraded us to a cabin we do not want, that we are cancelling the cruise. They pulled that on us one time and that was the last time.

OP, call Princess and emphatically tell them no upgrade. Get the persons name you talked to, and have him/her send you a confirmation via email. Get everything in writing. Don't wait to get to the ship and you get a nasty surprise.

My TA couldn't mark the booking No Upgrade, but said as I'm in the highest level Handicapped accommodation-Window Suite on the Golden Princess-I will not be moved as it's noted I am Handicapped. A move for me, would be a definite downgrade in physical access to the bathroom, so I'm safe.

"Rueful laugh" it's about the ONLY time being Handicapped has been useful!

My TA confirmed with me the Final Payment date, and explained when the Cruise Documents would be prepared. I'll have them a calendar month before the cruise, 3 weeks before I leave home. She checked, and I seem to have an extra $13 of On Board Credit. I knew I would get AUD$55 On Board Credit for my earlier cancelled cruise, not sure if it's because I booked a Window Suite or not. It's nearly enough to buy me a Cocktail! :D

My TA couldn't mark the booking No Upgrade, but said as I'm in the highest level Handicapped accommodation-Window Suite on the Golden Princess-I will not be moved as it's noted I am Handicapped. A move for me, would be a definite downgrade in physical access to the bathroom, so I'm safe.

Its not the TA that marks it, its Princess. Why would they not be able to mark your booking? That doesn't make sense. :confused:

There have been comments before from passengers that were moved/upgraded from their accessible cabin to a non accessible one, they were not happy. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I've see others post that they were moved from what they considered an ideal cabin to what Princess considered an upgrade. If you jump on it immediately you may get your original cabin back. If you don't check and get "upgraded" to a cabin you don't like you will most likely be stuck with it.

I check my cabin status frequently. :)

I have marked my reservation "Do Not Upgrade" for the reason you mentioned...we are in what is, for us, a perfect cabin, and don't wish to be moved. I was afraid that what would technically be an upgrade (from an aft Dolphin Vista suite to a mid-ship PH suite) would be a downgrade for us because of the loss of the aft view and the huge balcony. Since the balcony is far more important to us than the square footage in the cabin we marked our reservation.

Theoretically if you indicate you will not accept an upgrade, they will contact you (or your TA if booking is with a TA) before making the cabin change. But if your TA does not notify you in a timely manner, your cabin can be lost.

Even though my booking is marked, I still try to check every few days. Thanks for the reminder!:)

After the final payment , will I be safe then. Or will I have to check up on it until we leave for FLL and still worry

Changes can happen anytime. We got upgraded on Emerald two days before sailing (luckily we loved it!) Keep checking as often as you like and if it does happen call ASAP.

Good luck & good cruising, Steve

OP, call Princess and emphatically tell them no upgrade. Get the persons name you talked to, and have him/her send you a confirmation via email. Get everything in writing. Don't wait to get to the ship and you get a nasty surprise.

GREAT advice about the email and in writing, :) TY