To Live Thread or Not to Live Thread ?

kazu

You have me curious.... where are these live feeds? Does anyone have URL examples?

Typically I just look for webcams for live content around the world, this sounds interesting.

Hopefully these are not facebook posts, instagrams, and tweets about their meal and how they feel afterwards.

Do a search right here on HAL/CC.

You are looking for threads with "Live From" in the title.

They post as regular threads like this and all others but they do it while on their cruise and contribute as much or as little as they want day to day.

You have me curious.... where are these live feeds? Does anyone have URL examples?

Typically I just look for webcams for live content around the world, this sounds interesting.

Hopefully these are not facebook posts, instagrams, and tweets about their meal and how they feel afterwards.

Here are three of mine from 2014:

CSI: NA Reloaded (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/30 to 12/14/14)

and

Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

and

Kinda "Live From" - CSI: NA (Nieuw Amsterdam, 11/16-11/23/2014

No TweetySpaceBookGram posts, but even if there were, I always appreciate when someone chooses to let me in on their vacation. I also enjoy reading people's reviews.

I'll probably do a hybrid "Live From" with the core content elsewhere, but still answering questions here on CruiseCritic. (I may do the Q&A on my site as well, but I'm leaning toward Cruise Critic.)

Reasoning here:

http://www.instituteofcheer.com/live-from-threads-yes-no/

I really don't mind running down random information, checking on people's relatives ;), or other scavenger hunt tasks.

Excellent! A good read - and thank you.

IMO….there are no RULES… BUT, so often someone will state "LIVE, from THE XXXX" and after about three posts….not another word….lost…gone forever. I think when one states "LIVE" that YES…..post SOMETHING every day unless unforeseen circumstances. If one can't keep the commitment, don't do a "LIVE" and just write a review at your own leisure.

Anyone who wants to do a live thread should be cheered. Regardless of the quantity or quality, it's a service and the poster is taking time and money to provide it.

If a style or posting pattern doesn't meet a CC member's desires, that member can simply skip the thread and let others enjoy. :)

IMO….there are no RULES… BUT, so often someone will state "LIVE, from THE XXXX" and after about three posts….not another word….lost…gone forever. I think when one states "LIVE" that YES…..post SOMETHING every day unless unforeseen circumstances. If one can't keep the commitment, don't do a "LIVE" and just write a review at your own leisure.

thank you. Now people know why I have concerns.

That's a commitment that cannot be kept all the time.

I couldn't keep up on my last live thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193855

Take a look lots of post and lots of views but I did NOT post every day.

And now you know why I am hesitating about doing another live thread.

I have voluntary commitments with the Future Cruise Listing and Bon Voyage threads. I look upon live threads of sharing the joy of your travels and while I post pretty regularly, I don't post every day , although I do post most days.

It's definitely easier to keep up if you are fortunate enough to have multiple people posting on the same cruise. That's what happened on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises last year. There were quite a few CC members on that cruise who posted, which really helped keep things moving.

I doubt that anyone starts a live thread with the intention of bailing out after a few posts. Sometimes people have computer or connectivity issues. Other times they're having too much fun to keep posting. Sometimes they just get a stern look and rolling eyes from their spouse.

If someone starts a live thread and it peters out, it will slip to page 2, then page 3.... It's a self-correcting problem.

thank you. Now people know why I have concerns.

That's a commitment that cannot be kept all the time.

I couldn't keep up on my last live thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193855

Take a look lots of post and lots of views but I did NOT post every day.

And now you know why I am hesitating about doing another live thread.

I have voluntary commitments with the Future Cruise Listing and Bon Voyage threads. I look upon live threads of sharing the joy of your travels and while I post pretty regularly, I don't post every day , although I do post most days.

There's overwhelming support here for live posters doing what they can, when they can. Don't let someone with a demand for a commitment (!) from the poster put you off. If you have to stop part way through, then we'll have benefitted from whatever posts you've so kindly made.

There's overwhelming support here for live posters doing what they can, when they can. Don't let someone with a demand for a commitment (!) from the poster put you off. If you have to stop part way through, then we'll have benefitted from whatever posts you've so kindly made.

I agree, but I can also see the point being made by the people who want regular posts. Sometimes it's like sitting down for a nice dinner; getting the amuse bouche, an appetizer - and then finding out the restaurant is closing before you get the rest of your meal. It can be disappointing.

Edited by POA1

I have participated in three "Live" threads but they have all been ones where a number of people from our roll call also post. Not everyone posts every day but usually at least one person does (Internet permitting). It is interesting to read other's take on a cruise since everyone has different experiences.

Thanks to everyone who writes posts for a live thread. I always look forward to reading them.

And I also know you would never see a fellow CCer left high and dry without a bottle opener. What a guy!!

Thanks. Did you get a chance to try the humidity control hairspray this summer? (Technically, this is Live From related because we talked about it on a Live From thread last year. :) )

Also, I can arrange another bottle opener / corkscrew for you next May. It'll be an annual thing.

I agree, but I can also see the point being made by the people who want regular posts. Sometimes it's like sitting down for a nice dinner; getting the amuse bouche, an appetizer - and then finding out the restaurant is closing before you get the rest of your meal. It can be disappointing.

The difference being that you are expected to pay for your dinner. A "Live from ..." thread is a gift. People have no business complaining about a gift.

I used to do "Live from ..." threads, and got a lot out of it. I found I was paying more attention to the details of my cruise, and shore excursions, simply because I knew I was going to be posting about it later.

Because I was taking notes, writing up the post, then typing the post into CC, I was able to relive everything a few times, using several senses, and now tend to remember those cruises better than later ones.

But all that changed when there was one cruise where it seemed everyone and his cousin became demanding, instead of appreciative.

MY cruise. MY time. MY money to purchase the Internet (at about 1/2 hour per day to post), and it was work.

No thanks.

Whoever does a report, either from a ship or afterwards, is going out of their way to share with others. How they do that is up tp them.

If I don't like the way they post, I am not forced to read it. Just move along to another thread.

Thanks for asking, Jacqui.

thanks Ruth. it totally understand and glad it's not just me.

many thanks

t

t

I've always seen the "live from" threads to be just that, someone who is posting a real time comment about their cruise whilst being on board a cruise ship on the water. I have seen a few that are really day by day logs of the cruise but most of the time it's a spot news item sorta like a news at 11 comment by a reporter reporting on an incident "live from" the scene.

Considering the very high cost of internet access on board ship. I would think that it's a bit excessive to expect someone to provide a daily report.

For that reason I agree with POA1, Ruth and Kazu.

Edited by Sow There

Thanks. Did you get a chance to try the humidity control hairspray this summer? (Technically, this is Live From related because we talked about it on a Live From thread last year. :) )

Also, I can arrange another bottle opener / corkscrew for you next May. It'll be an annual thing.

Yes, I did try the hairspray. It definitely helps with the fog head problem.

I have the bottle opener saved in the bin I use for stuff that absolutely must be packed for every cruise. We won't leave home without it. :D.

If you stay on for the second week next May we will certainly look forward to seeing you both again.

Please continue to post. One of your live threads made me re-think a port I was going to skip. Keep it up whenever you can.

that's good to hear that the reporting helped you with a port :) sometimes the ones that sound the least promising can hold very nice surprises :)

<snip>

I agree with Fouremco, and am happy with whatever the OP of a Live From thread chooses to do. As far as I'm concerned, it is their money and their time, they can darn well do the live thread however they choose. (Although I will say, I did appreciate the concern expressed by other posters when I was delayed a bit with one of my updates!)

thanks so much.

I've read a wide variety of live threads, some with extensive daily reporting and wonderful photos while others have offered a more meagre fare but have still been interesting.

Bottom line for me is that whatever the poster is willing and able to provide I will appreciate. There's no need to try to impose formats or to establish rules beyond existing CC policies. If someone starts a live thread and stops part way through the cruise, so what? It's not as if I've paid for the thread and want my money's worth. It's THEIR thread and THEIR time and money to post, and if something comes along and prevents them from continuing or from posting with the same frequency, so what? I may miss the thread if it was well written and informative, but I'm certainly not going to be critical of the poster.

So please, let's not place unnecessary demands on those who volunteer their time and money to provide these interesting and informative live threads.

Hear, Hear!

I hope you will do a live thread, kazu. I prefer to read live threads, don't know why they are so much more fun than after cruise reviews. I am amazed at people who will do them for a whole world cruise or more. Posting photos using slow ship internet takes dedication.

My live threads are a way of keeping a travel journal. Once home I edit my posts, correct spelling and grammar to the best of my abilities, and add personal details and name names like I would not do on a public forum. Not sure I will continue the practice, I like my old hand written journals better. I ignore questions I don't feel like answering. I am not about to find out if a dining room steward is still aboard or how obstructed the view is from a certain cabin, not that anyone has asked. Yet.

I've always seen the "live from" threads to be just that, someone who is posting a real time comment about their cruise whilst being on board a cruise ship on the water. I have seen a few that are really day by day logs of the cruise but most of the time it's a spot news item sorta like a news at 11 comment by a reporter reporting on an incident "live from" the scene.

Considering the very high cost of internet access on board ship. I would think that it's a bit excessive to expect someone to provide a daily report.

For that reason I agree with POA1, Ruth and Kazu.

I hope you will do a live thread, kazu. I prefer to read live threads, don't know why they are so much more fun than after cruise reviews. I am amazed at people who will do them for a whole world cruise or more. Posting photos using slow ship internet takes dedication.

My live threads are a way of keeping a travel journal. Once home I edit my posts, correct spelling and grammar to the best of my abilities, and add personal details and name names like I would not do on a public forum. Not sure I will continue the practice, I like my old hand written journals better. I ignore questions I don't feel like answering. I am not about to find out if a dining room steward is still aboard or how obstructed the view is from a certain cabin, not that anyone has asked. Yet.

Thank you both and thank you to everyone for their feedback. It's very helpful and very appreciated.

I was already leery as my next cruise is on Oceania and not HAL and then more concerned with some comments about the necessity of daily reports.

Thanks so much for the encouragement as well :)

Hope you decide to go ahead with your "live from". It really doesn't have to be everyday, especially on your busy port days. Just throw us a few crumbs when you have time:)

I haven't long finished reading your Panama thread and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Seems you had a great time.

Hope you decide to go ahead with your "live from". It really doesn't have to be everyday, especially on your busy port days. Just throw us a few crumbs when you have time:)

I haven't long finished reading your Panama thread and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. Seems you had a great time.

How could you not have a good time with the "Sail a Way Gang" on board? ;)

I have always had such great roll calls - I consider myself very lucky.

thank you too for the very kind words. It was the contributions of everyone that made it great :)

How could you not have a good time with the "Sail a Way Gang" on board? ;)

I have always had such great roll calls - I consider myself very lucky.

thank you too for the very kind words. It was the contributions of everyone that made it great :)

I for one thoroughly enjoyed participating in you live thread and would jump at the chance to do the same again. I'm the sort of person who gets so wrapped up in having fun that I'd forget to keep up the posts if I started the thread myself. But to be part of the communal effort was also part of the fun this last time.

Keep doing the 'live' threads Jacqui. We love them and whatever the frequency of posting we'll all be enjoying coming along with you. 😀😀