Assault on Indy. Adult guest assaults child guest

That story sure took a left turn in the tenth paragraph :confused:

And they've apparently changed the definition of a "beating" since I was younger.

Edited by gcvt

I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to this, but what was the 13 year old boy doing in the library at 2am??? Isn't t 1am he curfew for everyone under 18?

(Not that this is the point of the article or story - but the situation may have been avoided if the 13 year old had been where he was supposed to be.)

Though - as a parent of a little girl, I understand the impulse.

The article didn't say how old the girl was, but why weren't all those kids in their cabins? Where were the parents that they let these kids out after curfew? Just because you're on a cruise ship, doesn't mean parents can let their kids run wild - they need to be held accountable too. The uncle was definitely out of control. But the parents of the other kids should have been hauled in front of the judge and reprimanded. I guess I've worked in the legal field too long and seen too much.

The article didn't say how old the girl was, but why weren't all those kids in their cabins? Where were the parents that they let these kids out after curfew? Just because you're on a cruise ship, doesn't mean parents can let their kids run wild - they need to be held accountable too. The uncle was definitely out of control. But the parents of the other kids should have been hauled in front of the judge and reprimanded. I guess I've worked in the legal field too long and seen too much.

The boy was out without an adult when the uncle assaulted him (since I can't imagine that any adult who was with the boy would have just stood by idly during the confrontation) but the article did not say when the "remark" incident actually happened on Thursday. It does not sound like the girl was there when the uncle confronted the boy at 2am since the article only mentions the girl's father.

Edited by Sarasa

I'm finding it difficult to have any sympathy for the 13 year old. Uncle is being dealt with appropriately, he went too far, but the little fecker now knows there are consequences to everyone's actions.

Just sad all the way around.

Parents (of the boy) who we have to assume are not aware, or are apathetic, about their child and his behavior and whereabouts.

A boy without any sense of respect for young ladies.

A boy who also has no awareness of what can happen in the world, when you insult the wrong person.

A grown man who can't figure out how to deal with a disrespectful boy.

A second adult who watched it happen and didn't emphatically stop it.

Overreaction by both the uncle and the police for all those ridiculous charges piled one on top of the other.

I know it seems that way, but when the uncle decided to remove pants, he crossed into a very different part of the [edit] legal code. Those actions made it necessary to charge him under a more serious offense because he restrained the boy with one of the 5 underlying acts that makes his actions a first degree felony. [Edit] From what I see in the Florida code.

"3. Lewd or lascivious battery, lewd or lascivious molestation, lewd or lascivious conduct, or lewd or lascivious exhibition, in violation of s. 800.04 or s. 847.0135(5);"

I would think under the circumstances he would plead to a lesser offense.

Edited by Domino D

Overreaction by both the uncle and the police for all those ridiculous charges piled one on top of the other.

Overreaction by the police??? No sympathy for the little brat but exactly what criminal charge doesn't fit the act? Besides, by the time the lawyers get finished playing lets make a deal, the cops will be lucky if it's not bargained down to littering.

Sister of 3 brothers, mother of a boy, friend to many boys and men....having a hard time understanding how a dumb question leads to people assaulting him.

In 8th grade we were doing a group project and I happened to be the only girl. I hosted the one at-home meeting we had, and as one of the dorky boys got there he said something rude and crude and somewhat along the same lines of what this boy said.

I said "ew, gross" and we went on with our schoolwork. The boy spent the whole time turning fun shades of red because he was so embarrassed by what he said.

SO GLAD my stepdad wasn't there to overreact to *words* said by a doofy child.

Sister of 3 brothers, mother of a boy, friend to many boys and men....having a hard time understanding how a dumb question leads to people assaulting him.

In 8th grade we were doing a group project and I happened to be the only girl. I hosted the one at-home meeting we had, and as one of the dorky boys got there he said something rude and crude and somewhat along the same lines of what this boy said.

I said "ew, gross" and we went on with our schoolwork. The boy spent the whole time turning fun shades of red because he was so embarrassed by what he said.

SO GLAD my stepdad wasn't there to overreact to *words* said by a doofy child.

Agreed

Brother of three sisters , father of 2 daughters and friend of many women .

The assault of a minor by grown man , and the pulling down of pants bothers me way more than the dopey remark by a teenage boy

I just want tape of the trip home to Ohio with the Fiancé. Oh that had to be just a grand time for him.

Sad situation that should have never happened. At least no injuries happened in the end.

JoeRum

I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to this, but what was the 13 year old boy doing in the library at 2am??? Isn't t 1am he curfew for everyone under 18?

(Not that this is the point of the article or story - but the situation may have been avoided if the 13 year old had been where he was supposed to be.)

Though - as a parent of a little girl, I understand the impulse.

I thought that too, but then it's not hard to figure out... boy and girl are at one of the teen events before curfew. Boy asks girl then inappropriate question, which she turns down. (IMO, it should have stopped there).

Boy & girl leave event separately and go to the cabins. Girl tells parents/uncle what happened. Adults have girl call boy and say "let's do this, meet me in the library at 2am". Boy sneaks out of his cabin, goes to the library where he's meets the dad and uncle instead of the girl.

Was what the boy said inappropriate? Yes. But he's a 13 year old boy and is still learning what to say/how to act around girls.

Should the boy have been out after curfew? No. But again, he's a 13 year old boy.

Neither one of those things are forgiven and if it was my son, he'd be with me the rest of the trip. But to excuse the girl's uncle for ANY of what he did is totally wrong.

I thought that too, but then it's not hard to figure out... boy and girl are at one of the teen events before curfew. Boy asks girl then inappropriate question, which she turns down. (IMO, it should have stopped there).

Boy & girl leave event separately and go to the cabins. Girl tells parents/uncle what happened. Adults have girl call boy and say "let's do this, meet me in the library at 2am". Boy sneaks out of his cabin, goes to the library where he's meets the dad and uncle instead of the girl.

Was what the boy said inappropriate? Yes. But he's a 13 year old boy and is still learning what to say/how to act around girls.

Should the boy have been out after curfew? No. But again, he's a 13 year old boy.

Neither one of those things are forgiven and if it was my son, he'd be with me the rest of the trip. But to excuse the girl's uncle for ANY of what he did is totally wrong.

Alternative scenario, just as likely (or unlikely). The bits in italics are known from the report.

Thursday: The girl is 8 years old, hanging around with an older cousin in a group ranging in age. Boy is inappropriate, girl doesn't know what's going on, older cousin tells parents. Girl's father makes the boy apologise. Everyone thinks that's the end of that.

Sunday, 2am:

3 days later, boy is hanging around library at 2am, after curfew. Father and uncle pass, boy starts mouthing off. Given what comes next, and given the mouths on some 13 year olds these days, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he talks about raping the daughter or some such. (For those of you with teenage sons who play online games, check the chat logs some time and see how often rape threats are casually thrown around). Uncle responds along the lines of "how would you like it?".

I seriously doubt that the adults concocted some bizarre revenge scheme for 3 days after the original issue, particularly as the boy had "apologised". I think it's far more likely the boy provoked the second encounter.

Either way, uncle took it too far, and is now facing the legal consequences. I still hope the 13 year old gets a kick up the ass and learns some manners.

Agreed.

In this case, it sounds like the typical Latin male machismo .. and maybe a little bit of the typical crazy that comes along with that whole mentality .. that would make this fool go after some dumb 13 yr old boy ... and lets not even go there about what role this "innocent" little niece of his might have had in the events leading up to this ... :rolleyes:

Really? You're going to blame this on a cultural *machismo? And you're s//t shaming the girl (presumably also Latina) who probably wasn't even there? Way to place the race card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? You're going to blame this on a cultural *machismo? And you're s//t shaming the girl (presumably also Latina) who probably wasn't even there? Way to place the race card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How ignorant some people are, sad.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: