Hurricane Danny

Once on the ship you're fine! :)

The big problem is if it hits your embarkation port which causes big problems getting to and/or returning from the cruise. :(

LuLu

We were sailing on the Freedom during Hurricane Sandy and fortunately we were far enough North that the port was not closed. They closed Miami and Fort Lauderdale and the ships could not get back in for, I believe, two days past the day they were to dock. :eek:

Edited by Charger2008

Can't. Have to cruise from an east coast port in Florida. I incorporate a visit with my 90 year old mother and a cruise. Next year I am doing a TA without DH which still crosses Atlantic and still be a risk but not as concerned.

One reason I cruise are for the ports and have been very disappointed when our port of calls ended up being PC Nassau and Bahamas instead of Tortula St Thomas and San Juan. The ports we went to were slammed with hurricane francis the next day.

Bring a few warm clothes. I hear nights can get chilly on the New England-Canada itinerary this time of year. :eek::D

ha ha - we leave Sunday on the Freedom. I do recall a cruise that was diverted to New England. Was it a Bermuda cruise? In any case, and on a positive note, I can finally get some good lobster!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Going for my first cruise ever on Freedom Aug 30. Don't really care where the ship sails, as long as I'm onboard 😊

I have two diving trips booked through Royal, but thats not the reason I'm willing to spend three days getting me to Port Canaveral and back. I want the cruise, everything else is extra.

Edited by hukoli

In 37 days, the storm will be gone. If it affects any of your ports, they will re-route you. No worries! There's nothing you can do about it....but I do understand your anxiety. I think rainy weather on a cruise is awful! I also think rain on a beach vacation sucks!!!

It wouldn't be as awful if all the solariums were covered, like the Radiance Class! But for some reason, I don't think you like them... ;)

We were sailing on the Freedom during Hurricane Sandy and fortunately we were far enough North that the port was not closed. They closed Miami and Fort Lauderdale and the ships could not get back in for, I believe, two days past the day they were to dock. :eek:

I remember that too. It was at least one or two days and totally screwed those going on the next sailing.

LuLu

So now that they have upgraded Danny to a hurricane and it's projected path is heading toward many of the ports RCI goes to, I am a bit anxious about my cruise in 37 days and hurricanes since two of my past cruises have been ruined by hurricanes.

Any one leaving this weekend and gotten any emails about itinerary changes?

Hopefully the storm will just fizzle.

Yes we leave this weekend. No emails about any port changes. And we really don't care where they take us. We will go with the flow and enjoy the adventure! :)

Going on my first cruise this weekend. Leaving on Saturday on the Getaway, Eastern Caribbean.

What are the chances the ship going to a different port? Should I be concerned with anything.

Edited by KyroKip

Going on my first cruise this weekend. Leaving on Saturday on the Getaway, Eastern Caribbean.

What are the chances the ship going to a different port? Should I be concerned with anything.

I wouldn't be concerned. The Captain will do everything he/she can to keep the ship safe.

I was on the Allure of the Seas during Hurricane Sandy, then flew over Sandy and that was not fun. When we got into the Atlantic the waves were pretty high. We looked outside and could see a ship then a wave would come up and you could not see the ship I think we were on the 10th deck.

I am leaving Saturday for Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico on the Adventure. I'm not even that concerned about the hurricane, maybe just some port changes. Give me a piña and I'll be fine with anything a hurricane throws at me :cool:

In the spring of 1950, the Contessa was returning to New Orleans, and the ship did skirt the eye. (whew) As you can see this is a small ship, cargo and passenger, two banana stalks were hanging aft, and they were swinging from side to side. Sandwiches were offered in the "MDR" some did eat them. My trousers, hanging on a hook were swaying also, Maybe 25-30 degrees. I was much younger and had a blast.

Yep. I've experienced more hurricanes up here, including one that financially destroyed me, than my Mom who has been living in Florida for the last 9 years........

Yea she was lucky and moved here after 2004.

My clients received an email about an itinerary change for the cruise leaving 8/22 on Adventure of the seas

leave San Juan 8pm

St Maarten 8a-5p

Cruise

Aruba 8a-11p

Bonaire 8a-6p

Cruise

St Thomas 8a-6p

San Juan 6am

Should have been the following

Leave San Juan 8:30p

St Maarten 9a-7p

St Kitts 8a-7p

Antigua 7a-6p

St Lucia 8a-5p

Barbados 7a-5p

Cruise

San Juan 6am

Quite a change due to the hurrican

two banana stalks were hanging aft, and they were swinging from side to side. . My trousers, hanging on a hook were swaying also

Of course, I should have stated "appeared to be" :-)

My husband and I were on a cruise during hurricane Ivan in 2004. We had a rough day at sea while the captain sailed us through the worst of it (30 foot swells) but it wasn't too bad. Our itinerary changed from key west, grand cayman, and Cozumel, to Belize, costa maya, and Cozumel. I was sad to miss grand cayman and key west but Belize was a wonderful experience.