Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Hi One and All........it's been a lovely Christmas here with all the family together, our local river pub gave us a great festive luncheon and it was so lovely to be able to chill and chat. The garden of the said pub is under water today following heavy rain last night and one local village on the banks of the River Dee is more or less marooned....but only roads blocked.

It's been a bah humbug day....I've taken down the main tree and my lounge is more or less back to normal...l do have a smaller tree in the dining room which will remain until next weekend......glad to see Spins cruise counter at 105 days until we join the Spirit...[emoji16]

Barcelona sounds lovely JP...so nice to be able to dine Al fresco! Mark...our pigs in blankets are Chipolata sausages wrapped in bacon...the ones in pastry we just call sausage rolls.

Hope the excitement continues to build up for you Mysty.....not long now..!!

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sophia.... The excitement does continue to build! I am awake most mornings now at 5:30 am. Pitch black outside. We are at 9 days and counting today.

So glad to hear your luncheon went well and you had a lovely Christmas! :)

Lovely to hear all the news .... and to see previews of JP and Chris's trip to B. Looking forward to the piccies. Don't hold back JP!

Nice and quiet here.

Been eating the stuffed chicken cock (this is the finished piccy of said stuffed bird which was wonderful and a last minute purchase) and making supper cold plates for wifey each night which she likes with wonderful Wasa crispbread. Drinking lot's of Bredon (now half price at Waitrose if anyone is interested in the UK) and also making and eating my traditional christmas pudding icecream with brandy and Madagascan vanilla and 90% Lindt Cocoa choc sprinkles.

Jeff

DD5B822C-78D2-49A7-B84F-BDB37341E86B.jpg

BA140E00-A547-40E1-9316-131D0F25917C.jpg

1B0D28EA-A069-4ABE-9BCE-73C49E0DBEA9_1.jpg

AC1A285F-0DA7-4010-B6C4-E80D55FBA3CF.jpg

D43C634F-E7A2-4141-81FF-E09B219A6469.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Sophia,

I think it's a Dutch, or American Dutch, thing. If you google Dutch pigs in a blanket, you'll get lots of recipes for what you'd call sausage rolls.

For most of the US, pigs in the blanket would be smoky links wrapped in either bacon or crescent roll.

Mark, thank you for that, l did Google it and can see what you mean.

Lovely food offerings as usual Jeffers....charcuterie looks delicious as does the ice cream!

Quiet day yet again....left overs for lunch...never thought I'd get sick of smoked salmon but it needs to be used up! [emoji6]

Sophia [emoji4]

Seasons Greetings everyone! I have been around - just lurking as usual and loving all the pix of various things. It seems to have been busy since we returned early Nov from the cruise on the (comparatively) huge ship - will be glad to get back to SS and Crystal. I think hubs enjoyed it more than I did. I have to say the food in our restaurant was excellent despite reviews to the contrary and the private deck and bar areas were lovely - just the rest of the ship seemed to have too many folks for my liking.

The house/garden have taken up a load of time since we got back - who would have thought I would still be mowing the grass at the beginning of December and also weeding! Now something seems to be eating all my newly sprouted daffodils - methinks a rabbit - oh the joys..........

Enjoying browsing the sales to find some new outfits for our trip on the Whisper in June - about time we booked another one I think - I do like to always have one cruise in hand!

Mary

Season's Greetings Mary! So good to see you in the Cooler! Have a wonderful New Year!

Ditto Mary, and Happy New Year to everyone. We did manage to get up to Cumbria, and had 3 lovely days with son and wife, visiting Cockermouth where things actually looked fine apart from the uncrossable bridge and the hotel which was again closed and flooded, poor things, as it had been last time.

Christmas dinner was lovely goose with pickled pears and many different veg, including parsnip with a parmesan coating, delicious. Journey back took over 5 hours instead of 3 and a half; our road infrastructure just not up to the amount of cars at busy times. The main Lake District roads were all open, but they are expecting yet more rain. The weather in parts of the US seems to have been just as awful in different ways; are we really having climate change, and if so do they know how to prepare for what may happen?

Barcelona picture great, jp, and lovely weather too. Look forward to more details when you get back.

Now is the time to book a cruise for the spring, to have something to look forward to in the horrid dark months of Jan. and Feb. I definitely nowadays suffer from SAD; do any others of you? Maybe part of the passing years; I also feel the cold a lot, in spite of being reasonably 'well upholstered'.

Enough moaning, onwards and upwards, it will soon be daffodil time.

A peaceful and Happy New Year to all coolers,

Lola

Some of you may have read my recent reports from the Cloud, sailing down the west coast of Africa. That was just a fairly cheap quickie before Christmas. After a week in Rome this month we are flying to Havana for three nights, then flying to the Cayman Islands for three nights, then this cruise -

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/693/caribbean-island-odyssey/itinerary/?search_url_id=59

followed by a week at a resort in Antigua. Anything to escape the British winter, although it has been exceptionally mild so far and in our part of the country relatively dry and blessedly flood-free.

Edited by Fletcher

SAD responds to the light box, or other light designed to treat it.

Our weather in Florida is hot and muggy. I dream of cloudy and cold and dreary.

The sun is parching everything. Not sure if it's climate change or El Niño.

Weather prognosticators are saying our home, which is 7 miles inland, will be water front property at some point in the future.

House is quiet without small child. number two dog still moping over loss of Brom and now her short playmate has disappeared as well.

Daniel arrived with a small roll aboard and we packed all of his loot in a huge suitcase taller than he for the return trip. I am told Santa also left him presents at his home. Quite a haul.

Upcoming cruises sound wonderful for all who are fortunate enough to travel, how lucky we are!

New year approaches quietly, on cat like feet, in a stealthy,forward, determined fashion but perhaps ready to pounce. What will 2016 bring?

Some of you may have read my recent reports from the Cloud, sailing down the west coast of Africa. That was just a fairly cheap quickie before Christmas. After a week in Rome this month we are flying to Havana for three nights, then flying to the Cayman Islands for three nights, then this cruise -

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/693/caribbean-island-odyssey/itinerary/?search_url_id=59

followed by a week at a resort in Antigua. Anything to escape the British winter, although it has been exceptionally mild so far and in our part of the country relatively dry and blessedly flood-free.

Appreciate all of these updates, pictures, details, food visuals, greetings, etc., etc. Keep it coming. Especially thought Mark's band in wooden shoes was special and very different.

Having read all of the Africa and Silver Cloud postings from Fletcher, this upcoming Caribbean/Cuba cruise and visits does sound very interesting and unique. Hopefully you will share and post more here at the Cooler. Always like the excellent writing skills from Fletcher. Glad to hear that in your part of the UK that things are mild and fairly dry.

Looking forward to more pictures and details from JP and Chris. Know that they have super busy with Barcelona. So much history, beauty, charm, good food, etc., there to enjoy and experience.

Very rainy here in Ohio and getting colder. BUT, fortunately no snow her. My wife, however, would to see and enjoy snow at this time of the year. Getting ready to head down to Charlottesville, Va., for time with our grandsons, etc., as we ring in the New Year!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 130,097 views for this posting.

Terry - I noticed you posted something about Palau on another CC thread. I went there many years ago and stayed for a week at the Palau Pacific Resort. An incredible place with the best snorkelling ever. We did a couple of boat trips to the Rock Islands and also drove around the main island and the capital, Koror. I wouldn't do this place on any kind of big ship - it has to be an expedition ship. Of course, one of WWII's bloodiest battles, Pelilau, took place here.

Terry - I noticed you posted something about Palau on another CC thread. I went there many years ago and stayed for a week at the Palau Pacific Resort. An incredible place with the best snorkelling ever. We did a couple of boat trips to the Rock Islands and also drove around the main island and the capital, Koror. I wouldn't do this place on any kind of big ship - it has to be an expedition ship. Of course, one of WWII's bloodiest battles, Pelilau, took place here.

Appreciate, Fletcher, this added background on Palau. Very interesting, especially involving its WWII historic connections. Below is the link to the CNN story on this part of the South Pacific that is on their must-see listing for 2016:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2291840

Anybody else been there? We have never done any of these South Pacific areas, but they are on the future to-do, wish/hope list.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,615 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I echo what Fletcher has said here. My favourite place in the world is Palau.

I used the Palau Pacific Resort as my base and did boat trips to the Rock Islands and Peleliu (incredible WWII history here).

Also chartered a plane and flew all over the islands...the island chain is an incredible sight from the air and highly recommended.

I would love to go back there!

Cheers

Jennifer

Speaking of which....I wanted to take the opportunity to thank all the Coolers who took the time to offer words of advice, support and encouragement for Mysty and Myster's Big Adventure! Your kind thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to all for a bright and sparkling 2016! Happy, Happy New Year!

Mysty....please do not send that snow over here!! At least you still have a few days for it to clear up somewhat before you set off!

Still basking in relatively warm weather this side right now....no heating on....in December!!!

Good to hear from Mary....hope Salop is not on flood alert....it can get pretty nasty there when the River Severn becomes naughty.

Also good to see Jennifer and Fletcher joining us on the cooler.......assuming JP and Chris must be home now so looking forward to the pics.

Simple lunch today of Jacket potato with Prawns in Marie sauce.....time to start thinking about sale shopping for the next voyage!! [emoji6]

Sophia [emoji5]

Yes, we made it home a little after 8pm last night...way later if you're on Barcelona time! The trip was such fun and we accomplished a lot. As usual, there's much more to do. Next time!

Traffic out of Kennedy was even more annoying than usual so we're lucky that we got home when we did. After getting home we had to pick up a few groceries and some take-out food. About 30 minutes after we settled in for the night, the mixture of sleet, snow, and other assorted semi-solid precipitation started. Thus I had to put the snow tires on Chris' car for the ride in this morning!

Made it to work this morning...We'll see how that goes! The white stuff does look really pretty, from a distance!

Have a great day everyone. Pictures will get posted eventually, once I get over the disappointment of not being there any longer, and I can look at them without shedding a tear! ;)

Edited by jpalbny

Glad you made it home safely JP! We're getting the snow and nastiness now. People are advised to stay off the roads. Hope your disappointment lessens soon..... the downside of wonderful travel is the return to routine afterwards. Hope your day is relatively quiet! :)

Frances has been resting lately because M is trying to tick boxes off on multiple lists! She needs her batteries charged and then I think I will attempt to post pictures of our winter wonderland. :) Stay tuned! And thanks for the reminder to exercise her J!