Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Thanks M, ....

Lola, it's bad enough coping with the whole concept of being a grandparent ... that's bad enough ... but the idea of one's kids being retired .... well! I'm interested by your son .... is he a chef or do you mean home cook? What does he make well? You know how I like to hear smutty food talk!

Today we took a walk down the drove road. For anyone newly here this is an acient drove road that was used to drive cattle and livestock and chickens and geese through the countryside avoiding roads and turnpikes. Not Bhutan L. but it is the lovely verdant and natural walks taken from our home here in Hampshire.

DSC03175.jpg

DSC03174.jpg

DSC03173.jpg

DSC03172.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

DSC03169.jpg

Jeff

Good work JP! I forgot to put that request in my response to machotspur. :( Yes please machotspur! Pictures please!

Shouting... (well, not really. I'd have to use all caps!) :)

In all seriousness, I would love to see some pictures of Bhutan. Haven't been anywhere near there (yet).

I too would love to see some pictures of Bhutan; not many people get the chance to go there, and I think ours has probably gone by now. We are getting a bit ancient for long distance travel, but have done lots in the past and being reminded of places by Mysty and others is great.

Dear jpalbany, lincslady & mysty.

Thank you for your interest in my trip to Bhutan. My very sincere apologies but having offered to post some photos I now this morning feel unable to do so.

You are nice people and thank you for the all too brief communication. I wish you the very best wherever your future travels take you.

I'm out of here.

Kind regards

PS Mysty - Burma was also great as you say in your blog - we were there last year and very much enjoyed the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon and the temples in Bagan were one of our all time favourites.

Jeff - son is just a self taught home cook. He left work for a few years some years ago (lots of pressure in a pretty important job in his industry, automotive orientated) and had to justify being at home. He then went back for a few years, having being persuaded, but again after a few years decided he could afford to retire. He and lovely wife are real foodies, and eat out quite a lot, but he does cook from cookery books, the sort of thing we all enjoy - some oriental dishes, game, superb breakfasts when we stay there, lovely goose at Christmas, home made soups etc. etc. Don't forget I am older than any of the rest of you!

Love your walk; I have been doing some much needed tidying in the garden, the side of the house looks not unlike some of your walk!! So out with the secateurs while DH tried to tidy the rubbish in the shed - anyone want a decrepit Moulton bike?

machotspur - so sorry to read your latest message. Hope we may persuade you to stick with us for a while? If you have some worries, I hope they will be resolved.

Regards to all

Lola

g'day all.

Enjoying the photos.

Congrats Jeff. Always exciting when the offspring excel. A reflection, I am sure on you and your lovely wife.

Lola thanks for remembering my upcoming cruise.

Yes I am making lists and gathering items to pack.

I know JP would freak if he saw my suitcase.

Sophia, how is the bungalow makeover going?

Terry, thanks for keeping us updated on the Cloud and its tall pax.

I can't imagine they fit too well in those eensy suites, especially with the low ceilings!

Eagerly awaiting the Olympics.

Walking the garden frequently to make certain no standing water for mosquito development. Zika is very close by.

Edited by spinnaker2

Good Afternoon Coolers!

Spins ... please refresh the grey matter ... when and where?

I see SS is doing a bit of refurb.

Silversea, the leading ultra-luxury cruise line, is delighted to announce the biggest fleet-wide refurbishment plan in its history, worth $170 Million

http://www.silversea.com/fleet-refurbishment-plan/?campaign=UK%23EMAIL%23CLASSIC%23EMC1691%23DEM&utm_source=GBP&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=EMC1691

A lovely lunch today of paella and Bredon has led to an afternoon doze, which I try to avoid as it impacts nightly sleep. Meal and apres- debris.

3C93B795-93AC-4B05-9B24-6428607CDC58.jpg

DA603271-1DFC-4409-9E74-FED36413FCDC.jpg

3EE476E8-91B5-42EE-8B63-07F9ED34E6AA.jpg

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...off to eat my own lunch at work. Tuna fish sandwiches. At least the company (Chris) will be good! No bubbly either, unless you count the seltzer!

Spinnaker2, no worries about the suitcase, unless I'm carrying it! :) If it is truly singular, that's a plus, right? We look at it as a challenge to see how little we can bring. It's fun!

Only two more months until Madagascar! Time to think about our wardrobe choices. Three weeks in a small suitcase may be challenging.

machotspur...thanks for dropping by! Hope you will visit again soon.

lola.......your son sounds like a wonderful cook!

spins.....no zika here yet but our mosquitoes are biting like mad.

J.....Your meal looks delicious!

JP.... I'm now very curious about packing clothes for 3 weeks in teeny suitcases. Please let us know how that works out. :)

Jeff,

I would answer where and when if I knew what it references...if it's the cruise upcoming, it's Venice to Venice, ten days on the spirit. We leave on August 9, and catch the ship, hopefully, on the 12.

Ravenna, Split, Corfu, Trieste, Dubrovnik, Hvar, etc...

If it's Zika, it's in Miami area.

Lunch looks good.

JP,

I am never going to be as concise a packer as you. I know it.

I just went to guest room to look at stuff again, and I got that feeling of overwhelming...

On the lunch front, DH ate tuna for years for lunch, switched to cottage cheese with wasa crackers, now he eats chicken salad.

As you may recall, he's a shrink, doesn't like change. :-)

He may retire in the next year or so, perhaps he will return to tuna or gruel!

The Madagascar trip sounds wonderful.

Edited by spinnaker2

What does a male deer do to top dining on our hosts from just a few days ago? You won't guess this one!! It's raiding our bird feeders. Is that too much?? Right in front of our kitchen window, plus within view from our upstairs bathroom window, you can see this deer caught in the act of stealing from the birds and squirrels who like to frequent our feeders. See the photo evidence below.

Is this an up-close, impressive wildlife view?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,991 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is one of our male deer in our ravine area in the middle of the city going for the food from one of our bird feeders. This young buck is not shy or restrained!:

July2016Pis9_zps0vbc34qi.jpg

July2016Pis10_zps6cijekr8.jpg

July2016Pis11_zpsdrrwovz9.jpg

July2016Pis12_zpsey1wgr5f.jpg

I think it was this guys girlfriend that jumped over the hood of my car on the highway this morning! After my heart stopped pounding in my ears, I was ever so grateful that it jumped OVER instead of INTO!

202 days to go!

Mysty and spinnaker2, I haven't actually packed for 3 weeks in two small suitcases...yet! So I'm also curious to see how (if) this will actually happen. :D

I read the release outlining SS' refurbishment plans for later this year. Does sound nice! Was excited to read about the refreshing of Silver Wind, one of our favorites.

I was a bit surprised to see that Silver Discoverer was on the list, though. I thought that SS leased this ship, and the rumor recently was that the lease was ending early because the Silver Cloud was joining the expedition fleet. Must mean that Silver Discoverer is here to stay?

Edited by jpalbny

I read the release outlining SS' refurbishment plans for later this year. Does sound nice! Was excited to read about the refreshing of Silver Wind, one of our favorites.

The Silver Wind arrives outside my office window again today for the last time this year. Always nice watching her arrive under Tower Bridge. I'm going to watch and film today from the vantage point looking down from the sky garden. (As long as they don't stop me using a suction cup on the windows to support the Gopro's.)

Lunch onboard again tomorrow. :-)

I'll see if they know what the extent of the makeover is on the ship tour.

I'll see if they know what the extent of the makeover is on the ship tour.

It was in the link I posted earlier .....

Jeff

The refurbishment programme extends to Silver Wind during her dry dock scheduled for October 2016. Once again, refurbishment of furniture and furnishings, technology upgrades that include interactive TVs and on demand movies complete the contemporary, yet understated levels of luxury in every suite. Additionally, the concept restaurant La Terrazza and the flagship Main Restaurant will both have new flooring bestowed upon them, enhancing the overall feel of gastronomic excellence delivered on board.

The pool deck will undergo a complete rip-and-replace approach to one of its aesthetic jewels, the exceptional teak flooring. This will reinstate the deck area as one of the most atmospheric aboard, more akin to a luxury yacht than a cruise ship, while reaffirming Silver Wind’s status as a timeless classic within the Silversea fleet.

Good Afternoon All.......

London weekend looming so busy organising !

Spins....I've decided to put work on the bungalow on hold until next spring, l need architects in and all that so l want to take time to ensure I get it right! Your voyage is getting close now so you must be busy with final arrangements!

Scrumptious food pics Jeffers.....and have enjoyed the posts about those glorious days in the 60's......l did go to the Marquee Club once but can't recall who was on....if only we knew then what we know now eh!

JP.....your soon to be vacation sounds wonderful......l shall be interested to hear if your packing goes to plan and will look forward to your experiences.

Sad to see the Russell Square attack last night, let's hope nothing else happens.

I've been for a lovely walk with furry babe this morning to the little town of Ellesmere, such a picturesque place with woodland walks...the place also has the most delicious Deli so I got some tasty homemade goodies for eats today.......

Happy Day

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, enjoy the town. We're thinking about Christmas destinations again and London is near the top of the list. First things first though; Chris has to be sure that she isn't working...and then we have to decide whether to take an extra day off (we already have 12/26 off as the official holiday) and return on the 27th...much too early to plan that trip just yet.

Here are some more details for the upcoming October trip! We're a group of six this time. The two in our group of eight who are from Australia couldn't make it this time...it's us, the Canadians, and the Pennsylvanians.

Madagascar - two weeks

Friday night – fly from Boston to Paris to Antananarivo (Tana). Arrive late Saturday night. Overnight in Tana. Try to sleep...

Sunday – morning drive from Tana to Andasibe National Park. Two nights here with wildlife hikes, hunting for lemur sightings, etc. This includes a nighttime hike to see nocturnal wildlife.

Tuesday evening – drive from Andasibe to Tana for an overnight stay, to be ready for our flight the next day.

Wednesday – fly from Tana to Diego Suarez; drive to Amber Mountain NP. Spend two nights. Waterfalls, crater lakes, botanical gardens, lemurs, birds…

Friday – Drive to East Ankarana NP. Hiking through canyons, areas with tsingy (limestone karst pinnacles), caves. Chance to see fossa! One overnight here.

Saturday – drive to West Ankarana NP; more remote. Very high density of wildlife in this section. Tsingy, caves, birds, reptiles. Two overnights here in a bush camp.

Monday – fly to Bekopaka, then drive to Tsingy of Bemaraha Park. Two nights here with more hiking: forests, mangrove swamps, limestone tsingy, trails that include rope ladders and bridges.

Wednesday – fly to Ile St-Marie for two nights R&R. We’ll be too late in the season for whale-watching but hope to snorkel, etc. We will probably need to rest up after 2 weeks of hiking.

Friday – fly back to Tana for one overnight.

South Africa - one week

Saturday – fly from Tana to JNB to CPT. Check in to our hotel outside of Stellenbosch.

Sunday, Monday – wine tasting with Vineyard Ventures (thanks Terry for the referral) for two full days. Try to avoid buying several cases of wine.

Tuesday – Stellenbosch on our own. Two of our companions leave for home this evening. We'll probably hitch a ride with them to the airport and pick up our rental car.

Wednesday – drive to Hermanus (along the south coast) for whale watching, and great white sharks. We are by ourselves tonight as the remaining couple is heading to CPT today. We will overnight in Hermanus.

Thursday – head back to CPT for one last night. Reunite with our friends for dinner on the waterfront.

Friday – leisure day to do as we wish in CPT or the surrounding area. We have a late (11:50 PM) flight out of CPT. They leave earlier, around 6PM.

Saturday – home again. Try to adjust to reality... :(

Mysty - no doubt, we will arrive home exhausted after running ourselves ragged for 3 weeks. We are doing the unthinkable (for us) and coming home on a Saturday, so we have a day to rest before returning to work on Monday. That is so unusual for us!

Meant to say earlier, that I finished your WC blog last night. An amazing undertaking! You did very well - the planning, the trip, and the blog. I am inspired...Might head over to my travelpod site and put up a short blog on our post-cruise Iceland stay 2 years ago. Have been meaning to do that for some time.

JP, that Madagascar sounds wonderful ... and I hope you make it to Blighty Town over Christmas. :)

For those that missed Glastonbury and would not have seen my appointed all-show highlight which was Christine and The Queens with Tilted .... I have posted a link to her video and the lyrics so you can all sing along together!

:)

CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS LYRICS

I will die before Methusalah

So I'll fight sleep with Ammonia

And every morning with eyes all red

I'll miss them for all the tears they shed

But I'm actually good

Can't help it if we're tilted

I'm actually good

Can't help it if we

I'm actually good

I'm actually good

I miss prosthesis and mended souls

Trample over beauty while singing their thoughts

I match them with my euphoria

When they said "Je suis plus folle que toi"

But I'm actually good

I'm actually good

Can't help it if we

I'm actually good

I'm actually good

Nous et la man on est de sortie

Pire qu'une simple moitié on compte à demi-demi

Pile sur un des bas côtés comme des origamis

Le bras tendu paraît cassé tout n'est qu'épis et éclis

Ces enfants bizarres

Crachés dehors comme par hasard

Cachant l'effort dans le griffoir

Et une creepy song en étendard qui fait:

I'm doing my face

With magic marker

I'm in my right place

Don't be a downer

I'm doing my face

With magic marker

I'm in my right place

Don't be a downer

I'm actually good

I'm actually good

Can't help it if we

I'm actually good

I'm actually good

The Silver Wind arrives outside my office window again today for the last time this year. Always nice watching her arrive under Tower Bridge. I'm going to watch and film today from the vantage point looking down from the sky garden. (As long as they don't stop me using a suction cup on the windows to support the Gopro's.)

The day turned out nicer than expected. We are out front on the Wind and will look up left to see if we can spot you on sky garden level. trying to setup a tripod to get some sharp pictures of the tower bridge opening... hope its not too breezy when we get there in the next hour.

The day turned out nicer than expected. We are out front on the Wind and will look up left to see if we can spot you on sky garden level. trying to setup a tripod to get some sharp pictures of the tower bridge opening... hope its not too breezy when we get there in the next hour.

Welcome to London!

:)

Jeff

Such fun! Have sailed from Tower Bridge twice, but have never arrived and docked that way...more cruises to plan, I guess!

Have a great sail in, and happy photographing to all.