Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

CL

You must try Bolney Vineyard and Wakehurst Place

And also The Bluebell Railway is lovely and they have dinner evenings and also Sunday lunch on the train.

The food at Gravetye is exceptional,the Chef is Geoge Blogg and they have a Michelin star.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looks like a mystical and magical place to stay, full of good spirits, hopefully.

To Terry, yes I am looking forward to football this weekend. I don't think many other coolers care much about our college football, we should reserve our rabid fan feeling for other email sites!

I haven't yet caught up with responsibilities here at the casa. We are dealing with deluge from tropical storm, which hit us once peripherally, went out into the gulf and is now swirling again and aiming at the Peninsula one more time. The swath of the storm is quite wide, and as of the moment no one is yet sure where it is aiming. But for sure it is raining! And heavily. Our pool looks like an infinity pool, and we are draining some of the water out. Streets may flood, as we are under a flood watch.

Hope some of the coolers will share Fall's beauty on this site! I do miss the change of seasons.

Yet another, hauntingly beautiful picture from Fletcher.

CL,

I'm sure you're wise enough to know exactly what you want, and we are all thankfully different and I think your change of mind and move from Kent to Sussex is a good one, and the hotel will I am sure be sublime.

But you are as I understand it going to be by yourself and do not wish to drive. So whilst the hotel will provide a fantastic experience, do you really want to essentially maroon yourself for six nights in a hotel in a rural area where every trip out will involve taxis or limmos? You cannot even go out for a nice wander at night. A great hotel does not necessarily mean a practical or appropriate hotel. A car would make a lot of difference.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. :)

Jeff

CL,

I'm sure you're wise enough to know exactly what you want, and we are all thankfully different and I think your change of mind and move from Kent to Sussex is a good one, and the hotel will I am sure be sublime.

But you are as I understand it going to be by yourself and do not wish to drive. So whilst the hotel will provide a fantastic experience, do you really want to essentially maroon yourself for six nights in a hotel in a rural area where every trip out will involve taxis or limmos? You cannot even go out for a nice wander at night. A great hotel does not necessarily mean a practical or appropriate hotel. A car would make a lot of difference.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. :)

Jeff[/quote

Try re-reading her post Jeff :rolleyes:

I haven't yet caught up with responsibilities here at the casa. We are dealing with deluge from tropical storm, which hit us once peripherally, went out into the gulf and is now swirling again and aiming at the Peninsula one more time. The swath of the storm is quite wide, and as of the moment no one is yet sure where it is aiming. But for sure it is raining! And heavily. Our pool looks like an infinity pool, and we are draining some of the water out. Streets may flood, as we are under a flood watch.

Hope some of the coolers will share Fall's beauty on this site! I do miss the change of seasons.

Welcome home, spinnaker2. Sounds challenging! Hope the rain isn't too damaging. That reminds me, I should call my Dad in Fort Pierce and make sure he's not floating away. Tomorrow is his 70th birthday.

No Fall colors here yet, thank you... :rolleyes: Lake Placid was beautiful, and still very green! It will be a few weeks yet. If we're not in Madagascar yet (5 weeks, 3 days but who's counting?) I'll post some.

Gosh JP, your note reminded me of Spins homecoming! :eek:

Apologies Spins ..... welcome home!

Your post reminded me of a person I always wished to meet but never would do ... Quentin Crisp who we exported from Blighty to The Bowery. He was a prize we should never allowed to leave. He once said about dust something along the lines of "There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse."

Today has been a hot day on the balcony and we head back to base some time over the next day or two Helga performing her Germanic duties.

Jeff

And you got a three-for as a result! ;)

My Dad says no parties this year, because he'd then have to reveal his age. :D Little does he know that I've already broadcast it for him.

Edited by jpalbny

Yet another, hauntingly beautiful picture from Fletcher.

Thanks for that, Catlover.

Gravetye is fairly remote, quite hard to find, and then down a very long private drive. You definitely need your own transport. Also, as nice as the hotel is, it doesn't have any extended facilities, like a serious spa or swimming pool.

If you are a member of the Relais & Chateaux 5C Club they treat you very well.

Thanks for that, Catlover.

Gravetye is fairly remote, quite hard to find, and then down a very long private drive. You definitely need your own transport. Also, as nice as the hotel is, it doesn't have any extended facilities, like a serious spa or swimming pool.

If you are a member of the Relais & Chateaux 5C Club they treat you very well.

Hi Fletch, That was my concern.

Wifey detected a certain reluctance to drive in CL's note, and her first question was "what time of year is she comng?" and "can she walk to a local pub?" and "Is she going to eat in every night by herself?".

Wifey hates drivng around the villages between dusk and daybreak and when it is frosty and I guess she wondered how practical it actually is for someone reluctant to drive however romantic it might sound now.

One thing all of the Americans we have hosted have enjoyed the most is walking to a local pub where by the second night they feel included and welcome.

CL booked quite quickly and having had these thoughts, I thought I should at least ask so she makes the right decision for her.

Jeff

Sorry Spins......Welcome Home....do hope the storms haven't been too bad for you.....I see you are back on the Spirit for next years crossing again...I'm going to miss the crossings next year which is a bit disappointing but I've still got three voyages booked up including the Muse....so I'm sure I'll cope! [emoji6]

Jeff....Fletch.....I'm not familiar with the part of the country CL is planning to visit...maybe it would help her if you were to give some distances between where she's staying and where she wants to visit....as a solo lady traveller l really wouldn't like to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.....albeit I'm sure it's a perfectly safe location.

As we all know car hire here isn't the same as in the states......and most hire cars are manual which makes driving much more stressful...imho! There is also the issue of finding ones way around.....if budget allows I would be inclined to hire a dedicated driver for the duration.

On the other hand.....a quick train journey from London to Chester maybe worth a thought....based in the Roman city one can visit many gardens, National Trust properties and some beautiful castles in North Wales with a great deal of ease on good public transport......only my thoughts of course....[emoji5]

Today furry baby, DD and GD have been up to the North Wales Coast....such a beautiful day for the last day of summer......walking on the beach and dipping our paws and toes whilst taking in the sea air was perfect.......

Happy Day

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are many places in the UK and Ireland that are interesting, fun, simple to navigate and, primarily, aren't London.

To avoid the cliche we recommend friends from overseas to look seriously at a few days in:

York

Chester

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Belfast

Dublin

Cardiff

And as a wild card: Leeds is a lively city with some very interesting neighbours: Harrogate, the Dales, York, Manchester, Bronte country, Ilkley, Ilkley Moor (with or without head covering). Indeed the transpennine rail journey to Manchester, a little lunch and light shopping, and back to Leeds is a wonderful day out.

All the above are very easy to get to from London, are safe and easily manageable on foot, and I've lived in all of them (except Chester and Glasgow!). If that's not recommendation enough, I don't know what is.

Edited by Tothesunset

Excellent suggestions TTS........hope you and Mrs T are keeping well......S [emoji4]

Yes we are indeed. New puppy is now nearly 7 months old and doing well.

Off to Chicago with Virgin airmiles in a couple of weeks and doing a drive through Illinois, Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa. I think that will leave something like 7 or 8 states that we have yet to visit but we will knock off Massachusets next Feb for Kim's 60th and Connecticut on a day trip from NY in December. We are trying to get all 50 but the last few are geographically awkward!

We are doing the Wind crossing autumn next year but are flying back from Barbados so will not be joining you in the Caribbean. Our loss, your gain:)

All sounds wonderful.....so pleased pup is coming along well.....they are such a joy. Can't believe K is 60 so soon.....she will soon catch up with me.....[emoji15][emoji6]

The USA adventures ...love it....so good to see the off tourist trails.....hope you enjoy.

The Wind voyage has been changed to the Whisper so sadly our paths won't cross....which is both our losses......but you have the glorious QM2 to experience which will be fabulous.....can't beat a good Christmas shop in NYC.....!

S[emoji4]

All sounds wonderful.....so pleased pup is coming along well.....they are such a joy. Can't believe K is 60 so soon.....she will soon catch up with me.....

But you are both wearing so well....for old biddies (Tin hat on, into foxhole!)

The USA adventures ...love it....so good to see the off tourist trails.....hope you enjoy.

That's what we prefer. We tend to have a rough idea of which direction to point the car and keep going until it seems a good idea to stop. We've ended up in some wonderful places, other times - not so much:eek:

The Wind voyage has been changed to the Whisper so sadly our paths won't cross....which is both our losses......but you have the glorious QM2 to experience which will be fabulous.....can't beat a good Christmas shop in NYC.....!

Shopping? At the current exchange rate she'll be getting a Big Mac and chips and like it!!!

I've been reading about the QM2 remastering and it certainly sounds like a grand ship. Whether we will get along with a couple of thousand others remains to be seen.

And there's no Humidor! On deck? December? North Atlantic? Seems like we will need our stiff upper lips.

But you are both wearing so well....for old biddies (Tin hat on, into foxhole!)

That's what we prefer. We tend to have a rough idea of which direction to point the car and keep going until it seems a good idea to stop. We've ended up in some wonderful places, other times - not so much:eek:

Shopping? At the current exchange rate she'll be getting a Big Mac and chips and like it!!!

I've been reading about the QM2 remastering and it certainly sounds like a grand ship. Whether we will get along with a couple of thousand others remains to be seen.

And there's no Humidor! On deck? December? North Atlantic? Seems like we will need our stiff upper lips.

Many thanks for the compliment....[emoji6] I think we are wearing very well to date.....!! [emoji483]

J ...I'm presuming you are in the Grills? Lordy help you if not....[emoji15][emoji30]

The 'Humidor' on QM is Churchills....a very small space and cigarette smoking I am told is not encouraged...they want the revenue from the big cigars they sell in there.....I'd take little notice however......most certainly the crew don't give a tootle....but some can at times have their head up their rear end.....one just has to be forceful.....the refurb looks good so I'm sure you'll enjoy......[emoji4]

Excellent choices TTS, I'm sure if CL is looking for more suggestions, I guess at some point she'll return and ask.

Heading back to civilisation in a few hours. So looking forward to some grilled meat and salads and flatbreads and a proper kitchen.

Jeff

Safe journey home Jeffers......so hope CL will come back and look at the other options......[emoji4]

Safe journey home Jeffers......so hope CL will come back and look at the other options......[emoji4]

Thanks Soapy, ......yes just got back .... nice clear ride in Helga.

Yes, however nice Tom's dog is, I feel there are much more suitable options for a lady of style traveling by herself and not enjoying driving and wanting to experience a bit of lovely blighty. Collectively I am sure we can help with a cunning plan if she wants further practical ideas and suggestions from which to choose.

Jeff