What to do in Grand Cayman with toddler & infant - STUMPED!

FLIP FLOP GAL

I am just stumped on what to plan for our days in port at both Grand Cayman & Cozumel. We are traveling with our 2.5yr old & our 7 month old. We will NOT have car seats with us, so, finding "safe" transportation will be key on both ports.

In Grand Cayman, we were thinking maybe the semi-sub tour following by some beach time. Is this possible considering our transportation issues? Has anyone ever done stingray city with a toddler (the infant will stay on the boat under the shade)?? We (the adults) have already done stingray city, so, we honestly don't feel compelled to do it again...more curious because the rest of our group is planning on doing it.

Can someone recommend a viable method of transportation...hiring a driver with car seats? Renting a car? etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas welcome!

not intended to sound like a curmudgeon

but have you considered just staying on the ship and enjoying the 'uncrowdedness'

two strollers kicking around COZ or Cayman? UGH

especially Cayman since you will be tendering . . . you COULD look at Boatswain's Beach at the turtle farm ... sort of a water park. But you could splash on the ship for free

In Coz you can easily get off the ship and stretch your legs around the shops close to the pier .... OR, there ARE horse drawn buggies that will take you to town where you can walk around - no car seat worries there!

Has anyone ever done stingray city with a toddler (the infant will stay on the boat under the shade)??

Really? Most of the boat trips have a minimum age . . .

• 1 month later...

Yeah - I actually have no desire to ATTEMPT Stingray City with the kids this trip. Asked because our group is begging us to join them, but, it's just not happening.

I'm thinking of either hopping on the bus and heading to the beach for a little bit (MUST find a place with lots of shade though) or looking into a day pass at the Westin.

Decisions decisions.

Yeah - I actually have no desire to ATTEMPT Stingray City with the kids this trip. Asked because our group is begging us to join them, but, it's just not happening.

I'm thinking of either hopping on the bus and heading to the beach for a little bit (MUST find a place with lots of shade though) or looking into a day pass at the Westin.

Decisions decisions.

On our last trip our children were 12 and 2 years old. I purchased some beach toys from the local dollar store(a small bucket, water squirter, sand toys,a blow up floating ring, and a portable beach mat.) Once off the ship we walked to the beach and had tons of fun in the sun. The beach toys were a life saver!!! Once the kids were done with the water, we then grabbed lunch and then walked around the shopping areas while the 2 year old napped in the stroller.

Here's my reservation with the sub trip, we did something similar at Disney Land. I beleive it was the "Finding Nemo" ride. We boarded this submarine and it was semi underwater, it went really really really slow, so that you would see the fish and follow the story line. The challenge we faced was our 2 year old was " over" the experience soon after it started, yet we had to sit through the entire trip with an antsy cranky 2 year old, while packed in a very small space with a ton of people. So I guess you will have to consider what to do if the baby gets upset on the sub or if the 5 year old is not intereseted and wants to move around or get out before its the ride is over.

Edited by Californiacruizers

• 1 month later...

The bare bones opposite is: simply catch a bus headed to West End, and get off at Foster's Food Fair. Go to the hot table in this supermarket -- goat stew, ox tail soup, you name it. Oh, the best part? Take your groceries and walk, like, a hundred yards to Cemetery Beach. Your food, their food, a lightly patronized beach (with the cache of eating on the cemetery wall). Easy transport.