Portable Steamers

Can someone tell me if the portable, hand held clothing steamers are allowed onboard?

I'm talking about the little $30 one.

Thanks!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

We've taken our steamer on every cruise and I think we've only used it once. Never got hassled or questioned on any line. As previously mentioned, if you pack and unpack right, it's no big deal. A wrinkle or two is part of being on a cruise. Everyone's in the...same...um...boat :)

We've taken our steamer on every cruise and I think we've only used it once. Never got hassled or questioned on any line. As previously mentioned, if you pack and unpack right, it's no big deal. A wrinkle or two is part of being on a cruise. Everyone's in the...same...um...boat :)

LOL! :D

I travel quite a bit for business and I have ended up buying a lot of clothing that is designed to be wrinkle resistant. It works pretty well, too. I like the Jos. A Bank Traveler Collection clothing. The khaki pants and sports shirts almost don't even need any ironing after being washed - maybe just s light touch-up. And the secret to packing is to jam everything in as tight as possible. Clothes coming out of an overstuffed smaller suitcase will be in better shape than those coming out of a larger bag where they were gently placed. Letting clothes move around in transport is what wrinkles them so badly.

You won't need one. Pack a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, spray the offending item then hang in bathroom while you take a shower. Voila, no more wrinkles.

Washing clothes in fabric softener also helps. I sometimes iron shirts the night before the cruise in the hotel and carry them on with me in a suit bag.

Manny

I carried my steamer but never used it. Security did open my bag and inspect the steamer, before letting me onboard.

From their conversation, Royal allows those with plastic faces, but considers anything with a metal face an iron.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think the answer is, "It depends". If you really feel like you need one you should take one you might not hate losing if it gets confiscated and you don't remember to try to figure out where they confiscated it to...

Like this one is only $18 so if you lose it it's no big loss. It's also plastic so less susceptible to scans. I don't think they'll kick you off the cruise for trying.

http://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-435-Compact-Fabric-Steamer/dp/B00070OWMU/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440093549&sr=1-6&keywords=travel+steamer

I wouldn't take one mostly because packing space is so precious and these things are typically not teeny tiny.

Tom

I carried my steamer but never used it. Security did open my bag and inspect the steamer, before letting me onboard.

From their conversation, Royal allows those with plastic faces, but considers anything with a metal face an iron.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

We separate the unit and pack it in 2 suitcases, so they don't find it!

If you pack right, usually no wrinkles, anyway! I buy Chico's "travelers" and they pack great. Also, I put my blouses on one end of my pants and fold the leg over, like a burrito (lol). Use bubble or tissue wrap to fill in gaps of the suitcase! All else fails-they can steam on the ship.

• 2 months later...
Maybe we were lucky, but we've had a steamer taken before, but it was returned at the end of the cruise.

When I was waiting for Laura to get off Freedom last month I was standing by the pick up table for confiscated items. Could not believe how much stuff was there. I'll take a picture on Sunday. :eek:

We have taken a steamer on over 25 cruises and never had a problem. In my Cruise Booklet for our cruise next week I do not see anything mentioned about a steamer.But I guess it could be a "similar item".

But if you were cruising on RCCL for the first time and they sent you your cruise booklet and it does not mention steamers what would you think?

Royal Caribbean International’s highest priority is to ensure

the safety and security of all guests. In order to maintain

an effective and meaningful security environment and

to comply with international and national security laws,

regulations and guidelines, Royal Caribbean has established

strict security procedures in the seaport terminals we

utilize and onboard all our vessels. These measures include

screening all guests and their personal property prior to

boarding. We appreciate our cooperation in this endeavor.

For the safety of our guests, certain items are not allowed

onboard the cruise ship. Weapons, illegal drugs and other

items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship

or the safe and secure environment of the guests and crew

are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are

not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be

taken by ships Security upon being found.

Prohibited items: Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic

replicas; Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are

allowed.) Illegal Drugs & Substances; Candles & Incense;

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons & Hot Plates; Baseball Bats,

Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows; Illegal Drugs;

Skateboards & Surfboards; Martial Arts Gear; Self Defense

Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid

and fireworks; HAM Radios, Dangerous Chemicals including

bleach and paint; Personal Alcohol; Hookah Pipes.

We pack our clothes the best we can to avoid major wrinkles, but they do occur.

After awhile for us when we cruise now, who cares about wrinkles, I'm not really ever going to set a fashion statement, and on formal night our dresses are pressed free (suite perk) and DH rents a tuxs.

It's a vacation.

Enjoy