Allure of the Seas in rough weather?

Gingee

Yup I agree ,if you read my post on first page you will see.I love when people say you wont feel a thing.B/S... Ive been on Allure and fir the first 4 days all you did was rock up and down constantly.Pools were closed because they would almost entirely empty from the rocking.The ships are big but the ocean and mother nature will win out everytime.To those who say you wont feel a thing just have yet to be on REAL stormy seas.We stopped sailing entirely during hurricane season because of our bad luck.Even when a storm is hundreads of miles a way the wake it leaves in its path will sometimes rock the seas with huge swells for days on end.

I remember reading about that cruise! That was October 2011 correct? When RC sailed straight out into the middle of that storm while Carnival and Disney stayed in port. 110mph crosswind with upwards of 40 feet seas :eek:

No thanks!

When we sailed the Quantum in early February going south from NJ was pretty good because we anticipated rough waters around Cape Hatteras, NC. Not so lucky going north. As we approached Nassau the waters began getting rougher, but the Captain kept us informed of the situation. The storm covered the entire Eastern Coast. The waves aproached 20 feet and sometimes the spray reached the Solarium--it was unbelievable. The Captain kept the ship sailing closer to the US coast, otherwise, based on his calculation, the waves would have been higher by 7 feet. The ship rocked & rolled, but the worst part was the amount of creaking noise, especially in the theater. This went on for a good day and a half.

When we arrived under the Verrazano Bridge, I went to the pool deck for a better view, and the area surrounding the pool, looked like one big ice rink as the outside temp was in the area of -10.

height of the seas (almost ALWAYS greatly exaggerated) and wind speed (ditto) are but two factors in the equation as to what you feel on board ......

MUCH depends on the course being steered and the SPEED of the vessel. These two factors under the control of a MARINER or SEAMAN can do much to lessen the impact of unfavorable conditions.

On the other hand, if there is a 'keep on schedule' mentality that requires the Master to IGNORE his options ... ride pays the price.

Add to this the fact that the average cruise ship has stability to survive a 30 degree roll, but interior storage standards to survive a 5 degree roll and you have a problem (IF you understand what I'm talking about)

this picture shows a 15 degree roll, measured from the horizon to a level line on the ship

listbibb.jpg

here a CARN' ship in a hurricane in Gulf of Mexico .... there were no pass' aboard and the ship was being repositioned (I'm told)

carnival.jpg

here's a ship with true list issues ..... 60 degrees

cougarace2.jpg

and here's an e-ticket ride

Storm5.jpg

I haven't gotten sick before but then again this will be the biggest ship I have ever been on. On our last cruise we saw this ship across the port from us and I felt like we were on a baby ship:)

I was on the Allure during Thanksgiving week of 2013, and the first two days were pretty stormy. According to the Captain's announcement we had 16 foot seas, enough to miss Nassau, but we really didn't notice it that much. It probably helped that we weren't watching the choppiness of the waves, and instead spent most of those two days in the Schooner Bar. Maybe my swaying countered that of the ship...