Allure of the Seas in rough weather?

Gingee

I was on the Allure with hurricane Sandy. We missed port in Jamaica I think. I talked to the RCI HR officer the waves were 18- 24 feet. Had a hard time walking around the ship especially down the room corridor hall for some reason was the worst. There was a lot of people in the infirmary I heard.it was pretty bad even for me and I could usually handle any type of seas even in fishing boats.

Edited by mark22mac

A friend of mine was on Allure during rough weather on a TA crossing, and he said basically the same thing as other Pax that the ship was getting rocked and good, but the crew was getting her through it! Bring medicine and be prepared! Take said medicine early that morning! To try to avoid that yuck feeling. Have a great time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This new big ships are not so much made for rough seas like the older ships. Oasis`overall size does matter but is not the main factor.

Comparing to their size the new big ships have not that much draft and too much height (even if the upper decks are built very light with aluminum nowadays). Ships like Queen Mary 2, Aurora and the old Queen Elizabeth 2 do much better in rough seas. Even Visison class is better on the transatlantic as they have more draft comparing to their size.

I was on the Allure with hurricane Sandy. We missed port in Jamaica I think. I talked to the RCI HR officer the waves were 18- 24 feet. Had a hard time walking around the ship especially down the room corridor hall for some reason was the worst. There was a lot of people in the infirmary I heard.it was pretty bad even for me and I could usually handle any type of seas even in fishing boats.

I was on the same sailing, yes, we did miss Jamaica. Thankfully, I don't get seasick, but it was very difficult walking. I believe the waves were closer to 30 feet. After we got off, we still had to fly home to NYC. One of the bumpiest rides ever, I almost kissed the ground when we arrived.

Carol

Has anyone been on the Allure of the Seas in rough weather. I know it is a huge ship but was just curious how it was.

I was on Allure when there was 15-20ft seas and the ship was trying to make up time. We were deck 12 aft and barely felt anything. It was just enough motion to make sleeping enjoyable.

This new big ships are not so much made for rough seas like the older ships. Oasis`overall size does matter but is not the main factor.

Comparing to their size the new big ships have not that much draft and too much height (even if the upper decks are built very light with aluminum nowadays). Ships like Queen Mary 2, Aurora and the old Queen Elizabeth 2 do much better in rough seas. Even Visison class is better on the transatlantic as they have more draft comparing to their size.

What does "draft" mean? And thank you for your explanation. ☺

I was on the same sailing, yes, we did miss Jamaica. Thankfully, I don't get seasick, but it was very difficult walking. I believe the waves were closer to 30 feet. After we got off, we still had to fly home to NYC. One of the bumpiest rides ever, I almost kissed the ground when we arrived.

Carol

Your right They probably were closer to 30 ft I bet the officer toned it down a bit so not to cause panic.

Carol

We were on the that sailing too. We missed Falmouth but all we really had was rain that day. If we had docked we would have been tied up while the eye passed over the island. The "bad" night of the cruise was the final night of the cruise as we sailed up the Florida Keys and had the after effects of the storm. The seas were around 30' through the night. It wasn't bad by any means, but it could have been better.;)

We were on deck 17 and since all of our items were packed and gone in our suitcases our drawers were empty. They were opening and closing with the waves. Our closet in the loft had a sliding one door, and with the waves the closet slid open up shut and everytime it opened the light turned on and then shut off. I quickly flipped the "trigger" for the light and the light problem was solved. We found out in the CL on embarkation moring that the ship shifted enough that a section of water pipe, in the crew sleeping area seperated and leaked water. We were told the sleeping crew in the effected area first thought that the water on the floor of their cabin was from the ocean. :eek:

This was the first time we sailed with Captain Johnny. He was great keeping us updated on Sandy as well as any changes to our sailing that were occuring because of the storm. On the TV he had a special repeated show that changed daily about the storm and the safety of the ship. Our family was glad to be updated in this professional manner. I will also add that at no time did we feel in danger.

Carolrd, I think you were lucky too as you must have had one of the early flights, before they started to cancell the ones on the coast. One couple from our roll call were from England and were staying in Miami for a few days prior to flying home. Their hotel didn't have hydro for a few days, and the underground parking garage was flooded with water. Their post cruise stay was not as good as their precruise visit to Disney.

This was the first time we sailed with Captain Johnny. He was great keeping us updated on Sandy as well as any changes to our sailing that were occuring because of the storm. On the TV he had a special repeated show that changed daily about the storm and the safety of the ship. Our family was glad to be updated in this professional manner. I will also add that at no time did we feel in danger.

Captain Johnny does a daily video update for every sailing, regardless of the weather. We really enjoyed sailing with him. I'm pretty sure it was when we on Freedom. We got to experience 25-30 foot seas on Grandeur in March 2014. While it was a rough ride and a lot of people felt sick (me included even though I take Bonine), we never once felt we were in any danger, which we weren't.

We were on freedom a few yrs ago going through a trop storm and let me tell you if you opened your balcony door you wouldve been overboard.We were leaning so far you couldnt see horizon at all,just water... This was floor 8 and I imagine higher was worse.Couldnt stand in room.Elavators closed.No main dining that night.meals brought to rooms.All alcohol fell off shelves in promanade.A huge mess.Deck chairs through windows.This was 2-3 yrs ago.Im sure youtube has videos.I NEVER. Want to go through that again.

Edit-heres a youtube of promanade

And captain Ron talking about it

Edited by rtazz17

Was on Oasis in some rough water. The beach pool water actually splashed out of the pool and over the glass wall, down into Central Park. Apparently a lady in the pool had a wardrobe malfunction due to this. They promptly closed and emptied the pool for the day. Water at one point was moving 4 rungs on the pool ladder. We had a sweaty water glass slide across a table.

It made walking back from the wine pairing in 150 CP a lot of fun. No DW, I'm not drunk, it's the ship moving!

Yet another extremely rare time where I agree 100% with cb at sea. :eek:

Ive read WAY too many blanket "you wont fill a thing on Allure or Oasis" statements and I just shake my head. Ive not been on either ship but Im not naive to believe that. Even as big as they are, they are both miniscule compared to the ocean they sail in and mother nature.

It was Oasis that got caught in a terrible storm coming across the big pond with crew only onboard on the way to her homeport in FLL. I think I read they suffered up to 60+ feet seas :eek::confused: It damaged some lifeboats and other things I recall?

Try telling that crew "you wont feel a thing" and get back with us on what they say.

Edited by ryano

Yet another extremely rare time where I agree 100% with cb at sea. :eek:

Ive read WAY too many blanket "you wont fill a thing on Allure or Oasis" statements and I just shake my head. Ive not been on either ship but Im not naive to believe that. Even as big as they are, they are both miniscule compared to the ocean they sail in and mother nature.

It was Oasis that got caught in a terrible storm coming across the big pond with crew only onboard on the way to her homeport in FLL. I think I read they suffered up to 60+ feet seas :eek::confused: It damaged some lifeboats and other things I recall?

Try telling that crew "you wont feel a thing" and get back with us on what they say.

Yup I agree ,if you read my post on first page you will see.I love when people say you wont feel a thing.B/S... Ive been on Allure and fir the first 4 days all you did was rock up and down constantly.Pools were closed because they would almost entirely empty from the rocking.The ships are big but the ocean and mother nature will win out everytime.To those who say you wont feel a thing just have yet to be on REAL stormy seas.We stopped sailing entirely during hurricane season because of our bad luck.Even when a storm is hundreads of miles a way the wake it leaves in its path will sometimes rock the seas with huge swells for days on end.

Edited by rtazz17