Universal from Port Canaveral- To do or not to do?

Marigold919

First time cruiser. Here's my dilemma. Ship will be in from 7am to 6pm on a Wednesday.

1- Should I "risk" doing a rental? Will the rush hour traffic be really bad? I'm paranoid that driving in a new city I might take a wrong exit or something or run into too much traffic and miss my ship. I mentioned the day of the week so those from that area can give me an idea of the traffic situation. I'm usually a good driver and navigator but just nervous that it might all be too much for me. Renting a car will be about $80 total (rental+tolls+parking+fuel).

2- Should I just suck it up and buy from the cruise line? It will be an extra $80 but at least I'd have total peace of mind and I'll probably get at least an extra hour at the park because I'd be so paranoid in the rental scenario that I'd make myself leave the park at least an hour earlier than the cruise line probably makes you.

I know we won't have too much time at Universal but my sister is visiting from abroad and she absolutely wants to see the whole Harry Potter stuff. Yeah its a pricey excursion for the price but it'll be worth it in end :) Thank you for your help everyone!

Edited by Marigold919

It's pretty hard to get lost. Signs everywhere and you stay on the same highway for 98% of the trip (A1A/528) to I-4. It takes an hour and, yes, there will be traffic. If you exit your ship at the earliest, don't plan on being at the Universal Parking garage until at least 9:30. I would personally leave the park at 4pm and be headed back to the parking garage.

The bigger issue is travel time back. There will be traffic between 4-5pm no matter what day. I have missed my flight at the airport because the 20 minute drive from I-4 to the airport on 528 turned into a 2 hour drive. Having seen that traffic enough times, I would take the cruise excursion if you MUST go to a theme park. And don't expect that you would get more time with the cruise excursion. They leave the ship late and leave the park early. They KNOW the traffic is very iffy. The short time at the parks is why I would never recommend people spend so much money on so short an excursion. Depending on time of year, your sister may only have time to walk through one side or the other of Harry Potter stuff and maybe get on one of the rides before time to head back to the shuttle. Hopefully you are going during a slower time of year.

Davy.. Thank you for your detailed reply. We're sailing on September 6 and I've heard that's some of the slowest time of the year so I'm really hoping that we'll be able to enjoy the park just enough to think we got most of our money's worth. I live in VA so getting to universal for me is an expensive project.. No matter how I get there and this might be the cheapest way for me to see *some* of the park until my kids are older and we can take them as well. Right now I'll be leaving the kids on the ship with my husband so me and my sister can make the most of the time.

So in light of what you're saying.. Yes I think I'll stick to the ship excursion. If I rented a car.. Id leave the park at 2:30pm cuz I'd be too paranoid and I've read that the cruise excursion pick up is at 4pm and drop off at the park is just before the park opens. So that's what I meant by having a little more time. Again, thank you for your help.

the ship excursion sounds like the right choice for you but check one thing

there are parts of Harry World in each of the two parks now so you NEED the two park ticket to get the "whole experience" including the train 'tween the two parts.

the ship excursion sounds like the right choice for you but check one thing

there are parts of Harry World in each of the two parks now so you NEED the two park ticket to get the "whole experience" including the train 'tween the two parts.

Thank you... I'm aware of that but given the time restriction we'll stick to one park. My sister says she'll be more than happy to be able to enjoy *some* of the HP stuff :)

If it's just you and your sister, get in the single rider line. You will more than likely be able to ride at the same time (just not right next to each other). It will save you a TON of time, and you will get to more rides. Sept. should be a great time to go, but that is Labor Day weekend, so it might be more crowded than usual. Also if you have an American Express card, bring it. They give you a discount on food and merchandise. The Butter Beer is delicious served warm if you happen to get lucky with a cooler day in Sept.

We did Universal last year as part of a Pride stop in PC (think we were there until 7:00 PM giving us a little more wiggle room in our schedule) - off the ship at 7:45, in a rental car about 8:30, into the parking garage at Universal about 9:30, back at the car at 3:45, gassed up and turned in just before 5:00 and rode the shuttle back to the ship. Total cost for the car plus gas was under $50. :cool:

Busy day, but it can be done - or pay the $80 (each? :eek:) and let someone else worry about traffic, parking, etc.