Plus size cruisers

Hi, my wife and I are sailing on Explorer of the Seas in December this year and I have some concerns in regards to seating around the ship (in particular the main dining room). I am not going to lie, I am a big bloke and I guess the politically correct term is "I am a plus size cruiser". I've had weight loss surgery and have lost around 40kgs but have a long way to go but I can struggle with chairs that have arms on them. Can anyone tell me please, if all the chairs around the ship have arms on them? All the pics I have seen of the main dining room have chairs with arms, are chairs without arms available if I ask for one?

After my surgery we decided it was time to start living again and gave cruising a go and have subsequently caught the cruising bug. My wife and I went on Carnival Spirit in March and found that there were some good options for me. It was great that the mdr chairs were armless. As soon as we were back on land we booked our next cruise, this time on Explorer. We didn't consider that seating options may be different but after looking at pictures recently I am a little bit concerned.

If you have a set dining time, you can ask the head waiter to replace your chair with an armless one when you first board the ship and they will have it for you at every meal. With MTD you may have to request the armless chair at each seating, or they may remember and have it ready. Don't miss the specialty restaurants because of seating either - they have seating options too.

We found more of an issue with some of the theaters. Go to the theater ahead of time and check out seating. In some venues, the seat arms lift up, in some, such as the Aqua theater on Allure, they have some bench seating in addition to the individual seating, but in the comedy club, the chairs were small and had arms. We asked about it and they brought me a piano bench to sit on for the show.

Royal is very accommodating and wants every cruiser to have a good experience, just plan ahead a little so that you can enhance your cruise experience.

• Like 1

Don't miss the specialty restaurants because of seating either - they have seating options too.

Agreed. Never had a problem in any of them. On the other hand, the Windjammer is a place where finding an armless chair is nearly impossible. Most ships have a few benches or banquettes, but they are often all taken, and even so sometimes the table doesn't move and is too close to the seat to be of use. The lack of armless chairs in the Windjammers is something I mention on every post-cruise survey, but to no avail.

We found more of an issue with some of the theaters

This is certainly true on Voyager and Freedom class ships. I was on Explorer last December, and at that time there were no seats that were love seats or larger or had flip up arms, so I had to ask for an armless chair each night.

I didn't go to the ice rink/Studio B, so I can't say for certain about those, but I've had no luck with them on other ships, and hence didn't expect the outcome to be any different.

If you have a balcony, those chairs usually are narrow and have arms as well. Sometimes the desk chairs don't have arms though, so I take that out to the balcony when I want to sit out there.

If you're going to take any RCL excursions, you may want to stop by the excursion desk as soon as you can once you're aboard. Often they use buses or other transportation with seating issues, so if they know ahead of time they can work with the excursion operator to make it more comfortable for you.

Otherwise I think you'll be fine. While not perfect, cruising is one of the most accommodating vacations out there for those of us who are gravitationally gifted. :)

• Like 1

just want to reiterate what others have said - please don't worry about the MDR - they will be happy to provide you with a chair with no arms, and will be doing so for many other people. I agree that the theatre can be a bit more of a problem, but if you scout around you may well find armless seats here and there. I'd suggest maybe heading down there in advance of the first night and scouting out where you would be most comfortable. And don't be self-conscious - there are lots of plus-size cruisers.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Way to go on the weight loss! The MDR will have great dining options & appropriate portion sizes. As others have said, the chairs are armless, and the staff treat you right!! Check out the tutti salad in the MDR for lunch on sea days! A favorite of mine, as I am always dieting. ENJOY your vacation!

No Worries on the seating in MDR there are many non arm chairs I get them all the time. In the Ice Rink top row with tables no arms and top by railing nice view also. Schooner bar and Boleros has armless chairs and as said the Wind jammer is the only problem with only a few places that are comfortable so many just have brakfast in MDR or grab lunch and eat out on deck. Good luck with the loss it takes time but it feels good.

My late husband had a pituitary tumor and was a very tall and large man. He loved cruising and RCCL was always happy to make sure he was comfortable. They had an armless chair for him in the MDR. There are seating options in the theater. There is also some seating at the top of the skating rinks that are not stadium seats that work fine.

Go enjoy your cruise and congratulations on your journey and success with your weight loss!

Thanks everyone for your responses and your kind words. You have helped put my mind at ease. I've been big all my life and you get uses to making compromises and adapting to what is or isn't possible due to it but at least I know there will be options available for me. I am really looking forward to our cruise...only 102 days (and hopefully a few more kgs) to go.

Thanks again, Dave

I'm almost positive I remember there being bench seating (with moveable tables) in the Windjammer. It was in the rear portion..the part facing aft, up against the inside wall. You can also do a google search "allure/oasis of the seas windjammer seating". Have a great time!

Can anyone tell me please, if all the chairs around the ship have arms on them? .

Please Dave, there is No need for any concern.

There are chairs available in each restaurant that suits your requirments.

Enjoy your vacation and have a great time.

The beauty of cruising, is that it is for everybody.

Please Dave, there is No need for any concern.

There are chairs available in each restaurant that suits your requirments.

Enjoy your vacation and have a great time.

The beauty of cruising, is that it is for everybody.

Wow...this thread has been viewed almost 2000 times already, I guess there are a few of us "plus sized cruisers" out there. I would love to hear about other peoples experiences about plus size cruising. Does anyone have any tips or warnings they would like to share? Or does anyone have any plus size cruising questions they would like to ask?

Wow...this thread has been viewed almost 2000 times already, I guess there are a few of us "plus sized cruisers" out there. I would love to hear about other peoples experiences about plus size cruising. Does anyone have any tips or warnings they would like to share? Or does anyone have any plus size cruising questions they would like to ask?

Do the shops on board carry plus size clothing?

My wife and I have cruised many times before and after weight loss surgery and we have found plenty of comfortable places on board.

beforeandafter.jpg

Wow what a difference! Congrats to both of you. My wife had bariatric surgery about 13 years ago and lost a lot of weight. Though, she has been suffering related vitamin deficiencies for years, but overall is in much better health.

Do the shops on board carry plus size clothing?

The largest clothes I've ever seen have been 2x-3x but nothing larger. Not sure what size you are needing, but would not count on anything larger to be definitely available

The largest clothes I've ever seen have been 2x-3x but nothing larger. Not sure what size you are needing, but would not count on anything larger to be definitely available

Yes, would agree with this. I'm about a 2x and can sometimes find something to buy, but generally I wouldn't have any expectations (and the selection is limited, eg I haven't ever seen swimwear in larger sizes).

This is why I only do carryon....once waited til 11 pm for our luggage to appear....made me realize I never wanted to risk having it be lost....we carry it on the ship as well...I hope you have a wonderful trip...

IT would be my worst nightmare.... I am about to purchase a larger size carry on bag so I can pack a few days worth as backup, this will be my first ever cruise and I don't need a lost bag to add to my nervousness.

I am a plus, plus size lady and there is no way I could buy clothes on my cruise coming up in Asia. :confused:

Once we went to Phuket (over 16 yrs ago now) and I forgot to pack both my swimwear and bra's :eek:.....I only had the one I was wearing and days of stalking shops gave up nothing at all anywhere in bra nor swimwear line even close to my size !!:mad:

I now always have a packing list and make sure I tick it off !!:D

I know in Bali they often offer me "KIng Kong" size as I am passing stalls but rarely do they fit me so I think I would be seriously in trouble if my suitcase did not arrive and my two week cruise is about to depart !!

I recently was trying on some evening dresses with my cruise companion and she made a simply lovely statement..... "Deb you are what you are...if it feels nice and is comfortable then buy it and forgot others viewpoints"

That made my day... and roll on 18 sleeps to my RCL departing Singapore AND then 2016 for my bariatric surgery turn !!:eek: