Got my first email for a Miami based cruise to Cuba. When will "X" follow suit?

A Sixth?

Yup, they have already started selling cruises from the US to Cuba.:eek:

Got an email for a 10 day cruise around Cuba that departs and returns from Miami starting as early as March 6 2016. :D (subject to final approval by the U.S. and Cuban governments.)*

This is a small cruise company that already operates cruises to various destinations, so how long until a major dives in.

Celebrity? Ironically the recently rebranded Century may have been perfect for Cuba Cruises by Celebrity.

* from the web site

Cuba-071615-BROCHURE-10-Night.jpg

This cruise, Fathom, is a small subsidiary of Carnival Corp and requires local volunteer work in Cuba in order to make it legal. So, I don't see X doing this anytime soon. Maybe big brother RCCL is considering something similar to fathom, who knows? But X? No way. Not yet.

Yup, they have already started selling cruises from the US to Cuba.:eek:

Got an email for a 10 day cruise around Cuba that departs and returns from Miami starting as early as March 6 2016. :D (subject to final approval by the U.S. and Cuban governments.)*

This is a small cruise company that already operates cruises to various destinations, so how long until a major dives in.

Celebrity? Ironically the recently rebranded Century may have been perfect for Cuba Cruises by Celebrity.

* from the web site

Cuba-071615-BROCHURE-10-Night.jpg

MSC is going to cruise out of Cuba next year. :p Cuba is beautiful :)

I received the same itinerary from a company called Pearl Seas Cruises. Wow, the price is high !! The prices start at about $7500 per person. We have booked an 11 Equinox cruise for Feb 2016 for about the $2500 per person rate, (booked very early so the price was good).

We have also booked a land vacation for Cuba for about $2000 per person for a 7 day all inclusive (5 Star).

Cuba is beautiful but I can't see spending that kind of money on a cruise!!

We are Canadians so maybe they are reaching out to the U.S. as it is a new thing offered.

I love cruising but not at that price !!

I received the same itinerary from a company called Pearl Seas Cruises. Wow, the price is high !! The prices start at about $7500 per person. We have booked an 11 Equinox cruise for Feb 2016 for about the $2500 per person rate, (booked very early so the price was good).

We have also booked a land vacation for Cuba for about $2000 per person for a 7 day all inclusive (5 Star).

Cuba is beautiful but I can't see spending that kind of money on a cruise!!

We are Canadians so maybe they are reaching out to the U.S. as it is a new thing offered.

I love cruising but not at that price !!

Yes .Very expensive :o

Hi Everyone,

Just as an FYI, the Pearl Seas cruises may not be sailing from Miami. Reportedly, some if not all the sailings will be departing from Port of Palm Beach - which is a huge win for the port, as they've been trying to attract cruise ships for years. While it's a very small ship (about 200-250 pax) - but it's a step in the right direction for the port. They are calling it a "cultural voyage", and the prices seem pretty steep.

When you visit Pearl Seas website, they display "South Florida" as the port, but do not define which port. A few local news sources have said that Port of Palm Beach is the port. This port is 52 miles north of Port Everglades, in Riviera Beach.

It will be very interesting to see if Celebrity eventually offers cruises to Cuba, but as Orator mentioned, I believe that legislation must be passed for tourism sailings, and we're not there - yet.

Edited by Host Andy

From what I understand the US Congress needs to pass enabling legislation before normal tourism can resume from the US.

My understanding also and do not believe that is going to happen anytime in the near future.

Edited by dkjretired

This cruise, Fathom, is a small subsidiary of Carnival Corp and requires local volunteer work in Cuba in order to make it legal. So, I don't see X doing this anytime soon. Maybe big brother RCCL is considering something similar to fathom, who knows? But X? No way. Not yet.

One of the excemptions are "people to people" exchanges. I don't think U.S. citizens have to actually do volunteer work to be compliant.

Amazing that we must follow any type of U.S. approved program, no matter what it may be called, that basically controls how we travel and or to where we travel.

It would be nice if we could cruise to Cuba as we could before the travel restrictions. It would be nice if we were FREE to, legally, visit Cuba as the rest of the world is free to do.

Why can't I spend my day or two being driven around in a 50's taxi by a local, maybe spending time watching the sun set from a beach or visiting a few bars and restaurants as I enjoy the local music. I am sorry but I want the same freedom during my visit as the rest of the world without having to jump through hoops and follow silly restrictions.

What if a cruiser decides to stay on board and not participate in the exchange program one day???

Will he or she be subject to criminal charges???

OMO

bosco

My understanding also and do not believe that is going to happen anytime in the near future.

Oceania http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6477

"We don't know the timeline for any of those to come through. But I am hopeful that they will happen before the year is out," Del Rio said.