First cruise on AQ questions

Dmodj

I will be sailing, along with my sister, on the 5 day New Orleans RT in February. This will be our first trip, not only on the AQ, but any cruise where you sleep on board. We have done the Twilight in Iowa and the Spirit of Peoria in Illinois on multi day cruises and enjoyed them both but want to experience a sleep aboard river cruise.

We have booked an E cabin (#205) and would appreciate critique by anyone who has stayed in these types of cabins. We are interested in adding a day or two pre cruise at the Hilton Riverside. Will the AQ handle these arrangements or are we on our own? How are the rooms there? This voyage will not have a HOHO available and I was wondering if there are any pre-cruise tours available from the AQ the morning of embarkation.

We will be driving in and would like recommendations for parking close to the hotel. I believe the Hilton Riverside wants $38 a day which is way beyond what the budget allows.

If anyone has taken the 5 day cruises, I'm starting to wonder if that is enough time to get a feel for river cruising but we thought it would be enough to get our feet wet at least.

I've been reading this board for quite some time in anticipation of our first cruise and have learned a great deal, so thank you to all you prolific posters!

We are eager for February to come and are praying for good weather. Any and all responses are much appreciated.

We had #204 it was great close to the theatre but not too noisy & close to the receptions etc...

it is very private I prefer that to those that open to the ones where people walk by the cabin or sit outside your door

We had twin beds & it was cozy/ bathroom was nice tub& shower combo

some have too much furniture & maybe you could ask to have a table ot chair removed it you find it confining

You should get 1 night hotel prior to the cruise with AQ as part of the package

I would ask AQ about the rates for extra nights & compare to what you can book yourself

Edited by LHT28

Thanks LHT28. Have you found the cabins noisy due to thin walls? Also, does the bay window open?

We found if people have the TV up or talk loud yes it can be bothersome

I do think the windows did open but it has been a couple of yrs since we were onboard

It was nice to lay on the bed & watch the river

We are in 205 right now. It has become our favorite after a=having been in 455, 401 and 402. The only ones that would be better are 201 or 202, which have a large, semi-private balcony at their side, but they are booked quickly and are more expensive. When laying on bed in the mornings in 205 you can look out the large bay windows and watch the river sliding by. We only lower the blinds when we might be in port that morning.

During February I think that the bay window rooms are the best rooms onboard unless you can afford one of the more expensive rooms with a door into the hallway and one out to the guard. Those weather decks can get chilly during winter.

It can get quite cold during February in New Orleans! Snow during winter is not unheard of in the City That Care Forgot. It can also be absolutely wonderful; you just don't know. If the trip is going up to Memphis, I would pack a heavy coat.

Last February I was in New Orleans for my birthday. It was rainy and miserable the entire time there. Like I said, you just don't know!

• 2 months later...
I will be sailing, along with my sister, on the 5 day New Orleans RT in February. This will be our first trip, not only on the AQ, but any cruise where you sleep on board. We have done the Twilight in Iowa and the Spirit of Peoria in Illinois on multi day cruises and enjoyed them both but want to experience a sleep aboard river cruise.

We have booked an E cabin (#205) and would appreciate critique by anyone who has stayed in these types of cabins. We are interested in adding a day or two pre cruise at the Hilton Riverside. Will the AQ handle these arrangements or are we on our own? How are the rooms there? This voyage will not have a HOHO available and I was wondering if there are any pre-cruise tours available from the AQ the morning of embarkation.

We will be driving in and would like recommendations for parking close to the hotel. I believe the Hilton Riverside wants $38 a day which is way beyond what the budget allows.

If anyone has taken the 5 day cruises, I'm starting to wonder if that is enough time to get a feel for river cruising but we thought it would be enough to get our feet wet at least.

I've been reading this board for quite some time in anticipation of our first cruise and have learned a great deal, so thank you to all you prolific posters!

We are eager for February to come and are praying for good weather. Any and all responses are much appreciated.

Hi DMOJE

I will be joining you and your sister on the 5 day Feb. cruise. My daughter and I will be in 543. That is an inside on the Promenade deck.

I did this cruise with my husband a few years ago and loved it.

Since we are only really on the boat for 3 days, this is not going to be a good chance to get the feel of river cruising, but it is still going to be fun.

The weather is a big problem in February. I would be prepared for anything cold or rain.

Where are you from? I am from Culver City California and my daughter is from Atlanta, GA. That really determines what you are used to in Feb.

Also, we are planning on arriving early on Feb. 18 and maybe doing a Hop On Hop Off that day and part of Feb. 19 since we don't embark until late afternoon.

You can contact me at helenatcruisewithusdotbiz if you want to talk about meeting and doing some sightseeing before the cruise.

I will try to answer any questions you have about the boat. I also have info on parking nearby cheaper than at the hotel.

Helen

Edited by CRUISEWITHH
directed to wrong cruiser

Helen,

My sister and I are from the Chicago area so a little snow is not a problem for us but we were hoping for better weather than that. No matter, we are so looking forward to the entire experience a little bad weather will not dampen our spirit. We will probably know more of our itinerary after the holidays so may take you up on your kind offer to answer any questions we may have.

Debbie