I have a 13 year old boy and 15 and 17 girls...

TnTWalter

do all the cruises separate the ages tween 12-14 and 15-17. I understand why they do it. But don't want my son to be left out.

Are there cruises that let them all interact? Thanks.

I was leaning towards Carnival/RCCL and interested in Western Caribbean.

Trish

Royal Caribbean has 12-14 and 15-17 teen groups, however, many times the two groups are combined into one. Unfortunately, you will not know this is going to happen until you are on the ship.

Do you really think your older girls are going to want to hang out with their little brother on the ship? Do you think he is going to want to hang out with them? I would think they would want to do their own thing.

Either way, I would have them go to the meet and greet that is held the first night in the teen club. I bet your son will find some other guys his own age to hang out with for the week.

My son started out the afternoon of day one on the sports court playing pick up games of soccer and basketball and in the living room playing playstation. By the time the meet and greet came around, he already had a few guys and girls that he did things with for the rest of the cruise. He actually stayed in touch with a few of them for years.

He will be happier in a group with age appropriate things for him! It's not like they'll never be together...there are plenty of non-club activities....

You will find that the older teens don't hang in the club much...kids that age generally feel like doing their own thing.

We typically vacation together just the 5 of us and they all 3 hang out together. They are all pretty close. He is my most shy so I worry about him. I would want him the option to be with them.

We've never cruised before.

I did see that carnival has active play 12-17 and digital play 12-17 where they would all be together if they wanted to do that. And of course we can all do things outside of the teen stuff. So maybe not too bad.

If you are cruising when school is in session, it is more likely (but still not guaranteed) that ages will be combined in the kids club due to very small numbers of teenagers on the cruise. I certainly understand that this may not be an option for your family.

Edited by kitkat343

There is sooooooo much stuff to do on the ship, your kids will be fine...I swear! Even if they never step foot into the clubs, they will have a blast! Please don't worry!

BTW, my oldest was VERY shy...and as he aged, he improved so much... he's quite outgoing, now!..something to look forward to! Shyness is a horrible thing....keeps you from participating in so many things, and communicating with so many people.....I was pathetically shy as a child...and looking back at the things I passed up and the time I wasted being shy....I could kick myself.

Edited by cb at sea

thanks everyone. I was just going to post about NCL because I thought it was useful information for those that have kids in that range and want them together.

Now I am trying to find a cruise with cabins that work for us....for a reasonable price. This is why every time I think about cruising I change my mind. We can rent a house for a week and do lots of activities and have tons of space for MUCH less than a cruise. Oy.

Edited by TnTWalter

thanks everyone. I was just going to post about NCL because I thought it was useful information for those that have kids in that range and want them together.

Now I am trying to find a cruise with cabins that work for us....for a reasonable price. This is why every time I think about cruising I change my mind. We can rent a house for a week and do lots of activities and have tons of space for MUCH less than a cruise. Oy.

but you have to drive, and plan those activities, and plan/cook/buy your own food. :eek:

but you have to drive, and plan those activities, and plan/cook/buy your own food. :eek:

The last time we rented a condo for a week down the shore ($4000 for the week), and spent money on rides, games, and food (which I cooked), I realized a cruise was less expensive for our family of 7.