transatlantic weather

retired067

Our experience in Late fall has been decent weather however sailing the northern route to NYC is rougher than sailing the southern route to Florida. We've enjoyed both and we don't sail that time of year for the weather. Enjoy!

have only done one ta southbound from rome to florida and the same again booked for october I like the idea of sailing to new york and then the bahamas but northern seas put me off.......

Edited by gordylad

Eclipse? You go to NYC then Boston and on to Bermuda and Miami. It'll be chilly until the last few days and as C-Dragons says it could be a bit of a ride. The Atlantic is fickle any time of year and you could luck out, but the route you are taking and time of year will make good weather less likely. I had the roughest ride of any cruise I've taken when I did Dover to NYC and that was early September. The weather even then was very chilly because the sea temperature at that latitude is quite a bit cooler than doing say Barcelona straight across to Miami.

Phil

Our transatlantic in early May from Boston to Harwich, England was a little rocky (we were outrunning a big storm) but the weather was OK, not great, not horrible. Chilly and windy but not too cold to walk outside or to leave the balcony door open most days. We had a small amount of rain but nothing serious. There was very little sunbathing around the outside pool, though my husband did his mile or two laps everyday and said the weather was perfect for working up a sweat. :)

The cruise was out of Dover to Amsterdam, Brussels, La Havre, Cobh, Ireland, Halifax ending at Port Liberty. The Cobh - Nova Scotia route was that of the Titanic. The weather was fantast for all of the European ports and Halifax. The crossing was a selection everything one could imagine. This cruise was in November and the temperatures were cold. They had wool blankets out around the pool- definitely not pool weather.

We had a couple days with torrential rains and high seas. On one day we experience about 6 hours of 20 foot waves. Another day, we had fog so thick you could barely see forward to aft, they had to slow down to 3-5 knots. It was rather nice hearing the fog horn blaring.

To top off the trip, I noticed on my GPS that the ship changed course and we were heading north. The Captain came on a couple hours later to tell us we had changed course and were heading toward Greenland. We had an emergency medical problem on board and we had to get close enough for the Royal Canadian Air Force to get a copter out to the ship. The evacuation took place around 5 in the morning. The Captain then deadheaded it to Halifax and full steam and we arrived on schedule. The weather was beautiful the remainder of the cruise and the waters were as smooth as glass.

Edited by Jim_Iain

So glad someone brought up spring weather on a transatlantic. We are taking the Silhouette on April 10th to Southhampton and I was hoping for some feedback from those who have done similar trips? What are spring crossings like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad someone brought up spring weather on a transatlantic. We are taking the Silhouette on April 10th to Southhampton and I was hoping for some feedback from those who have done similar trips? What are spring crossings like?

Northern Spring TA vs. Southern Fall TA are totally different animals. We've done both. Our Spring (May) Northern route was a little rocky, chilly, windy, and wet. Our Fall (October) Southern route was sunny, warm, dry and smooth as ice. I know there is no rule and the Atlantic is fickle, but we got exactly what we expected on both routes. :)

Hi all, looking at a TA from Southampton to New York Nov.01 to Nov.16. What should I expect weather wise, temps and seas.

thanks

We did this cruise in 2014. A storm in the Atlantic forced a last minute change of itinerary - via Maderia, missing Bermuda and arriving in New York later than originally schedule. The captain attempted to avoid the worst of the weather but the crossing was too bumpy for some. New York was extremely cold with a biting wind. Port Canaveral was dismal and those who took shore excursions were cold.

Immigration in New York was a nightmare but I think the cruise now goes to Boston first. [still, immigration arriving in Boston by 'plane can be a nightmare too.] The great thing about our change of itinerary was only having to go through US immigration once.

On the positive side, we missed the storm in Madeira and had pleasant weather there. It was a great cruise on which we met some wonderful people. It is just not one to take for the weather or if you are too fussed by the itinerary.

Edited by Project_gal

Hi all, looking at a TA from Southampton to New York Nov.01 to Nov.16. What should I expect weather wise, temps and seas.

thanks

Ive looked at this trip and one on Anthem Of The Seas that is at the same time of year from Southampton to New York.

I read reviews of Quantum that did the same transatlantic last year and they had poor weather and a bumpy ride. In the end despite the good price and how much we love the Eclipse we decided we didnt want a whole trip where we may have to stay inside all the time or feel under the weather from sea sickness.

I suppose this is why this route is covered by the QM2 since she is an ocean liner not a cruise ship and can handle the seas better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First few sea days should be warm, but it will cool down quite a bit as you head near Lisbon. Up to Southampton will be very cool. Once again latitude has a lot to do with it. I did a transatlantic on the 5th April this year from Miami to Athens. The weather was beautiful the entire trip, but had we been going a bit further north it would have been a different story. I did a Spring transatlantic on Eclipse three years ago from Miami to Southampton and the weather wasn't good. You might just get in a patch of nice weather though that follows you.

Phil

Did a fall TA several years ago. Hit the leading edge of a hurricane. Had 50 ft waves. Water under the balcony doors on the 8th deck, television sets falling off their shelves, china smashing on the floor. Dinner in the MDR was interesting - nothing preset on the tables, either wine or water glasses in use; not both. Missed Iceland and Greenland port stops. Only saving grace, when we finally cleared the awful weather, Captain found a pod of whales which he tracked for an hour. Much fun.

Don't be put off of transatlantics because of bad weather stories, TA's are great and we hope to do many, many more. We have a Miami to Rome booked in April (our first Spring southern TA) and I can't wait! :D

Yes, but that it not a northern route the OP was asking about. Miami to Rome is a totally different animal.

Yes, but that it not a northern route the OP was asking about. Miami to Rome is a totally different animal.

Not sure what your point is. I was responding to someone else's remark and I already addressed the OP many posts earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are booked on Eclipse TA on 01 November. Have done the southerly route Malaga-San Juan and return it was beautiful. But this time we are packing a thick wooly jumper and wind proof coat and a hat for the crossing . . We are B2B with the following Caribbean itinerary so I hoping that after NYC we wont need the cold weather clothes again.

Glyn

Thanks for the info. I know the OP referred to a fall TA route but the thread title wasn't specific. I do appreciate the input. Trying to plan what to pack. Should I start my own thread?

Just chipping in with my own experience - we've done two NYC to Southampton TA's (ie west to east). Both were on QM2. One was in April and was very rough indeed - ship listing 45 degrees (well, it seemed like it anyway!). One was in July and there was no roughness, although in fact the weather wasn't warm at all - I don't remember going out by the pool once.

We're doing a TA from Southampton to FLL (followed by a week round the Caribbean) in November 2016 so definitely curious to know about what people think the weather/seas/temp will be like. I'm guessing we will have to pack for a variety of weather conditions!

Not sure what your point is. I was responding to someone else's remark and I already addressed the OP many posts earlier.

I think the point Project_gal was making is that the OP and all other posts here relate to a northern route North Atlantic ta (at different times of the year), so your example of Miami to Rome isn't relevant to the discussion here.

Phil

I think the point Project_gal was making is that the OP and all other posts here relate to a northern route North Atlantic ta (at different times of the year), so your example of Miami to Rome isn't relevant to the discussion here.

Phil

And again, I was referring to a different poster who DID ask about the southern route AND in the post that Project_gal quoted I was trying to tell the OP to not be put off of TA's because of weather because they are wonderful despite the weather....and I was looking forward to our next TA.

I am rather surprised my one little statement, among many, was singled out as off topic. If someone doesn't read all the remarks in a thread (in my case I DID address the weather on a northern TA earlier) they should probably be careful when correcting someone for their post. Anyone who has been around Cruise Critic long knows how a thread can bounce around other subjects over the course of it's life.

And again, I was referring to a different poster who DID ask about the southern route AND in the post that Project_gal quoted I was trying to tell the OP to not be put off of TA's because of weather because they are wonderful despite the weather....and I was looking forward to our next TA.

Which post was that?

Phil