Transferring in the UK

SnowshoeCat

I don't think I've ever changed planes in the UK before. I've either flown across the pond right to my European destination, or changed in Amsterdam. Amsterdam has always been seamless and easy.

I'm planning a flight from the US to Dublin. If I want to save a few dollars, and not arrive too early, I can skip the non-stop and fly through the UK, either Glasgow, Manchester, or Birmingham. When researching the transfer procedures, it seems that unlike AMS, the UK requires going through immigration, collecting baggage, rechecking it, and re-clearing security, even for transit passengers. Am I reading that right? Has anyone done this recently? There's also the option of transferring in AMS. It's a little further out of the way, but at least I'll have a comfortable three hours to walk around. The BHX transfer was only 2 hours, the others were even shorter.

It was about $100. And in the interest of full disclosure, there's no cruise involved. This is just the only travel-related message board I regularly visit and I've picked up interesting information even when it's someone else's question.

When researching the transfer procedures, it seems that unlike AMS, the UK requires going through immigration, collecting baggage, rechecking it, and re-clearing security, even for transit passengers. Am I reading that right?

That is incorrect.

The UK and the ROI are in a Common Travel Area so you'll clear immigration when you land in the UK. You'll re-clear security too, when you land in DUB you'll collect bags and technically clear customs there, although the reality is with travel with the CTA enforcement and control is very light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

Okay, thank you. So I don't need to worry about my bags, but I will need time to go through immigration and security? Does two hours in BHX sound okay?

BHX may be different, it's a pretty small airport by international standards with minimal connections so it may not be geared up to deal with internatonal connections in the way I'd described which would be the way at say, LHR.

I've used BHX but never for connections.

WOW... You're willing to make 2 stops instead of 1 to save $100 ?? :confused:

Did they scale back your O/T or something? :D

Hae020...............y Buddy (aorry - new cat. he's discovering the keyboard) - I was just in your neighborhood last week!

Anyway, no. I'd actually have to drive to EWR. Gas and parking, and I'd still save over $100 (US), and I don't have to worry about connections.

No O/T, I retired :) But they let me keep my parking spot at the airport for those times I actually do fly from home.

BHX may be different, it's a pretty small airport by international standards with minimal connections so it may not be geared up to deal with internatonal connections in the way I'd described which would be the way at say, LHR.

I've used BHX but never for connections.

The original information I got about the transfers was from the LHR website. BHX's website was a little more vague, probably because, as you say, it's not a major int'l hub. I might just go through AMS. The airport is a destination itself, and I like walking around there. I know, silly, but I actually like airports.

The original information I got about the transfers was from the LHR website. BHX's website was a little more vague, probably because, as you say, it's not a major int'l hub. I might just go through AMS. The airport is a destination itself, and I like walking around there. I know, silly, but I actually like airports.

AMS is undergoing major renovations at the moment.

Anyway, no. I'd actually have to drive to EWR. Gas and parking, and I'd still save over $100 (US), and I don't have to worry about connections.

Geez - if your going to drive that far have you looked into YOW. It's actually a little closer and you can book in Cdn$. Exchange right now is around 30%. I just looked a r/t ticked next Apr (don't know when you're travelling) and the price for YOW/YYZ/DUB was around $850C. At today's rate that is about $645U.

Geez - if your going to drive that far have you looked into YOW. It's actually a little closer and you can book in Cdn$. Exchange right now is around 30%. I just looked a r/t ticked next Apr (don't know when you're travelling) and the price for YOW/YYZ/DUB was around $850C. At today's rate that is about $645U.

R/T YYZ-DUB is $540US. Parking, gas and tolls will still be cheaper than the EWR departure. But...the flight gets in later in the afternoon, making the drive home more difficult. I would need a night in a hotel. Cheap hotels around Niagara Falls and it would almost break even. The return flight to EWR arrives just before noon, and I could probably drive home that day, and arrive before the scheduled connecting flight.

I did look into YOW and the routing would be through YYZ or BOS (or JFK). So I looked at BOS and was routed back through YYZ. It's been fun, checking out all the options.

I now see your pricing out of YYZ and it seems very good. I doubt your seriously looking at it, but if you are here are some considerations. I'm sure you know most of this.

- the highway (427) from IAG to YYZ is prob the second busiest one in Cda esp in the am and early pm and it always seems to be under construction.

- the border crossing at BUF is one of, if not the busiest in/out of Cda.

- TO (Toronto) is huge and easy to get mixed up if you don't know where you're going.

- there are hotels near Pearson that offer up to 14 days free parking and shuttles to the airport at rates similar to parking alone at or near the airport.

- if you're looking at AC for flights they now use Rouge to DUB and I haven't read many good comments on them esp for long haul. Many post here on CC about that.

- Aer Lingus uses a new company called ASL (old Air Contractors) which just started up in June using 757s and I can't find any info on them.

- I'm finding many flights out of YOW thru YYZ at reasonable prices, but again you would prob have to use Rouge or Aer Lingus from YYZ.

If you want to drive, personally I would use EWR - or if I was flying I'd take B6 to JFK and move onward. Good luck in your travel plans.

Doug

Thanks for all that information. If budget was the only consideration, I would drive to JFK and leave my car at my mother's house. There's a bigger "hassle" factor involved with that - the extra drive, the flight times, and getting back to her house - and so amazingly, Newark really does seem like the best option. It's the right balance of cost, convenience, travel time and schedules.