MY cabin is available to book.

Hflors

I booked a cabin on Maasdam for a cruise and on a whim I was looking online at one of my favorite sites. Low and behold there is my cabin. So I went back and checked Hal's site sure enough my cabin is there. I checked my reservation and I have the right cabin. Ok now should I just e-mail the TA? The funny thing is I know the cabin was gone after I booked (I checked) So how could it come back?

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

If you have just check your on line check in with HAL and it is showing your correct cabin number I would not be too concerned. I have seen on two occasions this happen before. If you try to book the same cruise and cabin by the time you get through the process it should tell you that cabin is no longer available. If it does let you place this on hold I would call HAL even if your TA is not available and let them know. But my guess it will not let you get as far as placing the cabin on hold.

Just heard back from TA. She said "we" didn't book the cruise! Not sure what that is all about. Of course now we are having second thoughts about all of this. We aren't sure what we should do.

This is one of the types of garbage that makes me not use a TA, either online or in person.

Another is the cruise only agency that had "booked" several hundred thousands of dollars of cruises and had not booked a thing. They just absconded with the money.

I deal with the cruise line, thank you.

Doc

Did you pay your deposit and get the information from your TA? I might suggest another TA since this one isn't doing what you told her/him to do.

I "thought" I used my FCC's. I just got off the phone with HAL and FCC's are there waiting to be used. I think I am just going to "sleep" on this for now.

Our TA is a very nice person. I have no idea how she got our "signals" crossed like this. We have used her a bunch of times and not had anything like this happen before.

Just heard back from TA. She said "we" didn't book the cruise! Not sure what that is all about. Of course now we are having second thoughts about all of this. We aren't sure what we should do.

You mentioned a "reservation", did it show a HAL booking number? Did you log into HAL to double check the booking number?

Can you think of some conversation you had with the TA which could have led to this confusion? Was she clear you wanted her to make that booking for you? Has she made any suggestions from her as to how this could have happened?

You said in the first post you 'checked your reservation and you have the right cabin'. Do you mean confirmation? You actually have a written confirmation? If so, how could TA NOT have booked?

Edited by sail7seas

Clearly something is amiss. Following an incident some time ago, any time that I book with a TA I request not only the agency's invoice and receipts, but a copy of what they receive from the cruise line. With a clear paper trail, it makes it so much easier to resolve any issues that might arise.

For the OP, I do hope this gets gets resolved to your satisfaction. Very perplexing.

Why would you e-mail? Call them immediately, even if the cabin now shows as not available.

I have never been able to figure out why when a really quick answer is really necessary or an emergency situation occurs, people use e-mail instead of the telephone. I always call and demand an e-mail confirmation of whatever was discussed on the phone so I have a paper trail.

DON

How long ago did you 'think' you had booked?

About 2 weeks ago. I just happened to be looking at the cruise and browsing other available cabins when I saw mine open. The whole thing is so so strange.

About 2 weeks ago. I just happened to be looking at the cruise and browsing other available cabins when I saw mine open. The whole thing is so so strange.

So your initial booking was 2 weeks ago, and then you noticed it was "available" today? Just trying to get it straight in my own mind.

Well at least he cabin is still available and unless the price has gone up there doesn't appear to be any harm. You still have your FCCs in place to use so just have your TA book the cruise. Somehow there was a disconnect but that doesn't mean wrong doing just confusion.

This is one of the types of garbage that makes me not use a TA, either online or in person.

Another is the cruise only agency that had "booked" several hundred thousands of dollars of cruises and had not booked a thing. They just absconded with the money.

Doc

Totally agree. I've had multiple issues using a ta including one that was a manager that I caught in a lie. I haven't had any issues since booking directly.

Doc

In defense of TAs, especially Internet TAs, I've been using them for 11 years now without even the slightest problem. I have done my homework and only deal with well known highly recommended agencies. No matter how you book the OP's situation points up the need to "trust but verify", something that might not have happened in this case.

While it has never happened to me my level of tolerance is about 24 hours. By that I mean once I commit to booking a cruise I expect to be able to see the booking confirmed on the cruise line's website within 24 hours. If not then I'd be getting really engaged with the TA. I'd say my average is 2-3 hours with as little as 15 minutes and as much as 9 hours in a booking made late in the afternoon so having to wait overnight for the cruise line to process. The bottom line for me is never having had an issue and saving an average of 10 to 12% for my bookings. I realize that's not for everybody, it's not a matter of a wrong or right way to book a cruise, we all have different levels of comfort.

Edited by Randyk47

I've booked directly with cruise lines, with TAs and, in some cases, booked directly and handed the reservation on to out TA. No system if perfect, each having pros and cons, and our individual experiences generally lead us to prefer one approach over an other. As a very general statement, I like the control available if I make and keep the booking, but enjoy some or the perks using a TA, but to each his or her own. :)