Hotel near Manhattan Terminal

lr657

DH and I just booked the Breakaway for the September 25, 2016 sailing. We'd like to fly from Florida to NY 1 or 2 days prior to the cruise and spend some time touring Manhattan. I realize that hotels in Manhattan are normally expensive and decided to check out the prices to see how bad it would be. What I found was that most of the hotels near the cruise port or anywhere near midtown are listed as no availability for the dates we would need. I am not sure if they are really booked up, or the dates are just too far out. I also looked into a few hotels in the Flushing/ LI City area which still have availability, but would like to leave this as a last option.

I am looking for any suggestions on hotels and help with the best transportation options. We are open to flying whatever NY airport would work out the best. Would appreciate any advice as this is all new to us. Thanks.

DH and I just booked the Breakaway for the September 25, 2016 sailing. We'd like to fly from Florida to NY 1 or 2 days prior to the cruise and spend some time touring Manhattan. I realize that hotels in Manhattan are normally expensive and decided to check out the prices to see how bad it would be. What I found was that most of the hotels near the cruise port or anywhere near midtown are listed as no availability for the dates we would need. I am not sure if they are really booked up, or the dates are just too far out. I also looked into a few hotels in the Flushing/ LI City area which still have availability, but would like to leave this as a last option.

I am looking for any suggestions on hotels and help with the best transportation options. We are open to flying whatever NY airport would work out the best. Would appreciate any advice as this is all new to us. Thanks.

Sep is a busy month in NYC, so you should book early, but I think its still a bit too early. What is your budget? I think you will be happier in midtown NOT close to the Cruiseport if you can find a hotel in your price range. Your dates should be beyond Fashion Week and the UN General Assembly opening

Definitely too far out to be booking. Wait until it's 11-12 months (but less than 365 days) to start looking. Some places don't open their booking schedule until even less than 11 months out.

138east is correct, you don't want to be really close to the cruiseport, you want to be close to the sites that interest you. Getting to the cruiseport from anywhere in Manhattan is easy, and you only have to do that once. Getting to the action from your hotel (and back) you'll be doing over and over.

Hotels in LIC aren't bad, if OP found a good 100% refundable rates now & book it, just in case - it's just 1 stop from the N/R/Q subway from Queensborough Plaza under the East River to the Manhattan's East Side, Times Square is just 4 or 5 more stops (or via the #7 subway to Grand Central) - tourist class hotels next to or within 2 or 3 blocks of the subway stations, and relatively safe area, with corporate & government offices anchoring here.

Flushing is a bit further away, typically a 35 to 45 minutes ride to Times Square on the #7 subway (a/k/a Oreint Express) - although, weekend services are sometimes modified with bus shuttle via nearby stations if there's track or maintenance work scheduled. LIRR train service to NY Penn Station is just 20 minutes. There are dozens of hotel in downtown Flushing area and more are being built, some will be ready for occupany & taking bookings next year - increased inventory = competitive rates. Not a popular choice for tourists to NY but great for overnight stay close to the 2 airports, JFK and to/from LGA (where almost all of the better ones have free shuttles all day/evening or a $15 car service ride) *** As a "local" for this area, I would recommend & endorse only about half a dozen of them at most - others being on "Do Not Book" list if/when asked by our visiting friends & families, etc. looking for a place to stay, with an additional 2 or 3 good for those with vehicles needing overnight/inexpensive parking in the city.

Found 2 very nice, excellent rates now for next September - LGA Sheraton (39th Ave, almost right above the #7 subway) for $189 and the Marco LGA by Lexington (Northern Blvd - 7 to 10 minutes walk to subway) also at $189 (plus taxes/fees per night, double occupancy) ... don't see the newest Hyatt Place, down the block from the Sheraton showing rates/availability yet, that's the best from my info - and the "Parc" Hotel is a nice one across from the Skyview Shopping Center with Target, BJ & Marshalls and other retails shops, very popular hangout these days. Rates for these are probably about 40% lower than those in midtown Manhattan.

Checkout the AARP/AAA discount & rates for these - and book them as a backup. September is historically expensive for booking hotels in NYC for variety of reasons, including United Nations' annual meeting & other events, and a busy time for Fall foilage cruises, etc.

Also, checkout Lower Manhattan/Wall Street area for weekend/special rates, but they aren't always that much lower - and, you will still be riding the subways to get around (buses are "SLOW" especially going across town, east to west) - you will be closer to sites like WTC and Statue of Liberty, Little Italty & "old" Chinatown, etc. - a matter of budget, priorities & what's important to you. Flyers that travel light & can use mass transit - will find LGA an easy airport to get in/out, with EWR being 2nd. for those sailing out of Manhattan - as a general rule, taxis & car service rides are the most expensive on the NJ side for going anywhere.

Sounding complicated, yes - it is - happy research & planning, please feel free to ask questions & look up some of previous inquiries here. ;)

Thanks everyone. Great, and extremely helpful advice. This is the reason I love cruise critic!

I grew up in Long Island and made numerous trips into Manhattan on the LIRR and rode the subways quite often. Although it's been 15 years since I last visited, I think I will be able to use the subways without much problem. Most of what my husband wants to see seems to be midtown to lower Manhattan. We're hoping to arrive 2 days pre-cruise so we can hopefully visit the WTC 911 Memorial on Friday. Wish we had more time to visit, but it will be difficult to get additional time off from work.

Thanks to all your help, we did book the Marco at a refundable rate to have a back-up. It does have a shuttle from LGA. We will continue to look for a reasonably priced Midtown or Lower Manhattan Hotel. We're hoping to stay below $300/ night if that's possible. While we are visiting/touring we will plan on using public transportation, but since I am definitely not a "light packer" no matter how hard I try, we will use a taxi or shuttle to get to the cruise port.

I am sure I will have additional questions as I continue to plan. Your help is greatly appreciated!

I am cruising 9/12 and too plan to tour NY two days prior. I booked the Holiday Inn on 57th st for under 300/night. Very centrally located and plan to use hop on hop off bus plus subway to navigate. Not my first visit to the Big Apple. :)