No Tracey Arm

gooch47

No, they don't "add" to your next port stop. You wouldn't be in Juneau for two days instead. The port that has to be skipped, for whatever reason, becomes a sea day. They can't just spontaneously show up in ports - those things are planned months, if not a year, in advance - and ports cost money in port fees, taxes, charges for security and customs, etc....If you miss a port, that's why you get refunded port fees. But they don't add ports - otherwise, you would be charged extra port fees!

In this case, Tracey Arm was in the morning, Juneau the afternoon and evening so it wasn't a whole day.

You get compensation if no one dies on your cruise? That's awesome . . . [making note to self to sternly lecture smokers and those opting for hazardous shore excursions].

LOL! When word gets out, they will start pitching people overboard to cut back on the compensation they'll have to dish out. :D

I always feel grateful when Princess diverts to a port (and we possibly miss one). It is very comforting to know that if that were me, I would be taken care of by Princess in that manner.

We have missed ports because of emergencies many times.

Sometimes missing ports because of weather conditions also happens,

a disappointment but fully understandable.

It sure is and as part of onboard medical team I can't believe the number of people who choose to travel without medical insurance. One lady told me she never bothered in the Caribbean. I suppose she thought it was cheaper to medically disembark from there. Not sure why. Please do include the cost of medical insurance as part of the cost of cruising - or any other type of travel. I don't even drive over the border to the states without

Terry

I bought my International Travel Insurance-even though it's a Coastal Cruise Medicare here in Australia doesn't cover Medical Evacuations from a Cruise Ship, the same day I made the booking. Still need to amend the insurance due to altered date of sailing, but have made plans for that.

I rrealized last night that our Medicare Supplemental would be in effect since we are in the US, but don't think it covers evac. Maybe someone can say.

I think you need to look at the ship's registry. For example, if the ship is registered in Bermuda, then when you're on that ship, you're in Bermuda (might be only when it hits international waters.... not sure exactly) so what you want to look at is if your medical coverage will take care of you "out of country".

From what I've seen, the plans offered by the cruise lines themselves have little to no coverage in case of needing a medical evacuation. They're primarily insuring you against trip interruption, and travel-related stuff. I have $500,000 coverage for medical evac on my insurance. And I KNOW that they can cost $100,000 - $200,000 depending on how it has to be handled. Heck, I was Mercy Flighted to a trauma center about 15 years ago.... not from a ship... and it cost over $14,000. They charge by the MILE! :)

That was covered by either auto insurance or health insurance... can't remember exactly. Pretty sure it was the other guy's auto insurance though. (He hit me head-on while he was passing on a curve at 55mph)

I look at it like this... I'm doing something unusual (cruising/traveling) and it carries some inherant risks that I normally would not encounter and which I'm SURE are not covered under my regular health plans. So... I take out extra insurance. :) In the overall scheme of things, it's not that expensive. I think mine was less than the port fees and taxes and stuff.

I meant if we were taken to a hospital in Alaska.

And we get outside insurance on every trip. Especially since years ago a cruiseline went bankrupt on us. If we had had their insurance we might have been out of luck.

Edited by gooch47

We didn't get any additional insurance on our Alaska cruise last month. We are healthy and we were in the U.S. so much of the cruise that we were willing to gamble. After what I heard I have changed my mind.

While on the cruise I overheard some people saying their friend was taken to the hospital in Ketchican. They couldn't provide proper care there so the hospital had her helicoptered to Juneau. They weren't certain that Juneau could provide the care, in which case she would have to be helicoptered to Anchorage. Wow! Can't imagine the expense. They did say she had some insurance.

We usually do buy additional medical insurance, with high coverage for medivac but when reading the fine print most of the policies say: "no U.S. stops". So be very careful what you buy. It would be tough finding a policy with coverage in Alaska and I believe the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are also considered US stops on the Caribbean cruises.

Edited by more cruises

For the past 5 or so years now I've always gotten a temp policy from MedJet Assist for medical evacuation. It kicks in when I'm at least (I believe) 50 miles from home and admitted to a local hospital. So this policy would fly me to a hospital of my choice, at home.

So far the money spent on that has been the worst expense of paying for a cruise, in that I've never had to use that - knock on wood.

Edited by Treven

I meant if we were taken to a hospital in Alaska.

And we get outside insurance on every trip. Especially since years ago a cruiseline went bankrupt on us. If we had had their insurance we might have been out of luck.

The Princess insurance is sold by Princess, but is with an insurance company not owned by Princess.

So if Princess went bankrupt, the insurance should still be there.

There are not that many hospitals in AK and during our various tours a number of locals said they buy evacuation insurance every year because any accident/illness/injury beyond what can be handled at an urgent care level of care means they get flown to Anchorage. One person just had a broken leg that required surgery and the evac bill was over $20,000 they said. Definitely need the coverage in AK as much as any other more exotic locale.

Can't comment on the different types of medical insurance as we only get involved when we have to disembark a guest and call whichever insurance company involved - if any. Just know that the number of times we ask for details of insurance company many US citizens assume Medicare/blue cross or whatever their normal insurance company will cover I don't think they do normally. Just as our Canadian coverage doesn't include medivaccing. I do know that there have been many very expensive broken bones and acute medical conditions that can give you a very high level of cost - even with younger people. I always smile on CC when I see people getting their knickers in a twist about the cost of tipping or hotel service charges and it's so small compared to the cost of a medical disembark, even in Alaska

Terry

Hi All

Princess requires us to have medi insurance and the details including phone number of assistance company before we can print our cruise documents

Yours Shogun

Why? I have sailed with princess several times and this is a first! Why would they care if you have insurance? It is to protect you, not them??

Why? I have sailed with princess several times and this is a first! Why would they care if you have insurance? It is to protect you, not them??

Unless this is something new with Princess. I never got insurance on any of my cruises until I had to cancel a cruise a couple weeks prior to departure; broke my leg & tore 3 ligaments in my ankle. I lost the entire amount paid for the cruise. I assure Princess didn't care that I didn't have ins. They may even resold my cabin.

Edited by Treven

Note that shogun lives in Scotland. It may be something to do with living in Europe. I have noticed that those living in Australia sometimes have different situations that we do in the US.

Tom

Currently on the Ruby. Yes, we missed Tracey Arm and we also were signed up for the small craft excursion. Disappointed, yes. So as soon as I had cell coverage going into Juneau I did a Google search for Tracey Arm excursions and came up with the company that Princess uses for their excursion. Called and left a message to call me (it was just a little after 7 am). Got a call back about 8 am, found out that there was an excursion leaving at 10:30 am and back at 5:30 pm and they had 4 seats available. Great, booked it and gave my cc number. Great excursion, saw whales on the way out, saw the glaciers up close and personal and saw a few more whales on the way back. Highly recommend Allen Excursions if you are ever in Juneau.

BTW, and not sure about the accuracy here, but, we spoke to a lady who seemed to be informed about the medical emergency that caused us to miss Tracey Arm. Apparently it was a young man who came aboard with an abdominal pain and it latter developed into an acute appendicitis issue. Tough deal for him, and, even a tougher deal for all of the rest of the passengers. Hey folks, if you have pains, have them checked out before boarding. Everyone else will appreciate it even if you never hear it. Plus, it might save you a lot of problems and maybe even your life. :cool:

Coming from the UK we always need travel insurance for medical cover wherever we go and premiums for covering the US are always greater than for elsewhere. Our current worldwide insurance which covered our Alaska cruise last year and will cover our upcoming Panama Canal cruise, allows up to £10 million for medical expenses including transfer to a suitable hospital, but for costs over £350 the company must be contacted asap. So I assume in an onboard emergency, Princess want our insurers details so they can contact them to ensure approval of costs.

and it latter developed into an acute appendicitis issue. Tough deal for him, and, even a tougher deal for all of the rest of the passengers. :

Um...no...it was a tougher deal for him. I've seen appendicitis in the ER before.

BTW, and not sure about the accuracy here, but, we spoke to a lady who seemed to be informed about the medical emergency that caused us to miss Tracey Arm. Apparently it was a young man who came aboard with an abdominal pain and it latter developed into an acute appendicitis issue. Tough deal for him, and, even a tougher deal for all of the rest of the passengers.

Lots of people have stomach pain for a variety of reasons (many of them mundane) but few cases turn out to be appendicitis. But when it does, it can go bad in a hurry. If the appendix isn't removed promptly, it can become life threatening. The tough deal definitely wasn't for you or the other passengers.

Didn't mean to minimize the seriousness of the young man's situation. Tougher wasn't the best word to use in characterizing the passengers situation. Probably "bad luck" may have been a better word. I probably should have just left the last paragraph of my former post off entirely as it wasn't my point of posting at all, just an after thought.

Back to my cruise and back to your regularly scheduled flaming...... :cool: